Hard bow case for flying

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mhouck06, Jan 12, 2022.

1. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have the Plano field locker bow case. I will be flying this Feb and just want to make make sure I have an adequate case for flying.

Currently my Mathews V3X fits in the case but there is not much tolerance with the sight installed. I will most likely have to take my sight off, which is fine especially with new set up.

I have traveled with the Plano field locker rifle case and had no issues.

My plan is to stuff as much clothing as I can into the bow case to help eliminate any voids. I will also probably be transporting my .454 Casull in the case, wrapped in clothing which I have done with success in the rifle case.

The other cases I was looking at were the SKB and Pelican travel cases. I have read that the pelican can be a pain to fit some different bows in.

I am just looking for any real world experience. The arrows don't matter... I can travel with them in my suitcase or bow case. Right now with the Plano, I will probably travel with 6 in the bow case.

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will probably be just fine with the plano case stuffed with clothes. I have done that several times without any issues. Make sure you take broadheads off the arrows and put them in case. You don't want to have them bounce around in luggage transport and accidentally cut a string or cable.

mhouck06 likes this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    SKB

MUDSHARK and mhouck06 like this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up the SKB Bow Traveler case last year and really like it. I don't put my bow in a case very often and when I do it's usually for longer trips where I'm traveling and bringing lots of clothes with me. I was able to fit all of the clothes I needed for a week long elk trip in the top duffel area, plus all of my bow and archery stuff in the bottom. It's exactly what I was looking for and I've always liked SKB's quality.

MUDSHARK, trial153 and mhouck06 like this.
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My SKB got retired when came out on a conveyor belt in Denver with holes in it and cracks around the latches.

I switched to a Sitka Nomad and haven’t looked back. I can fit a ton of other gear/clothing/ sleeping bags, boots Ect around the bow and get the most out of the 50 pound allowance while padding my bow. Probably have about 40 flights or so on it and it has worked fantastic. Just another option.

mhouck06 likes this.
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to use a Plano double rifle case with my Oneidas. I looked at the SKBs, but I think they were a bit heavier than my new Plano (All Weather, maybe).

I've been pulling a layer of foam and v filling the case with clothes and other soft / light extras.

It doesn't get the mileage trial gets, but has survived planes, rampers at various airports (CLT, ATL, KCI, DIA, DFW), buried in the back of vehicles, truck beds, etc.

Ymmv

mhouck06 and trial153 like this.
  7. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I have read that the sitka nomad is actually too large dimension wise and gets charged the oversize fee, regardless of weight. Have you experienced this?

8. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I like that case! Can you lock the zippers?

9. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nope, haven’t been measured yet

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, there are holes in the zippers to run a lock through if you wanted to.

mhouck06 likes this.
  11. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a SKB Double bow case that made a trip to Africa, now it sits in the shop. I picked up a Eberlestock B1 Hercules and my bow fits fine. Load it with clothes, gear and bow, toss it in the truck and go.
    If I fly again, I’ll definitely use the SKB. Load it, lock it and not worry.

mhouck06 likes this.
  12. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    SKB is the standard. They're cases are top notch. My friend just bought a case.. I want to say it was a pelican of sorts and then bought a couple slabs of uncut foam. He layed his bow in and traced it, then cut it to exact fit. The bow fits like a glove in with not need for straps, etc., and its extremely well padded. Looks like a killer setup too because if you switch bows you can get new foam and do it again.

mhouck06 likes this.
  13. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used a few different hard cases, but really like the SKBs as well.

MUDSHARK and mhouck06 like this.
  14. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have used an SKB hard case for years to travel. It worked really well. I like the Pelican 1745BowAir Case. I recently sold my SKB so I can buy this one.

mhouck06 likes this.
  15. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Our group flew with SKB, Pelican and Plano. I just ended up taking my sight off and flying with my Plano. I was able to fit my bow, 6 arrows, broadhead case, quiver, pistol, ammo, all base layers, stabs, bow stand, and releases with assorted tools. Both ways I was right around 48 pounds. I lost one lock in travel on the way home. Other than that, the case did exactly what I wanted it to. I would be hesitant to travel without a bunch of clothes inside. There was no room for anything to move, which I think helped out a lot.

1 Boar and 7 Javelinas down for the group!

SharpEyeSam likes this.