Team 7 - 0% Let Off

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by Rick James, Aug 28, 2022.

1. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats bro, on a roll, going to be a dad ( awesome) soon. Now this in the first part of the archery season. Sweet buck!!!!

alenhard15 likes this.
  2. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely done man!

alenhard15 likes this.
  3. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just three doe for me this evening, but nothing in range. It was good to be back in the saddle again (figuratively and literally)!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

alenhard15 likes this.
  4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t think my self filming skills will ever land me on BHOD but here is my video!

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hah, very cool!

alenhard15 likes this.
  6. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck!! Congratulations man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alenhard15 likes this.
  7. Whackemnstackem

Whackemnstackem Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just checking in sorry for not being on here lately. West central Illinois is where I live and hunt passed a bunch of 3 year olds last year. Hope to kill 1 of them this year. Nice bucks so far boys let’s keep it going. Love the name.

8. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone been able to hunt this week? It’s been a hot week in NC with temps in the 90s but we are getting a nice cold front on Friday that will dip the highs into the low/mid 70s and lows into the low 50s!
    I’m hoping to hunt Friday afternoon and Saturday

alenhard15 likes this.
  9. spiker44

spiker44 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thats Awesome !!

alenhard15 likes this.
  10. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Wife’s birthday this weekend so I will not be hunting, next weekend PA my home state opens up, going to do some prep work this week and try to find a good spot to hopefully get on some does, or bucks for opening day!

Ryan Cornelius and C0wb0yChris like this.
  11. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be headed out tomorrow for either the morning or the evening, unfortunately not both. I'll probably find a patch of white oak trees and hunt over them for the evening, but I've got reservation about leaving deer to find deer.
    Give me your opinions about my prospects:
    Hunt the same property I hunted on Sunday, in a different spot, a pinch point been two ag fields where i killed my buck last year on November 3. I've had loads of movement around that stand over the last couple weeks, but very inconsistent (at least walking past my cell cam). I don't want to over pressure this property as it's my only chunk of private that has quality daylight movement of anything more than a spike/forky that I've seen thus far this season on camera.

Other options are a few public chunks with oak flats that I scouted this spring prior to and during turkey season. In MN you can't use trail cams on public so I have to idea what's around, I didn't find any sheds while out scouting so it would be pick an area, get out early and set up over the best sign.

I tried the easy hunt on Sunday and it didn't net me anything except a relaxing night hanging in the saddle. I really want to put a deer down here before heading to Wyoming... in 10 days.

Let me know what you fellas would do and why.

12. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    I am a fan of never leave deer to find deer, if you are leaving for Wyoming in 10 days I say hit your private farm, the pressure will cool off while your in WY then it will be like a reset when you return!

MUDSHARK, Hotrod9 and Tink-a-Link like this.
  13. Ryan Cornelius

Ryan Cornelius Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats man!!!

alenhard15 likes this.
  14. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Cell cam right by my couch in the sky (2 man ladder stand) is going off right now with every deer on the farm... Except the big ones that I'd want to use my buck tag on... Hopefully it'll be similar tomorrow night!

alenhard15 and C0wb0yChris like this.
  15. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    That’s exciting!!! Should be a good sit

16. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got a chance to go check up on a few things at the hunting land tonight (~450 acres north central Minnesota). In the center of the map below on the south side of the road. We did a pretty substantial logging of the property about 5 years ago (~200 acres) . Things are growing in really thick and nice. There is no shortage of green things for them to eat. However it is very hard to see, I think that’s a good thing though. I know where the nastiest thick swamp bedding is on the property. I took a nice 140 10 pointer last season with my rifle. I have a couple spots that I know I can go when the timing is right I can go to and if we have a nice buck on the property that’s he should be based on many years of hunting here. Good luck everyone this weekend if you are headed out. I’m going golfing with my dad and brother for my dads birthday. Going to try and get 72 holes in 3 days. 510E8069-A018-491B-ACE6-35C91E2D3957.jpeg

17. alenhard15

Dislikes Received:
    Did some scouting this morning for the opener in PA, went to my gun club that has 100 acres of land that I can hunt, as soon as I pulled in I looked down the 200 yard rifle range and there stands 3 does 2 fawns and a spike buck. Right on the edge of the range is some thick cover that transitions to a swamp, going to go back this week and put a camera up there see what I can find out

spiker44 and Hotrod9 like this.
  18. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be getting out tomorrow morning. It'll be a crisp 50° around sun up. Winds are supposed to pick up later in the morning so hopefully the Spidey senses of the deer are going wild right about now telling them the weather is about to change and that'll keep them on their feet longer in the morning. Now its just to decide on a place.

Ryan Cornelius likes this.
  19. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    I went out Friday afternoon, Saturday morning and afternoon. No luck with putting any deer down but closed the distance. Had 4 does on Friday afternoon and Monday morning within 30 yards, just couldn’t get a shot.
    Hope to get out this week, we’ll see!

20. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    I might be kicking myself at the tail end of the season after this morning... I just had one of my target bucks at about 45 yards standing in the bean field behind me. Originally he and his teeny friend were about 80 yards away and the little spike got as close as 38, but something must have seemed off about the situation and they both turned around and headed off where they came from. I really thought they were just going to continue on their path which would have led them to chip shot range.
    Another time I guess.
    The little guy was a single sided spike, a unicorn if you will!
    Then, of course, as I was lamenting my decision to be patient, a doe and two fawns snuck by me and I never got a shot off.
    At least I'm seeing deer and not spooking them.
    I'll give it another 60-90 minutes before I get down. This pinch point I'm sitting on seems to have irregular mid morning traffic for seemingly no reason that I've been able to pattern. Sometimes does, sometimes bucks, sometimes a mix of both. It's very strange.

spiker44 likes this.