Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Official Live From The Stand Thread - 2024

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Jun 17, 2024.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It’s time!

Let us begin!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

alenhard15, Wedes, Logman and 2 others like this.
  2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    And here we go!

Anyone else out there counting down the days until the bow season opener?

I haven’t decided if I’m going to hunt Kentucky or not this year. If I do then opening day will be 07 September.

If I don’t then the Missouri opener will be on 15
    September.

I have no cameras out and my bow has been hanging and collecting dust since March but it’s about time to dust it off and start practicing.

How about everyone else?

dmax4me and MUDSHARK like this.
  3. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    About 3 months to go here, the usual prepping going on here finalizing where I want to put stands this year. I have figured out that my neighbors to the west have changed the deer movement drastically so I have to adjust for that.

Tony and LittleChief like this.
  4. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I may try for a velvet buck in Kentucky… but if not, definitely going in November

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    You’re going to have to go really early to have a shot at a velvet buck. Early September buck patterns are so different from their November patterns. You have to know where and how they live.

I’m not sure Jan will let you make that trip twice in the same season Tony. :lol:

MUDSHARK and Tony like this.
  6. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was out doing a little scouting with my 5 year old for her inaugural glassing session. She said she was bored around 8:30, so we started to pack up. As we were driving away, I finally spotted the first one. We then stopped and brought the glass back out. We ended up spotting 8 deer! She is hooked.
    Then, on our way home, we saw the doe/fawn. That thing was tiny. She was so excited! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sept 21st is early opener in Pa section 2B , I’m on a mission this year. My buddy got a new dog and it’s a Hanoverian scent hound. He’s been training it for tracking and needs tracks to practice, the doe are in trouble!! Got some cams out on the home farm and mineral sites in Pa and Ohio. Been shooting my bow a little, but gonna ramp that up. All my gear is ready to roll. Still need to do some land work and trim some trees out. It will be here b4 we know it!

8. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fine, I will repost my last post from the 2023 thread as my first post here. Haven't shot in almost a month. That was my first five shots from 25 yards last night.

[​IMG]

9. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Tried to shoot through any gates lately Adam?
    :lol:

cantexian likes this.
  10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Day 124 of unemployment...
    Interviews are now getting in the way...

2 interviews today (3 yesterday). Interviews while I was at the beach, last week. I won't be able to tend to the hedge trimming till the hotest part of the day.

On the positive side:
    -I'm cautiously optimistic based on the number of interviews the past few weeks...I'm hopeful i will be returning as a productive workgorce statistic.
    -My daughter, SIL and grand daughter took us to the beach for some R&R last week.
    -It's been so hot and dry, the lawn has stopped growing.
    -Deer started showing up in the yard...that should get the fire lit...
    -I'm glad I've been frugel...hadn't started on the new house yet and have minimal expenses and have had the chance to 'test drive' retirement before committing.

alenhard15, dmax4me, MUDSHARK and 5 others like this.
  11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not recently, although the neighbor behind us put up a privacy fence last week. If not me, I am sure one of my boys will test its strength at some point.

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The Solution was due for a string set, so I just recently put a new x99 Catfish set on it. First time I've done it myself, love having a press and draw board now. It is dialed in and set back up as of about three weeks ago. I have been staying in practice, I shot an indoor winter league and four 3d shoots with the RevoltX, and just did a 5th 3d shoot with the Solution two weeks ago. I shot my best 3d score of the year with the Solution, feeling good about my "hunting bow" setup right now.

Everything is really green and tall at the property right now, should be lots of good feed for the bucks to get plenty of nutrients for rack growth this year. It has been so wet that the corner where we put the trailer for summer camping was finally dry enough to do so just this weekend. I did a lot of weed-eating, including my "archery range" area where I stay in practice during the summer. I probably burned 5 tanks of fuel through the weed-eater on Saturday, my back and shoulders were barking by the time I was done. I still have some more to do, including all the trails I like to chop out for the deer to use and for quiet entry for me once I'm hunting them.

Found a new trail this Spring when mushroom hunting, it is a fairly steep hillside that I rarely wander into and has pretty thick brush and some timber. The trail was really torn up when I found it but that was from the elk I get moving through the property a lot in the Springtime. But it looks like the kind of trail through thick cover that a sneaky mature buck would use too, I have high hopes for it. I hung a camera on it this weekend. It may be a tricky spot to hunt for wind and thermals, it is steep and thermals will rise/fall with temperature for sure and there is a lot of contour that may have the wind doing something you wouldn't expect. I will have to do some more studying on that before picking out a tree for the climber if the camera shows deer are using it often.

13. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

I assume, back behind the old house?

Hopefully you've got the cam on vid and can keep an eye on any movement and the wind.perhaps with the right conditions you can time am ambush (coming up, dropping back down with thermals or with a storm).

alenhard15 likes this.
  14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am getting reports from the farm, it was a good winter for the deer and good numbers of fawns.

15. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It is on the other side of the road from the old house/cabin.
    It would be the N.E side of the property on the big canyon side. Almost due east and a bit south (I think that would be a correct direction off the top of my head) from the lowest point in the canyon that you identified as a potential bedding area.

I do not hardly ever run the camera in video mode, too much vegetation and wind equals too many false videos that eat up card space and cam batteries. It is in picture mode.
    I think I'll put out a wind indicator though, one that will easily move with the thermals or wind. Something like a frayed piece of serving material, like I used to always tie to my bow for a quick wind reference, when I first started elk hunting (why don't I still do that?). Close enough to the camera that when it snaps a pic I can see what direction it is pointing.

wl704 likes this.
  16. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pffft. I can't even begin to describe how not ready I am for this fall. Maybe after I close on the new house and get moved in, I'll think about it. Glad this crap is happening now and not this fall.

17. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Light duty day due to still being sick...set mouse bait stations in blinds, repaired holes and cleared nests..

arrowflinger1 and ash d like this.
  18. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like clover next door. Corns about a foot high and first hay was cut and rolled on other boarder farm.
    My land is a sea of rye all different hieghts but headed out. Thick clover in parts and thick vetch in other sections. . Chestnuts flowering, peaches and apples growing well.
    Berries everywhere and loaded.
    I'm now really thinking I might just let it all be this year. I do HAVE TO deal with area infront of old reliable bad weed growing and nothing else, hit with lime and dragging in seed after I deal with the weeds

19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And another season apon us! Looking forward to another great season with you guys and gals! Won't be long

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

alenhard15, MUDSHARK and oldnotdead like this.
  20. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You move so much you need an RV...

Up near Hendersonville or back towards G'Boro?

Ridgerunner3 likes this.