Turkey loads

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Apr 30, 2022.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I actually have two different for the 20 ga. ,yes I'm going with the shot gun for first bird. That said...hhhmmm put them away and can't find them my ammo box did have my rem. Nitro mag 4/ 3 in also winchester double X #5
    I went out and ranged 30 and 20 yrds then put these up. I usually shoot from a blind thanks to rain but I will more than likely be on the ground tomorrow. I set it up so I was shooting into the sun to make it harder. I haven't shot since last year. The 39 blew downaway from me, just before the shot. Still think a dead burd. I pulled a but right on the 20 yrd. Funny I'm a lefty you'd think I'd pull left. Oh well another dead bird. Not bad concidering all I could see was card board..lol

20220430_115336.jpg

Last edited: May 2, 2022
  2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I know this is a bow site, that said many of us use guns as well.
    Now when talking Turkey"loads" what is your turkey shaft set up? I am a fixed broad head person but use a wasp turkey getters 100g expandable Also a single bevel can't remember brand at the moment. That I bought for deer. I used them once. Killed a doe. Dropped her but it wasn't a pass through and it bent tip. It has a wide cutting area and sharp ,but not for big bones. Now used for Turkey.
    What are you guys using?

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have always just used a fixed BH and put an Adder Point behind it to help do a bit more damage and deliver a bit more energy into the bird, but you really have to hit those vitals or recovery chances are poor. I used fixed because Idaho didn't allow mechanicals...but I'm now reading that only applied to big game species and I could've switched to a mechanical a long time ago for turkey. I have point blank asked a game warden if I had to use a fixed for turkey and he answered yes, so they weren't all interpreting it the same apparently.
    Anyway, Idaho is now mechanical approved. I am very likely to pick up some mechanicals with turkey specifically in mind for them. No idea what mechanical at this point.
    This year I have prepared a couple arrows to try out using a Bullhead on them, a decapitator type head. Between having a late snow storm and being locked into other plans on the weekends, I still haven't gotten out for them yet since the season opened April 15th.

When I want to make it much easier on myself: I put full choke in my 12ga, 3" mags in #4 shot (good ol' lead) are my choice. Remmington's pattern well so they are what I have currently. This setup has been 100% for me every time I've pulled the trigger.

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck and hope you get out soon when's your season end?

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Either May 25th or 31st. I can't remember which and will have to look it up.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    That's a long season. Ours is May 1 to the end of May. Right now it is rain and thick fog. I noticed some hens decided to move up out of our woods to roost up the hill. Can't blame them the woods were filled around us with callers...that were pretty obviously not birds. The Hunter decided to leave early this morning. I'll be giving things a break here I did have a couple of youngish drop down and walk by . Hope to go to camp for a hunt or two.

Last edited: May 4, 2022
    Mod-it likes this.