Cannabis Food Plot

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by opossumhunterNC, Nov 17, 2022.

1. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So I am sitting in my deer stand this morning waiting for first light and letting my mind wander and I came across this thought…. I’ve heard that deer absolutely love eating marijuana plants and are the bane of an outdoor pot growers existence. That got me thinking… I wonder how a marijuana food plot would work. Apparantly they don’t really like to eat it until it’s almost ready for harvest in lte fall which would be perfect for a food plot since they would leave it alone during the summer so that the food plot has a chance to get established and you could come and it wouldn’t be full of deer so you could come and go as you please to hang stands and tend to the plot without spooking all the deer out of it, then once deer season gets under way and the plot reaches maturity, all the sudden you’ve got the hottest food source around….

This is obviously a hypothetical for me in NC, the authorities around here aren’t too fond of the devils lettuce, but for those of you who hunt in a state where a marijuana food plot wouldn’t get you a decade in prison…. Anybody want to try out a new type of food plot next year? I’d be very curious to hear how it works!

Worst case scenario: the deer don’t like it and you just harvest it for yourself and your friends.

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would be afraid it would attract mostly people. But I have heard of talk from people that do hunt them and do well. But I believe most places that grow it for personal use have a lot of rules and mostly likely have it fenced. And probably limited to a certain amount of plants per person. I've found a few outlaw grow spots over the years. I've come back to area later in the year and they are gone. The biggest place I find them is in a middle of a nasty thicket, which in turn is same place deer would bed anyway.

I think in a commercial application, this could work fairly well.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

3. JeffC

JeffC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    can see it now, "THC infused venison" :rock:

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yet, some of the most laid back deer...

5. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A hybrid that I call Kentucky sensimilla. You can play 18 holes on it and after get stoned as the bejesus.

Dude I thought my mind wandered when bored on the stand. I made up an I miss you letter to the deer today. Pretty proud of it and no jazz cabbage was anywhere in sight.

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Quoting Carl spackler, 6 points.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here for the comments.
    "THC infused venison", "jazz cabbage"...that's the stuff.

I thought deer were supposed to be baked AFTER you shoot them?
    Do you put your stand on the hemp plot? The sugar beet munchie plot? The cotton mouth waterhole?
    Stoned deer have to be a bit easier to hunt, don't they? Or do they just get all paranoid and then go crawl into heavy cover to take a nap?

oldnotdead and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Regular food plot seed is getting expensive, I can't imagine what a weed plot would cost in seed.
    This said I've had great success with sunn hemp. The other great one that looks more like weed in leaf structure is kenaf( sp? ) It's been a while I have to look that spelling up.
    Holy Hanna!!!!!!!
    That seeds has gone up to 30.00 per pound! Last time I bought it it was 30.00 for 10#'s WTH!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  9. Wop 75

Wop 75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You could consider planting Sun Hemp. I have read deer love it I'm thinking of planting some this year.

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plant it with cow peas because the deer will hammer the hemp. My first planting of hemp and kenaf never got over 4" tall. After that cow peas went with them and I was able to get 6 ft and the yellow flowers on a few. Also beware the mowing or tilling these are grown for fiber...they produce strong fiber. Any stalks that survived the deer I DR'd to avoid shaft winding on the bush hog.

Wop 75 likes this.
  11. RiyaAndersen

RiyaAndersen Newb

Dislikes Received:
    While it's unfortunate that it's not feasible in NC, it's interesting to think about for those in more cannabis-friendly states. Who knows, it could be the ultimate deer attractant! And if it doesn't work out, like you said, you'd have a personal stash. For those who can give it a try, they should definitely check out https://releaf.co.uk for their cannabis needs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2023
  12. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Legalized states have limits on the number of plants, not enough to make a plot.

13. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    @Justin this user is a bot posting **** written by chat GPT. Ban him.