Western Colorado Pronghorn

Discussion in 'West' started by ColoradoCrow, Jul 1, 2022.

1. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been waited and hoped to get drawn for anything here and it’s another year of no tags in my home state. So it’s looking like I’ll be after an OTC Pronghorn with my bow. Anyone out there ever have luck in Western Colorado? I’ve been seeing some decent bucks out by the Utah border and a few north of the Grand Junction are so I know the opportunity just might be there for a guy willing to try. Let’s see what you’ve got guys

2. SticknString14

SticknString14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There’s always an opportunity if you are out there putting in the work. An OTC pronghorn tag is harder to fill on the western slope than it is east of I-25. All the good antelope habitat is draw only. Just by a quick look if you live in the western half of Colorado unit 1 has the best potential. Other than that I’d say put in the work scouting trying to look for pockets of open sage county that might hold antelope. Eastern half of the state definitely has more potential but now you are into limited public land. Not impossible but from experience the little public land gets a lot of pressure. Knocking on some doors might be the best way to notch that tag. Good luck

ColoradoCrow likes this.
  3. Wapiti426

Wapiti426 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I will be hitting the Eastern plains here myself. No idea what I am doing, but there is one way to find out right?

mhouck06 likes this.
  4. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Well out east here your chances are pretty good at finding them. I’m actually not going to hunt this season (long story)but I definitely can help you out. Water is a good place to start but trust me, they can last longer than expected without if things looks suspicious. Make sure you change tactics when things don’t work and don’t give up. Flagging works if you have a buddy, but try to hide in a bush near a fence line doing it. Of there’s cattle in the area, use them to your advantage and walk among them, driving them gently towards your target. Speaking of cattle, always check out the herd real thoroughly because they will cruise with them and be looking for the best food and feel completely comfortable around them. You can also try decoying but if it doesn’t work out the first couple tries, put it away for the season because it’s only educating them. Last trick is to have a friend drop you off close as possible with your bow, and then tear down the road to to a hill, get out, slam the door, and stand up tall and watch the action. They’ve been conditioned to know trucks mean trouble so they’re gonna be more worried about him than you. Bring tons of water, and ice. Make sure your air conditioning works and have a good time!

Wapiti426 likes this.
  5. Wapiti426

Wapiti426 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate the intel sir! This will be a solo mission for me this year. Was planning on hitting some of the SWAs and Walk In Areas. Worth it?

Fully understand that I am too late to go knock on someone’s door for permission.

6. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Walk in access areas can be spotty on allowing big game hunting but the swas and STLs are awesome! Commanche national grasslands is a good place so is Pawnee. Just try to find the biggest areas you can get and remember they won’t drink from big moving water. River bottoms are for deer and the mighty pronghorn will drink from a puddle in the road. Good luck Bro and get us a good one!

Wapiti426 likes this.
  7. Wapiti426

Wapiti426 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciate it! I took this coming Monday off from work and plan to get after it!

Oldcarp likes this.