***Official Live From the Stand Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 22, 2021.

1. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Understood bro, thanks.
    I got a couple more full days left, it ain’t over. This property is tough, weather hasn’t helped, but I know some locked down bruisers have to start cruising again. Just gotta get lucky

2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man i didnt see crapola. A buck chasing a doe on the way in. They got within 30-40yds of us. Then i bumped a smaller buck while still hunting. Didnt come home empty handed though! Found a beast dead head. 4D220C6B-58C9-464D-B0A1-31C036BDA263.jpeg

3. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, looks like a giant! Almost muley like

tdk5525 and Shocker99 like this.
  4. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Whats awesome is i have history with it. I had encounter with this buck last year. I watched some smaller bucks chasing a doe around in CRP. Then about an hr later this guy came in and walked everywhere that doe was with head to ground. I snort wheeze and he squared up like he wanted to but then went back nose to ground. I posted about it on here. That day. I watched him for i bet 20-30 min through binos at about 80 yds so its engrained in my brain. I didnt put 2 and 2 together until i was pumping gas a little bit ago and looking at it. My exact words last year were it was the biggest main frame 8 i had ever seen on stand and it has heavy bladed G2’s with splits or crabclaws.

oldnotdead and tdk5525 like this.
  5. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s wild. Think he was shot and never found?

Shocker99 likes this.
  6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First off, I want to echo the sentiments of others today.

Thank You to all that have and are serving, both past and present! You are what allows me to live the life I choose in the manner in which I choose to live. Without you, we are all just pawns to a one rule society.

I was all but done with my rutcation until waking up this morning and catching up on the forums reminded me that today was Veterans Day. A day that I was looking forward to hunting and allowed weather to make me lose sight of it being today.

Sleeping in was actually nice as was the not sitting in wind driven rain for 3 hours, and the drive to the property went quicker than 3:40-4:40 in the morning when I'm at or below the speed limit looking for those blinking eyes on the sides of or in the roadway itself. I made it to the property at 8:40 and was greeted by two other vehicles that were hunting. Wasn't expecting it today with the rains and winds, but the early bird gets the worm. Which takes me back to the drive in.

As I'm driving down the highway I just happened to glance over into a cut cornfield. There were probably 5 hawks on the ground, likely a deer that had made it off the highway, but towering over them all was a bald eagle. While not uncommon around here anymore, its still a cool sight to see and not often I get to see one. Add in the fact that it's Veterans Day and that just made it all that more meaningful. Couldn't help but wish I had seen it sooner so I could have gotten a picture, but sometimes the best pictures in life are stored in the memory. Shortly after I looked ahead to the northwest and seen blue skies breaking from the gloom of the rain. Pondering on the Eagle and now clear skies awaiting me, felt maybe my Uncle was letting me know good things were in store.

20211111_084229.jpg

Back at the property I get dressed and nit knowing where the other two or more may be hunting head to my scrape blind. Decide to pull the cam card and as I am doing so see one of the other hunters. He's leaving to get something to eat and his dad is back in the NW corner stand. He's going to return at 2 and go back to a stand he'll have to disrupt my hunt, but no big deal this time of year it can be a good thing sometimes.

I decide to go to my favorite stand since it is open, even though he had sat it until 7:45am. Get on stand and view card, button buck overnight, fork horn before daylight and a decent 8 point at 8:27 I pulled card at 9:07 and got on stand at 9:30.

At 10:00 I look to the south and coming down 4 wheeler path is a deer. Turns out to be an up and comer 2 1/2 8pt. Walks under another stand 35yds away and onto a trail with one shot op if needed off to the abutting east property.

20211111_100300.jpg

After he moves through the sun starts breaking through and hawks start circling above scanning the grass fields for their next meal. Figured if they were out hunting in these winds I didn't make a bad choice. About 15 minutes later one of them lands in a big oak 50yds in front of me, thought he was smart and using a tree stand to do his hunting rather than using energy fighting the winds. After 45 minutes I realized he was sleeping, probably a saddle hunter :lol:

Fast forward to 12:30 and I just happen to look up, probably 50 feet higher than the hawks had been flying was a bald eagle gliding through the air. This time I got the phone out

20211111_123055.jpg

Zoomed in

Screenshot_20211111-203428_Gallery.jpg

Took a couple pictures when I thought about the bald eagle.on the drive. Put my phone away and clicked release onto my bow.

No sooner than I look to the north I see movement. Instantly thought of my uncle and he's sending me the monster. Flash of antler and he steps out. Another up and comer 2 1/2 8pt, I'm actually contemplating shooting him, then click off the release and grab phone. When he gets closer I can see his mouth is hanging open and he's panting like crazy. Had you closed your eyes and listened you'd have likely envisioned an old black lab trotting by looking for another trail to run. Couldn't get camera opened due to glare and by the time I did he was to the next treeline. Tried to kiss at him then Mehhed him, but he was going somewhere he wanted to be.

20211111_123225.jpg

Things slowed down after that, started wstching for other hunter about 1/4 til 2 as to not be caught off guard if he bumoed something my way. About 2:30 I seen the back legs of a deer down towards the box blind and figured he bumped him off the trail. Other hunter never did show up. About 10 til 4 I look to the south and see 8 turkeys coming my way. Slowly turn my head the other way and focus on derr, not these damn lazer eyed turkey, after a few minutes slowly look back and they're gone. 4:15 hits and now in the golden hour, 2 minutes later it turns into the golden shower as rain starts. Luckily it was brief and only the winds remained.

About 4:25 I look over to where the second buck above went into that small clearing, and theirs 4 of the 8 turkey, then 6. Click on my release, slowly raise bow upright. Still nit seeing me, start pulling back, 2 heads pop up. Get pulled back and start to stand as they're to my right, and they're all onto me. One is running straight away, lead it by 6"above head and let it rip. Still hit behind it by a foot :lol:

Ruined a broadhead, lighted nock did not light and my hunt was all but over. Climb down, retrieve arrow and on way out notice the box blind had a window shut that had been open. Those two rear legs of a deer at 2:30 were actually the other hunter going to it than the south stand. Little did I know my hunt was over at 2:30 as his wind was cutting anything off that I would see.

Was still an enjoyable hunt even with winds hitting upper 30's. Really thought all the signs were leading up to the buck of a lifetime, just had that feeling to it.

I'm officially done until gun season next Friday, will have bow and handgun at the ready.

JeffC, oldnotdead, slecken and 10 others like this.
  7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck 99. To bad you didn't arrow him.

Getting nasty here. Real nasty!

oldnotdead and Shocker99 like this.
  8. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Thats what im thinking. His whole body was at the edge of a point basically half in and out of water. Maybe he was gut shot late last season and laid there and died. I looked for an arrow but nothing. Where i found it was maybe 500 yds from where i had encounter last year.

cantexian, oldnotdead, FEB and 4 others like this.
  9. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a great story!

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    EHD in your area this year?

oldnotdead and Shocker99 like this.
  11. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Im not sure (this is public in Southern IL) but thats another very possible cause. I havent heard of any as of yet but maybe if i run into conservation ill ask. They make their presence very known at this spot.

tdk5525 likes this.
  12. Shocker99

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome day! Some of my most enjoyable hunts ended without bloody hands.

oldnotdead likes this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In that case, might want to get a salvage tag as well. Pretty easy to get and can save you hassle

14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I almost shot that second one. Was tempting for the meat.

What made me decide not to was remembering my other uncle telling me the uncle in reference(his brother) would always talk about me hunting and patience I had, he without a doubt never followed this thread :lol:

I'm the only person that sits all day, everyone else leaves at 9 or 10 and returns, if they do, at 2 or 3 depending on time change. If I want to hunt evenings I'll sit all day even in October and December. I know I'm not going to see anything midday but I can't go hang out somewhere for 4-5 hours and driving 2 hours roundtrip home and back is literally another hunts worth of gas.

15. snuff

snuff Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m up getting ready got rained out at work rain has stopped going to see what I can get into good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

16. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last day before the boom stick comes out. Having coffee and putting together a sneak attach plan for this morning. Think I'm going to hunt a field edge corner off the ground. Seen lots of deer over the years use this hidden field to get into their bedding area.

17. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    No forecast change here, still 35mph gusts from poor direction next 3 days.

Good luck everyone

19. vermontwhitetail

vermontwhitetail Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Balmy 61, winds at 15 but good. Rain will be upon me by 8 at which point ill either get down or move to the blind. Headed in to the stand, shooting time 0615. Good luck everyone.

20. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping they are looking for their next girlfriend. Pumpkin party starts tomorrow.

Good Luck, everyone!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk