The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Kentucky opener is only 67 days away. I’m still trying to decide if I’m going to buy a Kentucky tag or not, but I’m leaning towards sucking it up and getting one.

MIHOYT89, ash d, Oldcarp and 3 others like this.
  2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have started to prep for my food plots. I am mowing the grass and weeds down and then will spray everything with roundup. When dried up, I will burn it all off and then till or disc everything up. I am going to try something new this year. I am going to plant mid-July with a mix of soybeans, brassicas and clover. I will save a plot or two for later planting of buck forage oats very early Fall. I know the soybeans will not produce a lot of bean production, but they will be the only beans in the area that are still green when we get close to rut. The brassicas and oats will provide late season attraction. While mowing on Monday evening, I had deer that would not even leave one of the clover fields. It was nice to be out in the tractor and relax a bit. I am finally at the stage of life where I can have a little more time to play at the farms instead of working all the time. I also just picked up 50, 5 gallon buckets this morning to set one by each of my new chestnut and persimmon trees to use for weep watering. I think I have more fun with habitat improvement now than the actual hunting. :biggrin:
    IMG_6303.jpg

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not much to update here fellas...between losing spots and past trespassing at my place and Pops place on hold work wise till logger gets in my deer motivation is VERY LOW.

Shoot I am going to Iowa for Muzzy and still haven't got my scope mounted and found that "perfect" load combination to take - REALLY NEED TO MAKE A POINT TO DO THAT ASAP. I am not a gun hunter at all, but this year once firearms season opens I'll apologize ahead of time that I will most likely be grabbing the ML for Iowa prep work if nothing else - however I hope to have a buck down with a bow before then of course.

4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I may have asked before Ty, but what muzzleloader are you shooting?

MIHOYT89 and Oldcarp like this.
  5. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    CVA Optima V2

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Have you tried these? I know all guns are different, but they do fantastic out of my TC Encore with 3 Pyrodex pellets.
    upload_2022-6-30_10-22-35.jpeg

Oldcarp likes this.
  7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    So I have those, a pack of powerbelts, two different weights of Barnes Spitfire T-EZ (i hope it likes one of these personally) as well as one other but cannot recall what it was atm.

Oldcarp likes this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I've never tried the Barnes. I have tried Powerbelts before and had less than stellar results, but that was with my old Knight muzzleloader.

One thing I love about the ones above that I'm shooting now is the speed sabot. Having the pellets attached to the sabot makes reloading so much easier and faster. I've shot the same bullet with a sabot for years but the sabot didn't have the "stem" to hold the pellets. I found these and fell in love. I guess if I really wanted easy, fast reloading I'd buy one of the firestick muzzleloaders, but that just seems like cheating. :lol:

Also, not that this anything to do with what we're talking about, but the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo I shoot in my Marlin 45-70 shoots the exact same projectile. I can say from experience that it's a great bullet.

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The Hornady SST and the Barnes bullets I was speaking of are VERY similar construction style. Not the stem however, I'm a big fan of Buckhorn powder but if I cannot find another jug of it I'll be switching to loose pyrodex or pellets depending what gun likes.

LittleChief likes this.
  10. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Last year they came out with a new rule on them. August 1 to December 31 we can’t have trail cameras out on public land.

11. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! That just doesn’t make any sense to me.

I guess that somehow they think using trail cameras during hunting season is cheating so they made it illegal?

12. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Two years ago It started out do be just cellular trail cameras. They’re thinking with the people were getting pictures of animals on their cell phone and instantly going in after them. Also with the drought there will be some water holes with five or six cameras on them. So in their minds they wanted to decrease the human pressure on the water holes throughout the summer. They also thought it was giving the hunter unfair advantage to have real Time pictures of animals sent to your cell phone. Of course none of it was really found on any science. Success rates have stayed the same. They tried to explain to the board. That by the time you got the picture and drove up on the mountain that that animal would not be there. On some of the water holes I could see their thinking. I think the cellular trail cameras the outfitters overstepped. I did not know till this last year that they were taking these real time pictures and selling them to the customers. And when the customer would pick a particular animal it keep tabs with their customer when the animal show up they go up after it. How successful that was I do not know. It upset enough people and with a little bit of miss information the bill got passed. That is sort of what happened in a nutshell. I do miss putting my cameras out. When I had them out I hiked a lot more.

LittleChief likes this.
  13. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve heard great things about both Barnes and the hornadys, but I do t have any first hand experience with them at all. I know, big help lol.

What’s everyone using for a release? After about 11 or 12 years of abuse I had to retire the Scott Wildcat. I was shooting yesterday and the internals of the release and a bolt gave way luckily I was right at the beginning of my draw cycle and not at full draw the shot before. Still scared the piss out of me. I loved that release and have nothing but good things to say about it but I’m not bias if there is something better out there, but it’s just been so long.

I do plan to stay with a wrist strap index finger release.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I used to shoot a Scott Sabretooth a few years ago. A couple of times I had trouble closing the calipers because threads from my gloves kept getting in them and they wouldn’t lock together.

I decided to go with a hook style release and settled on the TruFire Hardcore. It’s been fantastic and one thing I truly love is that I can hook the release on by feel instead of having to look down. That comes in really handy sometimes.

farmer rick and MIHOYT89 like this.
  15. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    My four selections of jam/jelly came in finally! Oh my word the Peach Jalepeno should be illegal.

farmer rick and LittleChief like this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear it Ty.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    My nephew just sent me this shot of the project I did for him and his wife. They’ve got the painting and staining done, the metal on the office and they’ve started loading the shelves.

It actually looks really good.
    upload_2022-7-6_12-46-35.jpeg

farmer rick, JeffC, MIHOYT89 and 2 others like this.
  18. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Looks really nice! Is this on their property or I picture it in like a farmer's market? (apologies if you already said this and I missed it)

19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    They rented what used to be a Korean restaurant and converted it into a sort of indoors flea market. They’ll sell their goods and rent out space to other vendors.

The name of the store is supposed to be Mountain Home Made. It’s in Mountain Home, AR.

Oldcarp and tynimiller like this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I bought two Tactacam Reveal XB cameras and put them out a week ago Friday along with three Stealthcams here in my home place.

I’ve been getting hundreds of doe pics, but it was just a matter of time until bucks started showing up.

He’s no giant but you guys know me well enough to know that I’d shoot him without a second thought. :lol:

upload_2022-7-11_7-33-44.jpeg

upload_2022-7-11_7-34-3.jpeg

farmer rick, MIHOYT89 and ash d like this.