What's your preferred time off for rut hunting?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cls74, May 16, 2022.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Since forever(2008) I have always taken off every weekend in November(Fri-Sun) and usually a full week(Mon-Thu) mixed in based on the full moon. Last year I took 17 days straight from last weekend of Oct. into first half of Nov.

Seems that that many days in a row fatigue/burnout/boredom/weather occurs and out of the 10 or 17 straight days 3-7 go unused.

Would you rather have a set amount of days in a row off in order to choose when to hunt or multiple 4-5 day spans with a few work days mixed in to spread the wealth in a sense? This means every Friday though Sunday off with a few days either side using vacation time.

Shocker99 likes this.
  2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    On years when I can take the time during November I prefer to save 1-2 days to catch cold fronts or 3 day weekends, plus the second full week of November. I have always found that time from November 6th to the 14th as prime time regardless of moon phase and weather so I always try to put in as much time then as I can.

short69 and cls74 like this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You pointed out a flaw in my question.

I guess it depends on how much time you have for vacation as well

Should have just asked would you prefer 10 days in a row or multiple 3 day spans.

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I were to take 10 days off I’d do Nov 5th-15th, but I could see where multiple of 3 days would be beneficial to hunt fronts. Because that first cold front in late October can be magic.

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't think I've ever hunted more than a week straight for whitetails. I'm usually a 3-4 day weekend guy, maybe 2-3 times a year. A lot of my hunting is done local to home, so I will do a lot of half-days off work in late October. Work until noon, then head out for the afternoon hunt. That allows me to hunt 4-5 days in a row without burning up all of my PTO or getting fatigued by waking up super early every day.

virginiashadow and Shocker99 like this.
  6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Prime rut hunting here is between Nov 18th to the 28th. Chase phase generally lands the week of Thanksgiving, and that is the week I normally take off. I'd rather take my time off all at once during the peak, my property does not have mature bucks on it until they come for the does it holds.
    I'm careful to not burn myself out (or my wife and son) before the rut really kicks in. I could go scout and try other areas before the rut, but after spending every free minute I have chasing elk during September I'd rather take a break during October. Balances time with family better.

7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unfortunately no personal time days or sick days. All vacation requests have to be in in advance so it's hit or miss on timing fronts right.

As it stands now I'll have 2 weeks built up by November. I could take off October 28th through November 13th similar to last year or I could take four 5 day weekends(Thurs-Mon) starting Oct 27th followed by a 4 day weekend Thanksgiving weekend.

virginiashadow likes this.
  8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I personally would split it up into a bunch of 4-5 day sits. If I was going to take off more than that, I would go October 24-31 and then Nov 12-19 or somewhere in that area.

MUDSHARK and virginiashadow like this.
  9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's the direction I'm leaning. I just feel like I waste a lot of days when I take them off in big chunks. The only bad part about taking more smaller chunks is the property is relatively small, as in huntable areas, and weekends could have 3-4 additional hunters.

Going to hang a stand over the scrape I ground hunted this past season. Have a good feeling about it this year.

10. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This!

I also have my two tower blinds set up with a tables for my laptop and long range wifi antennas that connect to the free wifi at the Wendy’s across the street. Comes in handy when there is a really good cold front coming through and I can’t take the day off since I can just work remotely from the blind. I am mostly limited to rifle only when I do that since neither one is located in a good spot for getting deer into bow range. Plus around here its hot as **** for most of bow season. Being shut up inside a sealed plastic box while it bakes out in the sun on a humid 90 degree day sounds like a good way to die from heat stroke.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good point. Also I always hate when the time change falls back again . Losing that extra hour screws the 7-330 workday guy from being able to scramble after work to get that last hour or 2 sit in.

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  12. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    I agree. Ive done the full week of vacay with weekends on front and back. Out of the 9 days straight I probably realistically hunt 5 or 6. Strategically watching the weather and taking single days which run into the weekends if possible is the way to do it. 3-5 day weekends. I remember taking first week of November one year. I was so pumped because my buddies had dropped big bucks a few days prior around Halloween. Then a huge warm front came through and literally shut everything off. Movement sucked. Then as soon as i went back to work the temp dropped like 30 degrees and i had to work the next 12 days straight all the way till shotgun season since i had of prior 2 weekends. Never do that again. :lol:

13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's absolutely pointless to hunt evenings where I hunt. I can't figure out their evening travel routines at all.

Shocker99 likes this.
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a similar experience several years back. Took my vacation and started out decent. Foggy mornings and seen a decent 8pt in the morning. Soared to the 80's in the afternoon and had a leopard frog come hopping through(in November) then turtles sunning on logs in the pond. Was supposed to be like that all week. Drove straight to work and asked to come back and take the following week instead and they let me. The rest of the week it never got out of the low 60's with dense fog daily. Now I just deal with whatever and keep with initial dates :lol:

Shocker99 likes this.
  15. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well this coming deer season will be the last time that will happen! Permanent daylight savings time starting in 2023 is probably the Biden regime’s biggest accomplishment.

airenlow, cantexian and Shocker99 like this.
  16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Has that passed though? I know they introduced a Bill to change it but had bot heard they passed it in both chambers.

Shocker99 likes this.
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like it has passed the Senate but is stalled in the House with uncertainty whether Pelosi will call it for a vote.

Shocker99 likes this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  19. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Is that all states? I thought that was a state level matter

20. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    So would the time stay sprung fwd or fallen back?