Team 16 - Silent Slayers

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 29, 2021.

1. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heck of a morning! Just got back to the truck after a long night. The good lord was looking out for me on this one. Was trailing good blood that started to slow up to nothing. Said a little prayer and 30yds later I found him. He's no giant, but I'm tickled to have done this with my longbow on the ground. It was a long pack out too. Screenshot_20211129-124200_Gallery.jpg
    Resized_20211129_120839_03.jpeg

2. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, sounds like a great hunt!

bowhuntingbebout likes this.
  3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

4. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Man that black and white pic is all that needs to be said. What a great Bowhunt congrats!!!

5. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a feeder in the field behind my house. My son decided to set behind the shop to see if he could get one right before dark. My 5 yo granddaughter said "daddy, I want to go hunting." They didn't see anything but she sat there for a hour. Next season she will be old enough to hunt herself. imagejpeg_0(3).jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OkieArrowSlinger and cantexian like this.
  6. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats! That’s awesome that you made it happen with the traditional archery equipment and from the ground!

7. OkieArrowSlinger

Dislikes Received:
    My season is far from over. It runs through Jan. 15. I haven’t been hunting a lot the last week or so but temps have been unseasonably warm here and it’s been good to give the place a break I think. I’m still looking for a good buck but if that doesn’t happen in the next couple of weeks I should be able to at least get us 50 pts on a doe. On the positive side, a new buck has shown up on my cameras over the past couple of days. A really nice 10pt so that’s got me excited about getting back in the stand.

rbhunting1 and cantexian like this.
  8. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    @SouthernMDArcher have you had a chance to score your buck yet? Looks like a good one, congrats again.

9. SouthernMDArcher

SouthernMDArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No score yet, been real busy with work this week. I am going to try and get it done this weekend.

Dave

cantexian and cls74 like this.
  10. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    So I inherited a Ben Pearson Javelina trad bow from my FIL. It is a 40lb pull @28” draw. My FIL was a little shorter than me but it seems to fit well. It came with a half dozen XX75 arrows. I got around to shooting it this afternoon.

The bow has been stored for years with the string on. Not sure, but I think that is bad thing with trad bows. This is my first trad- style bow, I have been wanting to try it for years. Anyway, I was shooting from 10 yards and starting to put all the arrows in the lungs on my target, when the string slapped me pretty good and jumped around to the front side of the bow. I inspected the bow and found that the bottom limb was slightly warped.

I hope I am wrong, but, I assume this means the bow is unsafe to shoot and will just be more of an heirloom now. I have attached a couple pictures of it. I am pretty sure that @bowhuntingbebout and @Jensen mention they are trad shooters. Does anyone else have any opinions?

Is this a safety concern? Is it repairable? Trying to decide whether it is worth the time to go to the local proshop. I figured it would need a new string before hunting.

upload_2021-12-5_17-3-0.jpeg

upload_2021-12-5_17-3-58.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    camo75 likes this.
  11. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    That nock looks pretty rough and not parallel with one another. You could probably clean it up enough and bring them back in line. As for the warped limb, run some warm water (not hot) over the twisted section while using your hands to hold it where it belongs. Keep it there for about a minute and have someone turn the water to cold while you still keep it twisted until the limb cools. You may have to do it a couple times to get it back straight. Before I did any of that, I would run a cotton ball down the back and belly glass to make sure there aren't any cracks or anything that may cause it to come apart on you.

cantexian and camo75 like this.
  12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    thanks for the suggestions. I will give the cotton and water a try. There is no longer any kind of fiberglass coating on it, if there ever was. I am pretty sure it is close to 50 years old. It is at least 40 for sure, my wife can’t remember him ever using it. She will be 40 next year.

Assuming the water trick works, and the limb can be straighten back, would it be good to recoat it with something to protect it?

13. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    The glass is still there, but the finish may be worn off. You can use the the spray poly to recoat if needed. You can pick it up at any hardware store.

cantexian likes this.
  14. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    It took about 20 minutes under warm water and twisting it, but I was able to realign the lower limb on my recurve. I restrung it just to check string alignment and it looked good. I unstrung it and I am going to leave it like that until the weekend. It sat in a closet, strung for years if not decades. If I have time, I will take a few shots this weekend. If it checks out alright I will recoat it with polyurethane and get a new string for it. I have no intentions of hunting with it this year. But, I would like to be proficient enough to do it next year.

Adamant2010 and bowhuntingbebout like this.
  15. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Never store them standing on a limb. Hang it horizontally or vertically and unstrung. Glad the twist came out for you!

cantexian likes this.
  16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    thanks, I will do that as well.

17. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    Got a call from my buddy doing my bear skull last night. He told me that his dogs had gotten ahold of it while he had stepped away. They completely chewed the jawbone up and part of the skull. That really knocked the wind out of my sails to want to hunt anything right now. Feeling really bummed right now.

18. OkieArrowSlinger

Dislikes Received:
    Ah man, that really sucks…

19. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it after rifle season. Hunting the same Oklahoma ridge top where I shot my buck. Work has been getting in the way. 20211212_150838.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have 5 weekends left here. Pretty much brown and down when i get out. I cannot fit a fawn in the freezer so hunting for a friends freezer. He wants anything but an older buck. I'll still shoot a mature buck given the chance, $50 to donate it, but that is a really low chance of happening.