What are some new strategies or techniques you will use this season?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Jul 13, 2022.

1. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I really want to spend 2 or 3 days on the ground during the rut. Mix it up. Move slow, pay attention, see what the woods has to offer. I don't mind failing.

What about you? More aggressive? Less? New spots? Focus on old ones?

[​IMG]

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I say it every year. "Gonna shoot more at longer range and become a better bowshot.
    But alas, doesn't happen. I like,desire,set up for chip shots under 15 yards.
    And I even screw up them every year:confused:

MUDSHARK likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Im a chip shot guy myself! haha

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I found a spot last year that screams ground hunt. It is a pinch point on a creek with bedding on the other side and several white oaks within 75 yards of the creek crossing. But, not a single tree big enough to get into. However, there is a deadfall tree that would make a great natural blind with some other small trees or big limbs added. It would set up for about a 15 yard shot 10 yards after the deer cross the creek. It is the only crossing point for almost 300 yards in either direction of the creek bed. Looks thick and nasty on the other side. I haven't scouted the other side because the two times I have scouted it, the creek has been too deep to wade for my boots and I am not bare foot crossing a creek I have seen cotton mouths in. Deer can cross it fine though.

5. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt the same spots, but be much more aggressive come rut time. I see decent size deer every year, but have never tore down my set to move to where I see all of the action. It's not like what I'm doing hasn't worked (2 bucks in 2 years, 3 years ago missed the biggest I had on camera), but being more aggressive will most certainly increase my chances even more. Mature bucks will not continue to make their way in front of my stand every year.

Thinking of investing in this XOP setup to use exclusively as my mobile run and gun.

https://xopoutdoors.com/products/vanish-combo-kit

Stand, 4 sticks, padded straps with waist belt, and J hooks to attach sticks to your stand. On sale from $429 to $350.

Suncrest08 and virginiashadow like this.
  6. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I been changing my main prop around and how I plan to hunt it. Been hunting it for many years and still learning how to make it better and more productive. 3 yrs ago it was select timbered and the place is super thick now, that’s the one thing the property lacked is the cover. Deer are now staying on the prop year round, but some of my go to spots are now not accessible. This year I have been setting up ground blinds on the edge of the thickets and been clearing trails through a lot of it to make some type of trail system in hopes the deer take over them. Also been tweaking stands around to different locations were deer always skirt me, I guess I was just lazy b4 or comfortable with my existing locations. I’m gonna put myself right in front of them.
    Thats a good buy, I use the XOP vanish and 4 LW sticks as my main hunting swtup. Just make sure you will get to your desired height with those sticks they look on the shorter side.

virginiashadow likes this.
  7. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that's a good point. Looking into it a bit it looks like you would only be able to get to 14ft give or take without aiders.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  8. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunt mornings less during the early seasons, being that I work 2nd shift that’s all I have to work with but I think I burn my stands out earl. I am focusing more on state land this year they did a clear cut about 20 acres on a 2k acre piece I want to see if I can get my first public deer. It’s also only 10 minute drive from my house.

9. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Stay patient, stay sound and try not too let actions of others deter my love of going (trespassing and other issues).

virginiashadow and cantexian like this.
  10. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I think you will benefit from those changes. Good luck

ash d likes this.
  11. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some helium sticks and will do more saddle hunting.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  12. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll stick to what has worked for me for 40 yrs .. funnels/bottlenecks/travel corridoors/food sources... hunt the PM more during early season, spend extra tree time during the actual rut ... I'll also stay in the tree's, since I hunt state land, still hunting/stalking, etc. is a big no for me, I dont want to screw up anothers hunt and a HUGE no way during gun season would I try the ground/still hunt thing ... ground blinds, either commercial or natural can work , the problem with a commercial blinds where I hunt is No stand/blind can be left 'unattended', so you carry in/out every hunt ... on private, you can do pretty much as you want ...

13. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot more does.

MUDSHARK, Fix, ash d and 3 others like this.
  14. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always pass on doe early, then when it’s “good” then I’m huntin my arse off at the end to punch tags. I will join you in the doe killings!

15. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Never pass a doe if there is a tag in your pocket. I have had bucks walk out and check a doe 15 minutes after I put a bullet through her brain. Have yet to see that with an archery kill, but do not doubt it would happen.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me I probably still won't hunt from the ground much. Just enjoy the experience of shooting one from the tree that I picked. But I want to stop trying to get as high as I can in trees. Want to try and hunt as low as I can and still be in cover. 10 to 12 feet would be perfect. Also would like to shoot a doe and buck in September this year. Need to put in a little effort to maybe locate one the week before the season and kill him on opening day, that would be perfect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK, cantexian, ash d and 2 others like this.
  17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I've been map scouting a lot. I have no problem hunting big woods or small pockets.

These two spots stood out to me as some places people may overlook. May only get 1 or 2 hunts out of them but that's all it takes.

What do you think?

Screenshot_20220714-171557_onX Hunt.jpg

dnoodles, cantexian and ash d like this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am tempted to give my gear away so it will get used.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  19. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I love oxbows in creek or river system. Oxbows can be very productive spots, especially on hot days when you would think the deer won't be moving.

20. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Those spots look killer! I hope it is like you say, that people overlook them, weekdays for sure!