Best things in life

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Fix, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Surprised I have good friends thru business that knew my Mom that are coming to her party, they are coming in from Las Vegas, Ohio, Tampa. Coming in a day early to come to the lake, not sure how my wife will handle it but they will be whiskey and steaks, lots of whiskey. Two of my friends could be stand up comedians the one from Las Vegas is like a Joe Pesci that could kick some ass it is going to be a big time.

2. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was burning a big pile of empty cat food bags last Saturday that mom had stashed in the barn. When I grabbed the bottom bag, there was a skunk underneath it. Pretty sure my heart stopped for a second as I backed away fast. Was a big OH SH!T moment. Didn't even dare scream like a little girl for fear of startling it. It didn't move so I grabbed a long board and poked it. It was dead. Definitely a best thing in life moment. The dead part, not the finding it part. That part sucked.

MUDSHARK, cantexian, picman and 5 others like this.
  3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to carry my colt 32 pocket pistol when I did chores back at the ranch, shooting a skunk will not prevent it from spraying.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I was young and used to run a trap line, I had caught a skunk one morning and had to dispatch it. I learned this lesson too…

However, since that day and working in sick close proximity to the spray, the smell doesn’t bother me any longer in the least. There may have been some wrenching getting it out of the foothold trap though.,.

TJF, cantexian and Sota like this.
  5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Friday my shipment of gummies will arrive today I am going to try to relax and get some sleep tonight.

Shocker99 likes this.
  6. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago some kids in the neighborhood caught a big skunk in a foot hold trap and asked for my help. I took my .22 pistol and shot it right between the eyes from point blank range. It did not spray. I actually skinned it out for the boys. It wasn't bad but those days are over for me.

TJF, cantexian and Sota like this.
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a guy on a muzzleloading forum that I frequent once in a while, he lives in northern Idaho a few hours from me. He likes to do a lot of instructional/teaching posts about sidelock muzzleloading.
    He has a bit of a skunk problem at his place and had trapped one.
    Long story short, he shot it, skinned it out, then cut all the fat off of it and rendered the fat down into a lube. He took pictures throughout and wrote up an instructional post about making your own patch lube...from skunk.
    Surprisingly, it did not become a highly sought after patch lube. :biggrin:

TJF, GregH and wl704 like this.
  8. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That is one thing that really stood out to me ..... that skunk had more fat than I had ever imagined!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

9. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Try that when they are in a box trap. Nothing will go in that trap for about a year.

Had to go buy another one so that I could keep trapping the raccoons and wild cats in the barn.

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So glad to be alive because got my clock cleaned , as it were, by a widow maker . A direct top of the head pile driver 2" round 18" long . I must be a hard head because it didn't knock me out but it rattled my cage and left a ping pong ball 1/2" high goose egg in the middle of my head. Sore no head ache though feeling a tad light headed. No winds, no snap heard just wham out of no where an ash branch.

TJF and wl704 like this.
  11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They put my father in law on hospice. He is only 65. Been battling cancer for a couple of years now. I took my wife to see him yesterday and a lot of tears were shed. I told him as long as im alive he wont have to worry about his daughter or grand babies. He gave me advice on being a grandfather. Just a heartbreaking day but it is a part of life. As hard as it was it was beautiful. Just a very genuine, funny, and loving guy. Going to miss him. Even though he was a lifelong, die hard, steel mill democrat! :lol: :sad:

TJF, JeffC, fletch920 and 4 others like this.
  12. The Old Man

The Old Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OND, you lead a very interesting life to say the least.

dnoodles likes this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I don't know about that...all I was doing is walking down a trail taking A. J. for a run. I got to thinking about Bob Saggett(sp) so called hubby to let him know what happened...just in case. Still feeling a tad "heavy" around my eyes and my neck is a tad stiff with a "squishy " sound when I roll my head back.
    When he got home he didn't need to feel the lump. He could see it under my hair.
    Hey lucky, lucky...could have been the entire tree. I've literally had them slide down the sides of trees I managed to hide behind when I heard the first crack. Wish this had made a sound...

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes a 2 minute face time call with a 2 and 1/2 year old can make you realize why you put up with all the other BS in life.

15. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    @Sota....update promised,
    I went out and checked what I planted ...I have radishes up as well as several other things. Maybe the spinach and the swiss chard...could be beets. I can't really say because...I put label sticks at one end of rows and rocks at the other end. Something got into the fencing and yanked the stakes out then dragged them off the rows.... So far, I'm pleased with that early planting and it snowed with 28° last night no issues.....

TJF and Sota like this.
  16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Finally good news at work, best news since before civid hit. Today the company shed a parasitic cancer, the IT clown put in his 2 week notice. My only regret is that I did not get to fire him.

oldnotdead likes this.
  18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My beautiful bride just got a new job. 6 years ago I stepped down from a very lucrative position to watch my girls so she could get her master's. In those quick 6 years she has grown so much as a professional. Far outweighing me mentally and monetarily.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

MUDSHARK, JeffC, cantexian and 5 others like this.
  19. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cant beat a Sugar Mama

dnoodles, MUDSHARK, Fix and 1 other person like this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Now he can be a milk dud.

MUDSHARK, JeffC, Fix and 1 other person like this.