I know it's early

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jan 8, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What are the rules/regs on bringing a handgun? I'm not sure I want to do this, but I might.

2. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,
    It is legal to carry a handgun for protection in Colorado, that being said, I don't as it's just 4 extra pounds that I really will never need. But if you do desire to do so, it IS perfectly legal.

3. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What Doug said....I do not carry one either because of the added weight.

4. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfyTw7gwUO8

I've never been mistaken for a religious fanatic. But.............just thinking of the things I'm gonna see, there, humbles me in a way I can't exlain. I wanted to share with you something I think about a lot, while I'm afield. When I'm out in the woods, I think about all the people who will never get to experience the things God allows me to see. I thank him for the view, often, while I'm there. When 9/11 happened, I remember people asking "how could God allow this to happen?". I remember someone saying, then....."Where would we be, now, without God?". Awesome perspective.

I've always been a HUGE fan of gospel bluegrass music. Ron Block is the banjo/guitar player for Alison Krauss and Union Station. Ron writes some BEAUTIFUL gospel tunes. I met Ron several years ago, and he's always been accessible to me. Ron wrote a song a few years ago (see link, below), that has a line in it that solidifies what I'm talking about (what we get to see). He writes....

"In all the things that cause me pain, you give me eyes to see.
    I do believe but help my unbelief".

"There is a Reason". That's beautiful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWXNm9b6pKs

I was talking to Ron, via email, a while back.....about the song. Here's what he said...

I think John Denver had this in mind, also, when he said "Talk to God and listen to the casual reply".

Every one of us will take different things home with us from this experience. I plan on coming home with a full 8G SD card....and a full heart.

First time out there with my recurve, I feel like I'll be walking with the pioneers of bowhunting; the pioneers of our country......and my maker. I've got a new Silvertip that should be here in a few weeks. It'll be inscribed "There is a reason".

Pardon me if I check-out for a few days, early on. I'm expecting nothing less.

Looking forward to making some life-long friends on this trip. And, I can't thank Will enough for blessing me with this opportunity.

187 sleeps. See you, there.

5. bz_711

bz_711 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Amen Jeff.
    Everything about this trip is Huge for me...and hopefully the first of many.

6. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hopin to go home with a camera full of pictures , a head full of goodtime memories and a belly full of Venison , Salmon , bacon , PBJ and whatever else is on the menu lol . Hey Will , are gonna get any of that delicious Aligator this year ?

7. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,
    A very good perspective indeed. I know that I have a peace like no other that is in me when I am in the mountains taking in the beauty and realizing that I am but a small minute little piece of a much larger thing. I've enjoyed a few nice afternoon siestas w/ the sun shining down on me as I laid my bow in my lap and leaned back against a rock and closed me eyes. I look forward to a couple more in about 6 months!!! Regardless of whether we come home w/ punched tags or not, we'll come home with memories and experience that will last our lifetimes. For me, the opportunity to hunt with others who are REALLY there to hunt will be enjoyable. As I was a SOLO artist last year, and the previous trip my buddy just wasn't prepared for what we encountered, this time around will be a completely different scenario, and one that I also greatly appreciate the opportunity for. I SHOULD have considered it a little more last year, but I had my sights set on a specific area, and right or wrong, I went there, gained some more experience, and got the opportunity to take some GREAT photos of that area as well.

For those of you who've never hunted in the mountains, in some ways, you'll come home changed men, men who will likely yearn for September to come again so you can again be in those mountains chasing what I believe is North America's most Majestic game animal....the Wapiti!!!

8. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you who've hunted with Wilbur......(you, too, Wilbur).....how does it usually go down?

I was out stump shooting, this morning (under the guise of shed hunting)....and I got to thinking about how I go about that. "Quantity" or "Quality"? Do I move at a pretty good clip....and cover as much ground as possibe? Or, do I slow it down and look more intently? Got me wondering how you guys view your elk hunting....and more specifically, how this fits into Will's preferred method(s) of hunting in his back yard.

