The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Once more on the phone with an IT (no) helpdesk. I get it, many companies outsource this stuff and the poor schmucks on the phone are, in some cases, trying to figure it out as they go... We're on hour 2. Cleaned up all sorts of stuff that will take a bit to recreate, rebooots, etc... Now reinstalling office.

Nothing important, just a problem with hundreds of many hours of time on...in the end, I'm willing to bet the ppt on teams gets effed up, if when they conclude 'all fixed now'. Thank God, we have the backups on in sharepoint...

2. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Too bad the meter is so far away from the house. Had it been closer you might have had a case that they caused the break.

3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cant fathom that they did not install the RF devise as requested. So much cheaper to do.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    They did, but a couple months later they put a new meter at the street.

5. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I was wrong. I didn't end up going with the guy from yesterday. Next guy came today and looked everything over. He didn't like the level of the existing line and suggested just capping it and run a new one a foot lower. Would not need to cut sidewalk and would have two dig sites. Would be a composite line, couple letters and numbers i do not recall, said it's pretty much insestructible unless you rip it up with a backhoe.

He got bonus points for complimenting my mounts in the basement, first guys didn't acknowledge them :lol:

Anyhow, he came in at $2100. Thinks he may be able to get it done tomorrow, but his guys are uncertain if they can finish a sewer install today or tomorrow morning. Monday at the latest.

ash d likes this.
  6. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ha! So to check my self while out shopping and getting water I had a logger pull up next to me. I decide to see if things have changed, though I knew it hadn't. As I closed my car door he had his window down. Can I ask you a question? What would your answer be if someone asked you how far off the line do you stay when marking and cutting? No less than 10 ft it's always been that... I smiled and said Yep as I thought...Well that started a conversation. He actually remembered me from when I set up bids on our place years ago. Well he gave me the low down on the guy that showed up the other night. Mind you to be taken with a grain of salt,though he made most of what he said easily checked. No no college to be a forester. Dropped out of HS. . Had a drinking issue in past, jail time ,anger management orders. Legal issues etc,etc..
    Found out maple ,walnut as usual, red oak are pretty high right now. Holy hell I wouldn't let that guy any where near my oaks. Also found out one of worst loggers in areas sold to a different logger ,I'll no longer give my opinion of said company New guy may be OK....

7. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    There are good and bad in every profession.

We have some **** head loggers around here too. Think nothing of taking down trees that have No Trespassing signs on them and continue on into that neighbors property.

Used to be the logger paid "stumpage" back to the injured property owner when they did that. The result was the logger still made money. Now, as the price of wood have risen so high, courts are using a formula to calculate what the timber is actually worth as boards instead of pulp wood. Deadbeat loggers are finding it doesn't pay. And it sure helps when the justice system now sees these acts as "real" crimes.

gltomp and oldnotdead like this.
  8. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    NOAA says I'm right on the bubble for 4" snow... With .3" ice

Accuweather, 1-3" snow and .25-.5" ice...

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Same here and I work through the storm. Gonna be a blast.

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Perfect time to torch a pile of brush, throw plenty of pallets on top let er buck.

11. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Get us footage of the carnage that is about to ensue.

gltomp, dnoodles, wl704 and 1 other person like this.
  12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the northern VA region you will actually see carnage with that limited snow total. It's like all the worst drivers in history decide to all drive when its 20 degrees with 2 inches of ice on the roads.

picman, dnoodles and oldnotdead like this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Order a pizza to see if the kid in a kia can get it there.:biggrin:

gltomp, picman, Mod-it and 4 others like this.
  14. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It gets worse as you head further south...

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thought about it... Wood was mostly sweet gum, some crappy maple, vines, briars. It's only had a few weeks to dry... Not so sure it'll light... Course, I do have about 5 gal of kerosene to get it started.

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pallets add weight and burn to get it going a leaf blower even at a little over an idle helps a lot. I once cut down a live 14" red pine branches and trunk except the bottom 12' burned to ash thanks to a leaf blower.

17. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say my biggest issue with some of these company's are their estimators. Some of these guys are total nimrods. Now the cutters themselves are usually pretty good. I have to squarely put the blame of problems on the land owners. You go into something like a cut knowing nothing and showing it, well you get what you deserve. I love when I hear these are standard contracts...So?. .. they may be but all contracts are made to be negotiated. Like legal penalties for NOT honoring specified trail and landing clean up. Penalties for unnecessary tree damage for remaining trees. Trees to remain on landing until trail clean up and inspection is finished.
    People need to video before, during, and after. No dropping trees on neighbor without prior permission.
    Our last loggers were great and without being mentioned they even cut tops so that removal of firewood would be safer for us..unheard of!

gltomp likes this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was wrong on December's bill, total water/sewage/sanitary was $33.80. Just looked at January bill $102.48.

February's bill is going to be up there as well as it will have 5 days of leakage on it, no clue how many January had. I'll be able to find out Monday when they dig.

Screenshot_20220113-175130_Chrome.jpg

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another commute in the snow tomorrow both to and fro.

20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Feel like an a hole I had a voice mail message a friend left when the Packers squeezed by the bengals and figured he left a message to give me crap so I ignored it. For some reason I listened to it tonight was going to reply to give him crap. He left a message that broke my heart. I get where he is in life 3 kids headed to college works his ass off at a high level and is strapped, burning that candle at both ends. So glad to be on the other side, to those on the other side keep plowing all you can do is provide that is how we are wired.