For the mechanical guys

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Dec 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some individuals simply can not accept that mechanical broad heads have a place in bow hunting, their mental limitations make it more difficult for them to grasp the concept that a mechanical broached paired with the right weighted arrow and proper KE from the bow is very effective in shooting and recovering a deer. Difficult for some not for many.

JFerg3 and Rowdyray like this.
  2. bowhuntersteve

bowhuntersteve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A couple of things.
    1. You should never look for a broadhead to bail out a bad shot, but try to eliminate bad shots.
    2. To me the shot that is most likely occur is the spine.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Every single part of my set up from the KE to my arrow choice and broad head is based on margins. I certainly do not take a shot thinking I can overcome any bad angles or long shots. I tagged a large bodied buck hit him square in the should blade my set up got my mechanical thru that shoulder blade and the other and lead to recovery vs a lost blood trail. Could I have done the same thing with a fixed head sure but my set up made the mechanical successful in that instance.

4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The thing I don't get I do not read mechanical head users ripping on fixed head users based on a lack of experience.

5. bowhuntersteve

bowhuntersteve Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Ok if that is what you meant, but you said ability and confidence to shoot, sounds like shooting ability.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Sota likes this.
  6. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have killed several deer witha 4 blade muzzy 90 gr head, they did the job, but when i started using rage heads I never looked back. The damage they do is undeniable. I think most mech heads do tremendous damge, my point to this thread is, which one seems to do the most. And yes, taking care of what causes bad shots would be great, but it ain't realistic. sure we can practice til the cows come home, but we can't control everything...

JFerg3 likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Was kind of an inside joke.

8. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some want to dismiss releases, peep sights, and mechanicals based on their narrow mentality.

9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sota. Pardon me if I'm wrong but are you referring to "me" when you mention "some people"?
    I know you have questioned me in the past and my kills/#'s.
    I aint a bullshitter.
    Without arguing/getting into again, IVE SEEN WAY TO MANY lost critters lost to mech heads. Not myself as I have never shot them and doubt I ever will. I'm a if it ain't broke, why "tryp to Fix fix it type guy.

And Yes, I've been on OVER 1000 bow kills!!
    You have mentioned several times here about the large bodied buck you killed with mechanical head. So what? How many bowkills have you been involved with in your life (yourself and others).
    Just guessing here but not many?
    Speaking here mostly of bear hunting, I will not let anyone shoot a mechanical head of any flavor at a bear again!
    On a bear, in n out is important. I do NOT chasing bear in the dark!
    This is from MUCH EXPERIENCE!

I said I wasn't gonna chime in again on this thread but I had too.
    I'd love to hear more "real world" experiences from you on why you keep being adamant on mech heads?

10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing to do with you. I do not **** measurer I am completely comfortable in my ability and accomplishments as a hunter. Have bucks in the book nothing to prove to you or any others.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Can claim thousands but Minnesota has quotas and drawings simply not possible to kill 5 deer a year for over 40 years legally much less the bear lottery drawing.

12. Rowdyray

Rowdyray Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I used 100gr Rocket Sidewinders for years. Never an issue. Always flew straight, deployed and did a lot of damage along the way. Harvested at least 10 deer with them. Most were through and through. Bent one blade and broke another off after going through the shoulder blade. Just rebuilt them. When I heard they were being discontinued, I bought up every bit and piece I could find in clearance racks. Have enough to keep my 6 going for the rest of my life.

Took a 15 year hiatus from bow hunting. The plan was to be ready for next season and use them. Now I'm told, by people half my age, they suck. Spend a poop load of money on the latest and greatest. That doesn't always work. 10 years ago my brother convinced me to go turkey hunting. We each bought several chokes and half dozen different shotgun shells. The shell that performed the worst in mine did the best in his. Same thing goes for broadheads. You need to shoot them. Too many variables. Use what works best for you and your setup. Telling other people what to use is pointless.

0317 likes this.
  13. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    You failed TOTALLY miserable on that post SotaPop!
    Party hunting is legal I Mn,
    Where did I say I 9nly hunt Mn?
    I hunt no quota area for bear and have traveled to Canada many times for bear.
    Anything you wanna add? I'm mean,input "real world" experience you've had while hunting with mech heads?
    Other then the "one big buck"?

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Its funny you mention the steel drum thing. When I setup my current arrow and broadhead configuration (Rage Trypan), and somewhat because I'm an idiot.. lol... I did the very same thing on a new burn barrel I just got. At 20 yards, I blew through the barrel quite easily. Blades on the head were pretty well junked but were intact and clearly would do its job on a deer. Seemed like a good enough test to me at the time to feel confident on a deer.

15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for proving my point, shot more than 1 with a mechanical that made the P & Y

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Also hunting big game hunting Canada requires a guide, want to take credit as a mighty bear hunter sitting over bait an outfitter placed? Also liberal doe tags in Minnesota were not a thing till the mid to late 90's

17. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, just when I think there's hope for you...

18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah inconvenient truth is troublesome.

19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Plus non quota area for bear in Minnesota was south of HWY 23 until just a few years ago.

20. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is so much that goes into the penetration ability of various setups. I think one thing that gets really overlooked by some is how well your bow is tuned. Personally I spend all summer hyper tuning to get the cleanest, best arrow flight I can out of my setups. Im capable enough of a shooter and tuner to be able to shoot bare shafts out to 40 yards (some days not so much.. lol). Anytime you can get bare shafts, fletched broadheads and fieldpoints to group together at those distances, you're going to help your penetration. I think it increases penetration quite a bit.

You stop and look at the average joe's arrow setup when they go to the woods. They probably went to the pro shop, had a dozen arrows cut and glued up, screwed in a big cut mechanical and went to the woods. Most of the popular arrows don't usually come with aftermarket components to increase foc, etc. They're your standard aluminum 20ish grain inserts. That said, they will do perfectly fine on broadside, quartering away shots if the shot is good. It does not take much. But, if your shot isn't great and you get up into the shoulder leg area... thats where things get sideways with lighter setups and where the higher weight/foc can save your butt. I say CAN, not will as nothing is a given.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.