Is a compound bow better than a crossbow for deer hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rmunoz, Aug 21, 2022.

1. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much proving him right here.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for my new sig material!!!!

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is what forum legends do.

Ridgerunner3 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  4. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2022-8-23_12-54-24.jpeg

MUDSHARK, Ridgerunner3 and cantexian like this.
  5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :lmao2::lmao2: a crossthingy is like a transgendered MALE trying to compete in womens sports ... :bigcry: :argue:

6. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ...and now this thread is officially a hot dumpster fire.

oldnotdead, MUDSHARK and Fix like this.
  7. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's not over until we talk about air bow!!
    [​IMG]

oldnotdead, Joe Soil, wl704 and 3 others like this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think high fence hunting is more ethical

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

10. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
  11. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You guys are the best! Thanks for the laugh.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can't wait for next years thread, can we make it a live or semi-live thread though?

14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

MUDSHARK likes this.
  15. C Ethridge

C Ethridge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt with both crossbows and compound bows and have taken many deer with both. I feel as a hunter crossbows have some advantages over a compound bow. The first thing is you don’t have to draw the crossbow back and you can shoot in most any position. I have been busted so many time trying to get that bow drawn. It sucks when that happens but that just part of it . Crossbows also give your more effective range of shooting in my opinion. I hunt with both and I think it’s really just left up to the hunter on what he / she wants to hunt with. Some of us feel like we have accomplished more by taking a deer with the traditional bow and some of us just want the meat on the ground and we hunt with whatever it takes to make it happen. I personally like the swap up and each deer I take is a blessing to me and the family.

oldnotdead likes this.
  16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    People get so emotional about crossbows that they can't think straight or have rational conversations about their place in deer hunting. It blows my mind how visceral the response to them is. Remember all the people melting down when Trump won the election? That's how I picture crossbow haters debating them online.

To answer the original poster's spam question, there is no doubt that crossbows are a more effective and efficient weapon for hunting than a compound. They are far less susceptible to many shooting flaws that cause archers to be inaccurate under pressure and can more easily be shot with some sort of rest. They also take less practice and skill to shoot effectively at hunting distances. That's the simple truth of the matter, like it or not. When it comes to sheer effectiveness at easily, quickly and cleaning killing an animal, the crossbow wins.

Now, when it comes to the other aspects of hunting and why people hunt, that's where the great debate begins. Although it's not much of a debate since the anti-crossbow party only likes to throw a hissy fit and not listen to anything anyone else says. They're the woke pro-choicers of bowhunting. Use their proper pronouns or die!

The most common argument against crossbows is that they're too easy and take away from the experience of bowhunting, which isn't a valid argument, in my opinion. One person's experience is not the same as another's, and depriving someone of being able to choose their experience seems very selfish. Color me naive, but I don't think the "I don't like them and would never hunt with one, so you shouldn't either" argument is very logical.

The only real argument against them is that they are more effective than compounds and thus tend to have higher success rates. Since the entire point of hunting (regardless of weapon) is to manage wildlife populations, we have to start looking at things like season lengths, bag limits, harvest data, etc. Suppose we begin to see a trend where too many animals are being harvested, to the point of over-harvesting and exceeding harvest goals set by each State. In that case, we should consider modifying regulations accordingly. Outside of that, I don't think we should be legislating based on someone being butt hurt about their neighbor hunting with a crossbow. Legislation based on feelings rarely tends to be necessary or effective.

17. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yes, YOUR opinion, and that dosnt make it valid either.. mine is just as valid then, along with many that feel the same way I do, but wont speak out because of being chastised ... my views wont ever change, as yours wont either ...

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    My views are always subject to change based on personal experience and new information. That's the core difference here. I'm not ideologically tied down to my beliefs and unwilling to change.

Growing up, I was taught that crossbows were for handicapped people, old people, cheaters, and poachers. For a long time, I was very much against them. Over time I realized that I didn't care how someone else wanted to hunt and didn't want to limit their hunting options based on my emotions.

Personally speaking, I get way more enjoyment from shooting and hunting with my compound than my crossbow. But that won't sway me to say someone else shouldn't have that option if they want to. I've made many an argument that I would rather have my inexperienced, weekend warrior neighbors using crossbows and responsibly killing animals than shooting compounds they have no place taking into the woods with them.

And the idea that the anti-crossbow crowd are the ones who won't speak up for fear of being chastised is laughable at best. :lol:

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have evolved why would I care what another person uses to hunt? Does not effect me in any way.

20. stanlh

stanlh Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No, a crossbow is not better than a compound for hunting. I used a crossbow one year after a surgery and killed a deer with it. Totally unsatisfying experience. No challenge to it, no excitement, and I felt cheated afterwards. Plus I think too many people think a crossbow is a long range weapon, it is not. If you can't shoot anything else then it is fine for a state to allow people to deer hunt with a crossbow to keep them in the game. But if you have the ability to use a compound bow then that is a better choice. If you are only concerned with harvesting a deer regardless of how you do it I feel sorry for you. Go hit one with your car.

Tags: