Team 5 - Texas Heart 5hot

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    dmax4me likes this.
  2. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    dmax4me likes this.
  3. buttonbuckmaster

buttonbuckmaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'll get it scored in the next couple of days. I spent yesterday cutting it up and today doing laundry. It's not that big, maybe 85 inches guessing, give or take.

4. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats guys!!!

dmax4me likes this.
  5. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
  6. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as you posted pics of your buck, I told my Dad that a teammate had just shot a 100” buck. When you said 85” yesterday, I thought you were selling yourself short. Congratulations again BB!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

7. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot quite a few bucks over 125 and a bunch years ago under 80. Never had one in between lol.

8. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    had an encounter with an 8 pointer this morning. came in to 30 yards behind me. I wasn't expecting a deer to cut over the trail I walked in on, but was expecting them to walk the ridge. This buck did 90% of what he was supposed to do. the last 10% was when he cut across the small ridge, and stopped dead in his tracks at my scent trail. He slowly backed up..looked like he was gonna bolt. If I was a right handed shot, I would have had a nice broadside 30 yard shot. I could not turn around enough to get a shot off! the light wind shifted, and carried my scent right down to him. he kept head bobbing trying to pick me off. He couldn't. He wanted to keep going but he eventually went back the way he came in. He could smell me and didn't like it. So close, but yet so far. Butt shot ridge over the years is where I've seen the most bucks. I don't know why they cruise it so much during the rut, mainly on an East wind. It's where I shot my butt shot buck from, and where my dad shot "The buck" in 85. Tomorrow is that last day of the season for this state forest. I'm not ready to be done, I've only just begun! I'm going out of my comfort zone and will go to the archery only forest where the season goes till January. Hopefully it won't be crowded during the week. We shall see!

Have we heard from some of the others in awhile? The ones who don't post much?

9. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    We are in second place now. I'm out until probably Thanksgiving weekend. Our firearms season is this Fri-Sun. I'll try to fill my doe tag late Nov-Mid January. Good luck fellas.

10. AaronB

AaronB Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Gun season starts this weekend in WI so I’ll be sitting with my older son. Might be able to get out this Wednesday or Thursday for one last sit or two. Things have quieted down after some awesome action.

Doe are once again by themselves and a little more calm and bucks are not being seen as frequently and are starting to feed again. I would say the rut is kind of winding down with certainly some doe still being followed and bred. Our team has been kicking butt!

I promise to still add 50 points at some point and hopefully I can add much more than that. Never shot a late season buck, but this might have to be the first time of I can’t get it done Wednesday or Thursday.

I know it’s just a fun contest, but can’t help feeling a little bad that we could have another 175+ points in the board if I’d have shot a doe and a buck already with all the opportunities I’ve had to do so.

Keep it up team!

11. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Joe I wish it would have happened today for you but I guess it just wasn’t your time. I think you will do well in the Archery only piece.

12. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to see you’re still at it Aaron. Don’t give up on the late season archery. It’s actually one of my favorites. Find the food source and you find the deer. I shot my buck last year on 12/26 at 14 degrees that morning. It was the first time I saw him in daylight. He was a 12 point, 164-4/8” buck.

13. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning Team 5.

When I entered buttonbuckmaster’s buck I screwed up on the math. I entered your total wrong - a whole 100 points short. I guess I forgot to carry the 1.

I’ve corrected it and you are now in first place where you belong.

I apologize for the error.

14. buttonbuckmaster

Dislikes Received:
    The fix is in, its all rigged!!! LOL j/k Chief, thanks for the update.

15. dmax4me

Dislikes Received:
    Team, we are officially in 1st place. It’s going to be tough to stay there but I believe we have the team to do it. Don’t be afraid of taking a doe earlier instead of later, unless old gnarly is following her. We got this.

16. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Had what I think was the same buck as yesterday at 5 yards this morning. only problem was, it was 20 minutes before legal shooting light! I figured he would skirt our area of interaction from yesterday and go back to his bed a different way. I setup accordingly, thinking he would use the swamp, and come out of it through the funnel. Wrong!! He went through the thick mountain laurel like a ninja, and popped out 25 yards short of the funnel practically right underneath me. he stopped at 5 yards, knew something was wrong and slowly backed away and left the same way he came. 10 minutes later, I hear crunch crunch walking on the trail I came in on. I see brown, and it was a forkhorn following my trail. I had put tinks 69 on my boots hoping to catch a small young buck to shoot for meat and points. He followed the script, just a bit to early. He stopped at the scrape where I poured some in. stayed there for a few minutes....I still could not see my pins, and I hadn't ranged the distance yet. He left a few minutes later into the swamp. That was it for sightings today.

The season ended in that state forest. I have a bunch of school work and honey do stuff I've been neglecting the past few weeks though! I'll be out Monday morning, scouting and hunting the archery only forest. If it is brown, it is down!

17. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    dmax4me likes this.
  18. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How does the archery only forest compare to your normal stomping grounds?

And man it feels good to be in first guys lol

19. Swamp Stalker

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats y'all on an awesome season so far!

the forest is 500 acres, and I've never hunted it. It is literally right up against the forest that I hunt now. I know people hunt it, but I'm not sure how many. I'll go in Monday mid morning and scout around for people mostly, and see where they are not going, and go there! I think weekdays will be my best bet, and will probably steer clear of it on fridays, and Saturdays. I'll post up a topo map of it in a bit!

20. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome that we are back in first!
    Going to try to get back out on Saturday morning. They are calling for another cold front to come through on Friday. Also will be out on Thanksgiving morning as long as I'm not needed that morning at my sisters house.

Going to do my darndest to harvest on a doe or buck this weekend!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

dmax4me and alenhard15 like this.