Western hunt info

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by dnoodles, Jan 19, 2022.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

It doesn't just cover value, but also a Cliffs Notes version of odds, by animal, weapon, and time of year.

I just started watching it but it's pretty informative, and comprehensive*.
    * for some reason doesn't cover the PNW.

keep in mind it's already application time for several states

Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
    Oldcarp likes this.
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Newberg and Jacobsen talk about Oregon here... 5% tags to NR, cost and point creep are some limiting factors

Pretty sure they discussed Washington at one point, I can't recall why they are so low on his list.

He also didn't rank midwest and Eastern states - generally low numbers of tags for NRs mean long odds.

Also, some states app periods are also already closed: AK and ID. If your thinking of hunting out west you will want to really unstand herd numbers, access, NR opportunity, and the points schemes. Point creep is a big problem. Also many states require you buy a non res license to apply for big game - Newberg mentions in the Oregon vid, but is the case for many states.

Lastly politics and predators have also had effects (wolves in some states 15ish yrs ago, CO now introducing as well as locally in certain areas). The volume of bills and motions for F&G departments against hunting & trapping as year are crazy (psa for sportsman's alliance, Howl for wildlife and others providing info and easy opportunity as a voice).

Every year Newberg does summaries on his channel (he included antelope and deer with elk) or on elk talk (for elk only)... Great resources.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
    Hungry Horse, Oldcarp and dnoodles like this.
  3. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    copy yeah, this is why I posted the video. Never seen anyone break down the seasons and general odds like he did.
    I am very very tempted to put in for a late Archery tag in AZ, but they make you buy the license just to put in. And it also falls on the back end of the rut here, so I would basically spend all of November away from home...probably not gonna make the Mrs. very happy.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What are you looking to hunt?

If it's (archery) Elk, get an OTC tag in Colorado...start gaining performs now and get an ass kicking when you're at elevation sooner than later.

Application I think is due April 5. No draw, you do need to buy a small game license ~$100. You do need a do hunted id (Cid), but you can get that up now...i think you can do that online. Need proof of hunter safety. The app process you can put on for a draw unit and build a pref point, and choose a pp (or otc tag of you don't draw and pay now)

They have a verification process I cant recall what that does for you, or how they are handling in C19 times... My buddy walked me into their F&G department years ago...

Or you can buy a tag in April or September (at a Walmart). November would be rifle... F that! Once you have an elk scream in your face you'll want to hunt the elk rut!

If you want to get into more detail drop me a line or post up here.

I think AZ was a longer game, but IMHO, your $ would be better spent on CO, WY or MT...

Oldcarp and dnoodles like this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted elk DIY/OTC in ID in 2014. Had a blast despite being a week early on the rut. Ended up killing a nice cow on day 9 and then as I walked up to check blood had a really nice 5x5 or smaller 6x6 pop out of the same spot in the timber...D'OH!

Oh, well, still an awesome experience.

Oldcarp and wl704 like this.
  6. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You’ve pretty much missed out on Idaho. Tags go quick for some reason.
    Colorado just pulled my fall back unit from OTC, it’s going to be a draw this year.
    In limbo this year, have zero points in any states, 61 years old and debating if it’s worth building points in any state. Probably put in for my Colorado unit, buy a Wyoming point and try a Hail Mary in New Mexico.

7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our strategy is 'we want to hunt annually'. CO has been the fallback, but is going to crap.

We put in for MT General last year with 0 pts and drew. They have a random portion and rumor is, favor 1st timers hunting the state.

We started putting in for pp in other states a few years back to enable a rotation in pp states, with short term options as Newberg covers.

8. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Although the apps are closing soon, another Hail Mary worth considering is Arizona. Especially if you can complete their ethical hunter course which gives you a lifetime bonus point for each species.

9. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rising fuel prices may scare a few of the Covid hunters away this year.
    Diesel just hit $4 here at Loves. Sat down and redid my budget for this year.
    A Canadian bear hunt and Tennessee hog hunt in June plus Colorado in the fall only increased my budget by about $50. I can live with that.

10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Idaho drastically reduced the number of out of state tags, thus they go really fast now.

Washington has some great potential for big bulls, but that's because of how they've managed them for years and years. All OTC tags are spike only and the season is only 9 days or so.
    Washington gives out only a handful of "big bull" tags by draw only. I believe they've increased it slightly, but for years and years it was only 2 rifle tags, 2 archery tags, and 2 muzzleloader tags per year by draw only. This is Eastern Washington near the Idaho border (in the Blues), that's all I'm familiar with. The Washington residents I know say that it takes somewhere around 10-12 points to draw a big bull tag. They're lucky to draw a big bull tag as a resident once every 12 years or so. I'm not sure exactly how the non-resident tags are done, but they would be pretty scarce to come by too obviously. Would take years of accumulating points to have a good chance of drawing.
    A guy I work with, his whole family is very elk hunting oriented. They are hardcore shed hunters too. They are so familiar with the elk that they have a nickname for several of the really good ones. Every year they put up firewood at their "lookout" spot, and then during the Spring when the snow recedes they will sit at the lookout next to the fire and glass the elk all day long. They often watch the bulls drop. They mark the location and wait to go in so that they don't disturb the elk in any way. They go pick up the sheds when the elk have moved off and they won't bump them. The last "good set" they showed me was from one they called "Boone". It measured out at 406", give or take the guess at what it's spread would've been. Huge, huge bull, the mass was incredible.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yup, and for ID, NRs need to draw a low number to have a chance at premium units.

My understanding... For WA you need to buy the elk tag ($497, non refundable) and apply for special draw permit ($110). So to build 10-12 pts is costly... Not sure what areas you could hunt w/o the special, but I have to believe it's limited and crowded. WA is kinda the reverse of other states where it's a cheaper up front out of pocket app/lic fee, with a pay if you draw...