Help! Historical Hay Field is Now Corn!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by airenlow, May 19, 2022.

1. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt the 50 acres in red. The green field has always been hay, but appears to be planted in corn this year. Generally speaking, what kind of changes in deer movement can I expect from this? I've never hunted this close to ag before, so I'm pretty clueless. 20220519_100412.jpg

2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Corn is always good to hunt near.
    I've always seen better movement 25 yards inside cover then the actual field edge.

airenlow likes this.
  3. Ruttin1

Ruttin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you know the farmer well, ask him to let you know when he starts taking it off. I’d be in a tree.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

airenlow likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on what the corn is planted for. Example :
    Our biggest farm next to us plants for chopped silage
    Our small chicken farmer for dry down corn.
    The silage is taken off early and they nearly scrape the ground bare. It is a wide open waste land that sends the deer two places either back into the woods or to the chicken farmers fields. Those can be left standing well into Nov. Gun season. Great for the guys that can hunt travel routes in and out. Not so much for the rest of us. When the dry down corn is cut there is stubble and seed residue left behind that attracts everything. . Good for late bow/muzzle loader.

airenlow likes this.
  5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    PS I have put in more clovers , will do later beans and brassica as well as the Winter rye or wheat in anticipation of this years farm switch from clovers to corn.. right now chicken farmer is in grains 1...a which means they could do a later shorter season corn Or into beans again. Their beans are hammered hard. I honestly don't know why they bother.

6. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't, but I drive by twice a day. I'll be there as soon as I see the corn come down.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't check on usage first...I'd do an early fall scout sit to watch movement. I can't tell how close you are to that field but if it's cut early for silage,you may find a dead zone once cut and want to hunt earlier. I see a field in the upper left corner on other side of your woods. What is planted on that side? And what late mast trees do you hold?