Breeding Hens

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Heckler, Mar 22, 2022.

1. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Out back of the house. He has been working the hens over all morning. Lucky guy... :p

Picture1.jpg

oldnotdead likes this.
  2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've had a flock of 3 hens and last years young ones, totaling 10, hanging around all winter. Some of the Jakes were getting restless and venturing around on their own but not too far from the main flock. Yesterday, I looked out front and saw that the flock had grown to 14. It gained 4 mature Toms which eventually broke off from the flock and made an appearance at my bird feeders.

Breeding season is starting to heat up!

Heckler likes this.
  3. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had a flock of 10 all winter and then it grew to 24 in the last several weeks. I only think there is two bearded birds in the bunch from what I have seen. Last year I had a group of 5 toms show up late... Kind of hoping to see some more toms. Alot of our turkey pop has disappeared in the last 5-7 years. We are limited to 1 bird in NE KS again this year. I doubt I will even buy any tags for KS unless we plan a trip west...

GregH likes this.
  4. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of toms showed up this morning showing off for a group of hens. The hens are moving off into the woods on the left in the video.

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My backyard flock has increased to 30 birds with 3 toms... I haven't seen a single jake which is alarming..