Just curious.

I'll post up a couple photos from the day, later. BTW....for you trad guys (and compound)....I came across a KILLER little bowhunting cap, this week. I shoot with a vertical bow. So...ANY cap with a bill (of any length) is a no-go. I've been searching for the perfect bowhunting cap for over 2yrs.

I found it!

Wilbur.....send me a PM with your address. You've got one coming your way. I ordered a backup for myself and one for you. I'll get it in the mail, this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And....my new "perfect bowhunting" cap. The bill has wire in it. When you want to flip it up, it stays out of the way of the string.

[​IMG]

And....my second favorite girl got in on the fun, too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  9. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Gomer-freakin-Pyle dude!!! Bwahahaha

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At least this Gomer gets it done, Bobby.....lol.

11. LAEqualizer

LAEqualizer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh, the "True" Jeff shines as always.

It was a joke dude.

And I always get whatever I set out to do, "done". Maybe not on your calendar, but...

Ahh nevermind butthead.

12. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Your presence in this thread shows the "real" Bobby.

Now.....sign on.....or move along. Nothing to see, here.;)

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff,

I cover as much ground as possible in a given day. I tend to pick up on the little things which alert me to elk in the area (e.g. cropped grass, smells, fresh dung and tracks). When I see these things together, I slow down. Naturally, a bull's bugle places him on the radar. If he continues to bugle, I move as fast as possible (staying silent) to close in. I pay enormous attention to the wind- wind direction is so critical.

A lot of time you will simply bump into elk as hunters stir the woods. You will have a 30-50 second window to connect the dots. Elk are big-sometimes they move with all the thunder of Zeus! Other times, elk move quieter than a church moose. It is amazing how such a large animal can materialize right in front of you in a matter of seconds. You had better be ready when he/she does.

The best thing I can pass along is some advice I gave Cavan Sullivan (he'll be hunting with us). Elk hunting is a 5 minute window of opporunity. Stay positive, stay positive, and stay positive. They are magical. They appear and disappear like a thought. They can be within fifty yards of the truck, or they will be over the next hill! The moment you say, "there are no stink'n elk here", your hunt is finished. You might as well pack your bags and head home. You have to find that place on the mountain where you are given your window. It's cool, the things you see and hear in your search...

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  14. Jeremiah Johnson

Jeremiah Johnson Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shot my recurve last night at the club - best I've shot in months. The shoulder's feeling good, so I'm starting my 3-month journey through P90X. If the shoulder holds up to that rigor, then I'm good to go. If not, the doctor says the surgery will only hold me up 3-6 weeks - either way I'll be tip top well before September.

I'm looking forward to covering lots of ground Will. I still have to pick up a few items for my framed pack (bivy tent, bivy sleeping bag, backpack stove, and a few odds -n- ends), but I'll be ready. Definitely will be ready for God's original church and the one place I find Him most - wild solitary places.

15. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice one Mark , you'll be good in no time ;) .

Will , I love the way you summed up Elk hunting .

16. UKBowhunter

UKBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Will, is there likely to be (or has there been in the past) a lot of hunting pressure in this area?

Personally I am not too bothered as I will have to work hard to get my Elk anyhow:)

So what are the calls of choice? I suppose cow calls are prefered over bugles?

I have been practicing with my Primos diaghpram calls, at last i don't sound too much like a strangled cat ;)

17. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Mark,

There will be other hunters in the area, but the vast majority will be part of our group. Don't worry too much about this. I like more than less. More keeps the woods churning.

I stay "silent" and coincidently the same letters used to spell silent spell "listen". I will only call as a last ditch effort. Some guys have the magic when calling. I do not. I used a host of calls. The Hoochie Mama is awesome...so are diaphragm calls.

18. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not bad Will, not bad!! ;)

19. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :D Very good.

20. UKBowhunter

UKBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like ;)