Your 2022 land projects.....

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by oldnotdead, Jan 5, 2022.

1. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been out working on existing plots, opening up the canopy to get more sun. 3C9A830B-E822-4787-A3A8-62B6CF5AB79B.jpeg AF905BCF-F8F2-4A31-AC3C-2B48166D5DC8.jpeg 105788DB-3487-4C49-8BB2-FD9F3A4D9774.jpeg Also working on a new plot in the middle of my property to get further away from the new neighbors that bought the old landowner I bought the property from. I think they are going to be a pain in my ass unfortunately. The deer movement has already been different and I will have to adjust to it.

oldnotdead likes this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like good spots for a white clover variety.

3. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    The plan is to spray at least twice this early spring and summer, then try to get some sort of annual in there. Then next spring put clover in there. Two of my other clover plots are going to get nuked because of the new neighbors, I don’t need to do all the work to benefit them.

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man I went and bought a few bags of lime early at 4.99. While of 50 cents over last year a r. Two days ago went to pick up a couple more. 5.99 a bag...FJB!..I won't e v England think about fertilizer....a glance at prices showed 75+ dollars a bag.
    Plant buck wheat.....
    Hubby said come look I'm thinking of buying you a 3 pt spread...No! Please no I want a crooner roller.

5. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    A little more cutting, 02D16F56-D53C-4DB4-8F72-5E9CCFFF98DA.jpeg 60F105B4-C9C5-4BB6-86F9-FE08A84784F8.jpeg now just need to blow off the leaves.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^^ If you have a tractor, a landscape rake would work great for clearing leaves and sticks.

I will be using mine today or tomorrow for grading my easement. Very handy tool and not that expensive.

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good!
    Winds are so bad here I can't even work in the garden. I seriously need to spray kill down before the bazillion dandelions bloom and they are close. Also before the fruit plot trees leaf out.
    Anyone have tips on moss? I've been fighting moss for years. .oh, fertilizers, iron plus, moss kill....nothing works . Not even in the full Sun open fields. If I do not plant (perennial plots) every other year the moss becomes a solid mat. Even the farmers here fight this. The gardens weed barriers all have clumps of moss growing on them from last year's install. I won't even discuss our roof!

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  8. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    I don’t have a tractor, wish I did. I will take the leaf blower up there either tomorrow or next week and get it done, actually works pretty good but a lot of work.

GregH and oldnotdead like this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    If you have a vehical of recreational size invest in a good toothed harrow drag....you won't regret it.
    OR. Take a section of chain link 3-4 2x4 cut to chain links width. Now install 6"-8" bolts evenly spaced along the 2x4's. These get wired to the top of chain link front to back. Add a drag chain to front of this. You now have a toothed drag that did not cost you 300+ dollars. You can add logs or tractor weights to the top dependent on what you are doing or with a power wrench back out the bolts a bit if all you want to do is firm up a field.

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  10. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    I do have a wheeler and a chain link drag, I usually blow the leaves off with the blower then drag it later.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2022
    GregH and oldnotdead like this.
  11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Not shy about saying how much I hate rocks. I'm almost done with the trail plot. There are before type pics and after then a long view of the one I was working on. Actually about half of it the rye from last year that made it I'm leaving. Clovers are down but I think I may sprinkle a bit of rape over it before this afternoons rain just to see how it grows.
    P. S.
    Broke another rake, 20220425_150610.jpg 20220425_150210.jpg 20220425_133011.jpg 20220425_132937.jpg 20220425_132917.jpg 20220425_132909.jpg 2 in one week .. he's going to kill me....lol

No particular order on pics

arrowflinger1 and GregH like this.
  12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Just got back in after leaving the house in the morning. I got some woods work done cleaning toppling over way too many dead saplings. Was searching for transplant to go out behind the house.Now I have elderberry and lots of goose berry bushes and beech suckers. What I do not have are any other bushes. I find one disturbing thing and many great ones. The disturbing thing is a crazy # of black cherry growing where I cut all the mature yellow popular. Now there are the popular suckers growing but not near as many as the cherry. Great thing is found a crazy amount of goose berry bushes and they are really good sized. I also found a bunch of pine saplings to transplants with honeysuckle bushes. Deer eat the leaves and berries but they produce good cover. I'll be digging and planting when weather warmers little again...
    Switch flipped and we are back to winter temps again...28 next few nights

13. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Planted 200 more giant myscanthus ryzomes today to fill the gaps in the grass screen I planted last year. Should have ordered 300.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

arrowflinger1 and GregH like this.
  14. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the process of my first ever food plot. Been getting things cleaned up the last few days. I'll take some pictures when I'm out there today, but it's going to look something like this. Just a small clover plot is what I'm thinking.

upload_2022-4-28_9-38-59.png

entropyfx likes this.
  15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol...be careful...
    I once said that many years ago just a small plot of clover...years later and 16 small plots......hmmmm
    I figured out sometime ago, if they were easy and worked ever time...I'd have stopped planting them a long time ago. Sorta like hunting, if it became easy and everything worked its way to a big buck every year I planned...I'd quit hunting. Take your pick:
    1. I'm addicted to the challenge
    2. I'm addicted failures
    3 it's s a toss up between the two

16. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve spent about 8 hours now cleaning it up. This woods hasn’t been touched in many years. So much buckthorn and dead falls. Every summer this area is filled with almost chest high ferns so I’m hoping to get it tilled soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Gonna be alot of canopy mnh?

entropyfx likes this.
  18. MnHunterr

Dislikes Received:
    It gets quite a bit of sun actually and we plan to remove a few more larger trees yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

entropyfx and oldnotdead like this.
  19. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe pick out a stand tree and hinge cut a few others to direct the deer close to your stand.

entropyfx and oldnotdead like this.
  20. arrowflinger1

Dislikes Received:
    I got the leaves blow off the areas in the last pictures, picked up most of the sticks and logs. Picked out 4 different trees around the property and got all the shooting lanes trimmed and prepped for this fall.

On another note I have been dealing with dogs chasing deer now and again on my property for the last 3 years. I got some recent trail cam pics of them chasing deer and finally got a hold of the game warden. There were 2 different neighbors that got cited for there dogs chasing deer, the fine is only 100$ but hopefully enough for them to keep them at home from now on.

oldnotdead likes this.