The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations
    Grandkids are the best gift from God next to a 10x10 with poor eye sight & a plugged nose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief and Oldcarp like this.
  2. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Grandkids are the greatest

LittleChief likes this.
  3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome news LC! I can't wait for our 1st grandchild. I am super jealous of the Tennessee bass fishing! Will you be fishing for both smallmouth and largemouth?

I was going to build a dock for our new pond and got lazy, so yesterday I went and bought an older pontoon boat that I will leave in the pond to use as a mobile fishing dock. lol. We are going to strip some of the seats out and put a goose blind on it for the Fall. Should be a fun project and a lot more versatile than just having a wooden dock. It came with a new radio, two fish finders, a bow mount trolling motor and a live-well that we will probably use as a cooler. :beer: It's not pretty, but it will do the job!
    IMG_5487.jpg

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    That’s an interesting idea Fletch and it could be a lot of fun.

I’ll be fishing for largemouth only. There are no smallmouth in the lake I’m going to.

Oldcarp and fletch920 like this.
  5. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That IS pretty…. Pretty freakin sweet. We had the same idea for the goose blind where we are at but Instead we have a monstrosity of a blind we welded up out of a trailer frame and a bunch of angle and uni-strut. Floats on 22 blue barrels. Made skirts out of hog panel and angle iron to attach camo and break up the boxy-ness of it. It has lasted about 12 yrs now and is just now needing some major repairs. Im thinking of replacing it with pontoon. Would be much easier to move it around if need be.

Oldcarp likes this.
  6. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Sitting here at my daughter’s house after an exhausting day.

I left hone early yesterday and stopped by the lake to do some “scouting”. I didn’t get a bite in three hours and I was worried.

My daughter, son in law and I were at the lake a half hour before sunrise this morning. I tied on multiple colors and as it turned out chrome/blue was the ticket.

We brought 26 bass home today. None of them were big ones but we had a blast.

cantexian, tynimiller, ash d and 2 others like this.
  7. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to brag here a little bit. I had three of my grandkids in a archery tournament this weekend. This is all the first year doing archery. My grandson who is in 4th grade scored 162. My two twin granddaughters who are in 6th grade one scored 224 and my other granddaughter scored 268. I was really proud of them.

Attached Files:

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That’s awesome!

Oldcarp likes this.
  9. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    LC, Thank you

10. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great pictures Oldcarp!
    Since I shoot a bow left handed was surprise all three of your grandkids shot left handed.

Yesterday was last bb tournament for my twin grandsons. Down by 9 start of fourth quarter they came back to win by 4. Very exciting game and good way to end the season. Hope we can do some ice fishing now.

Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  11. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Farmer Rick, that is cool. Congrats to your grandsons. I have five of my grandchildren that are left-handed. My grandson you see you there he’s actually right handed but he’s left eye dominant. So we had to teach him how to shoot left-handed. I’m hoping to get out tomorrow for a little ice fishing also. In my children my oldest is the only one that is left-handed.

12. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    Great family pictures there sir
    Went out to property H as it’s logged in the camera & spoke with the land owner
    When he started the conversation with “ hey, I’ve been trying to catch you” I knew it was not good.
    Apparently he’s having an issue with trespassing…either from the Platte River state park property on the north or coming off hwy 66 & onto the Platte River state park property
    Apparently the state park has designed new bike trails & this property is a short cut
    He’s closing his property off to everyone (including me) until the trespassing stops.
    I’m 97.5% I’ll be good come September but he suggested I pull my camera due to the trespassing
    He did not make mention to my deer stand & any desire to have me remove it
    So…no pictures from camera H for a while

Oldcarp likes this.
  13. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Crazy Nebraska weather
    From 50 to 25 in a day

14. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got out and did some frost seeding. Lot of Clover/Chicory got put out and also a mix trying that can be planted now as well that is barley, peas and clovers mainly...gonna see how I like it come warmer temps.

No sheds, but didn't look really (never really focus on finding them) and did confirm we lost a few more trees in the logged bedding area that we will need to cut openings in here soon.

farmer rick and Oldcarp like this.
  15. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! It does not get any better than that. What a great sport to enjoy for a lifetime.

Oldcarp likes this.
  16. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    One of my grandsons is the same way. 1st time I went with him on a youth hunt, noticed he shot left hand and was using a right hand bolt gun. Being left handed myself I knew how clumsy it is to use wrong handed gun. Decided I needed another deer rifle so got a left handed x-bolt rifle in 6.5 cm. He shoots it very good and I hope he'll be borrowing it for deer season for many years.

Oldcarp and fletch920 like this.
  17. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks! With treated lumber being crappy these days and insanely expensive, I bought the pontoon for less than a decent wooden dock would have cost. I like the idea of cattle panels for skirting! I happen to already have a bunch of panels laying at the cabin that have been cut down to just the right width from making my own haybale blinds. My plan is to use aluminum framing and panels with camo to build the blind so it can be easily removed for the summer.

Oldcarp and Shocker99 like this.
  18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    Rough weekend around here. We had several tornadoes tear through Iowa. Some stayed on the ground for as long as an hour. One hit us locally with one death and several injuries and a lot of total destruction of properties. I could hear the largest of them from our house and it literally did sound like a freight train. It definitely makes you feel small. My nephew's place about 45 minutes north of here got hit and I spent the day helping he and his neighbors begin cleanup and fixing garage doors etc. My brother lives in Winterset and his place was spared, but they lost 6 lives. Springtime in Iowa can be insane. I was golfing one day, picking up debris from tornadoes the next, and woke up to 5" of fresh snow today. Our local nature center was completely disintegrated.....gone. So sad, it was full of amazing taxidermy mounts that had been donated for many years. Rare birds, mountain lions, deer, elk and on and on.... More sad for me is the fact that my late father had hand built all the oak kitchen and bathroom cabinets and library shelving in the building and donated every bit of his time and material. It was a special place for me that is now a pile of debris. But, I have no doubt it will be rebuilt in time. In the second photo, the top right whitetail was my first ever buck with bow.
    IMG_4839.jpg PinOak.jpg PinOakgone.jpg

19. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch heard a little about your tornados on the news. Seems not much coverage about it with the war going on. Always tragic with the lives lost and property damage. Your nature center looked like a beautiful place. Hope you get it rebuilt.

Mudlake3 and fletch920 like this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    We only fished for about 3 1/2 hours this morning and bright home another 18 bass.

This one made the trip worthwhile.
    upload_2022-3-7_15-24-7.jpeg

ash d, Oldcarp, cantexian and 2 others like this.