Ravin crossbows?

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Gabilgerat, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As I get older I have found it more difficult to draw My compound bow , hold it steady on target and see the pin thru the peep. I knew this day was was coming so Ive been looking into a quality crossbow. I like the new Ravin R26 but is priced out of My comfort zone at 2k!. Are they really that much better than other brand 400fps crossbows ? . I kike the idea of a 100yrd range thou!!! any body got one and can give a review? or recommend another brand with similar performance and quality?.

2. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    First off they are not a 100 yard tool for deer... They are really good but have some wrinkles..

Ten Point

Barnett

Lots of good xbows for under a grand!

3. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a crossbow i bought on sale for $299, got it for super cold hunts. PSE Fang 350

It shoots bolts clean through deer just like my father in laws Ravin. Those ravins are cool though. It put a bolt clean through my bag target and kept going, never found bolt.

Main attraction to some of those higher end crossbows is the width, or lack there of, they are narrow which is easier to deal with in a tree and or blind.

4. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thats what I like about them is the narrow width. if I am forced to abandon the Mathews and go with a crossbow I want a high quality product with the best reviews and 400fps+. It will be My last bow purchase of My life and will need to be top quality.
    BTW, a I had a barnett a few years ago and It was piece of junk. bad quality issues and I sent it back. they refunded My money after 6 months of bad customer service . will never buy another product from them.,

5. Bow Hunt

Bow Hunt Newb

Dislikes Received:
  6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you like mathews then mission actually has a pretty nice xbow line

tynimiller likes this.
  7. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If I was buying a crossbow right now it would most likely end up being a Mission or a Killer Instinct. Both solidly backed by my trusted bow shop buddy, he also sells Ravins - and says they're worth the money.

That all said, vastly too many buy a Ravin and immediately start taking longer shots than they have business taking. We (pops and I) have a close hunting friend I flat out have said to his face he is an idiot for thinking some of the shots he's taken since getting a Ravin were ethical. He's wounded a few and one big buck neighbor found dead months after season - he doesn't think it was a bad shot choice he just messed the 88 yard shot up. I begged to differ VERY MUCH

Westfinger likes this.
  8. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to say selling them (ravins) with a scope that comes with sight marks out to 100 yards just encourages people to engage in this nonsense.

tynimiller likes this.
  9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Indeed. Makes me sick!

10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I talked to two guys in a parking lot who were bragging about it. Shot a doe at 114 yards. The one guy in the blind said “i was like his spotter”. I just said “huh, pretty much defeats the purpose of bow hunting doesnt it?” Awkward silence. Carry on i guess :eek2:

dstouffer likes this.
  11. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is pure ignorance IMO. There are not a ton of things I will say I'm not willing to budge on opinion wise when it comes to hunting or at minimum appreciate hearing other thoughts...this is not one of them. I'm sorry if you're flinging a bolt 75+ yards you're not just as ignorant as the guys taking running shots or "shooting through brush" or choosing to take quartering to shots with terribly light set ups....you're worse.

12. Alex Killman

Alex Killman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of scope are y'all running? Anyone had a Burris Oracle? That thing is super pricey, but it looks really nice.