I know it's early

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Iamyourhuckleberry, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be glad of my GPS after my last trip LOL , but i will have a map and compass too .

A word of warning for the map and compass guys , the mountains have a lot of iron in the ground and your compass needle will be dancing . I found that what may be North when i look in one place , is not North 20 paces down the trail . GPS is a good option IMHO .

2. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Agree on the map/compass.

BUT....one beauty of the GPS is the tracking feature. I can easily see where I've been.....and can backtrack, while following my progress on-screen.

In the dark OR light......I'm betting most would be VERY surprised at how quickly you can get off track, walking. I'm talking FEET.....not yards or miles.

3. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I didn't notice that much variation that I couldn't navigate my way in all honesty. I know TRUE North and magnetic north is a few degrees off out there as it is MOST places, but not so much I couldn't navigate it. I more "orienteer" often times than navigate anyhow. The couple times I've been out there, if I could find a place ONCE, I could generally get right back on it without the aid of a compass or GPS, just by terrain association. GPS is nice, but GOOD MAPS in my honest opinion are BETTER. That being said, the maps available from BLM are a little more "rough (1:100k)" than I like, therefore, I use them along w/ a custom map I make using ACME Mapper that will get me down to 1:24k - 30k thus adding MORE DETAILS to what I'm dealing with in a specific area. Looking at the area, I'll likely have 4 maps made up that are going to be laminated 8 x 11 size of 4 separate area in a 1:24-30k resolution, and the GPS will be for marking spots of interest or hopefully WHERE an animal is down, rather than true "navigational" purposes.

4. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let me give everyone a little peace of mind. The Continental Divide is essential our western boundry. If you're hunting west of Hgwy 24 and are lost, then head straight downhill. Eventually you will hit a road. If you're on the east side of Hgwy 24. I doubt anyone will ever crest the eastern high mountain ridges. Thus, if you are lost, head downhill. Eventually, you will hit a road. Bails is right, this area is loaded with of iron. You can get some pretty funky compass reading. A gps in conjunction with a compass/map would be a good thing to have while getting fimilar with the area. I use both! This area has good landmarks...cell phone coverage at the tops is spotty-but there. If you have a radio, bring it. You can uses them for communication purposes (e.g. I saw an elk over there, I need help to get this animal out, etc). Our CDOW does not tolerate radios use to further wildlife crimes. And they are listening-trust me.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  5. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Will, that clarifies a little bit. Don't get me wrong, I'm bringing my GPS, I just generally don't use it for navigational purposes, and I certainly won't be without a GOOD detailed map.

6. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Doug,

The gps is awesome for saving steps. Secondly, it comes in handy when you side hill and want to maintain a given elevation. The map and the Gps will keep a person from dropping down only to climb back up...

7. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For staying on trail and getting back to camp I'll be bringing both a GPS and compass plus map. My pack will consist of plenty of extra batteries(GPS and flashlight), matches, just enough paper to help start a fire, flourescent orange survival whistle, small first aid kit, wipes, water, small snacks, along with my second set of camo( most likely fleece), rope, extra knive, Gerber exchange-a-blade saw. I NEVER go into any hunt without the Gerber saw............lol.

I do take a pill for my heart once a day.....no biggie. Its for Atral fibrillation of which I inherited.

Last trip I basically hunted alone, varmints don't bother me though I may bring a pepper spray along.

8. excelpoint

excelpoint Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys. Whats the chances of doing some small game hunting? What sort of critters? I know we are all chasing elk, bear and mulies but I love small game hunting as well.

9. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Plenty of tree rats and rabbits on hand. The grouse season will be on too. You will need a small game license though.

10. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    I arrowed this grouse last year, and shot a tree rat as well, but there wasn't enough of him left to really even consider bothering with.....
    Sorry, not a great pic, but I was busy pulling the breast meat out of it when I realized I maybe I should take a pic....::D
    [​IMG]

I never saw any rabbits over where I was, but the tree rats were plentiful, and I saw what I believe was a Marten, or Fishercat or whatever they call them, chasing squirrels up in some dark timber one early morning.

Looked just like this guy......not sure if they are legal game or not, but it sure was a pretty animal.....[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  11. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That right there Is a Fisher. Mean little bastards they can be.

12. UKBowhunter

UKBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So what small game can you shoot? Over here there is not seasons on pest species (rabbits, foxes, hares etc...)

I know it is different in the USA as some are classed as fur bearers (don't wanna be on the wrong side of the law :/ )

13. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/SeasonDatesAndFees/SmallGameDatesandFees.htm

Looks like the Rabbits won't be legal until Oct. 1st, squirrel, grouse, and several other species will be however.

14. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  15. excelpoint

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I will get a small game tag as well. Better bring a few more arrows I think. Whats the go with feathers for shooting tree dwelling stuff? Are Flu Flu's reccomended?

16. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Myself and Mark have set a challenge who gets the first mount and believe me , if i get a tree rat .... it will be getting mounted :) .

Anybody fancy bbq tree rat around the fire , i'll try it .

17. UKBowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I won't be mounting anything :p But would to see you trying to 'mount' a squirrel....LOL that brings images i dont want to imagine :p

Seriously though, in Tx last year I had a tree rat within about 2 mins of arriving at camp:D

'Bring it on..':D

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  18. excelpoint

Dislikes Received:
    Why not I'll try anything once.:D

19. ironranger

ironranger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    OHBowhntr, that's a cool pic of that fisher. I've only seen a few of those in Northern MN over the years. Fairly elusive animal. I was grouse hunting one day and found one caught in a ground trap. It was illegal to trap them at the time in MN so I got a tire iron and let him loose. I was at eye level with him as he climbed the tree until chain stretched. I popped trap off his toes and he ran up the tree. Certainly would never mess with someone trap but as I said it wasn't legal to trap them then. That was cool to see one so close.

20. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    and

Not my picture, I sure wish I'd kept my camera more handy (note to self, one thing I WILL try to do this year is KEEP the CAMERA readily available), I stole it from Wiki, but that was what I saw zipping across a shelf after tree rats. I got to watch him for a short few through my binoc's which was pretty cool. Really neat animal. At first I thought it was a bear cub....:eek:.....then when I realized it wasn't, I was able to "relax" a little more.