Another health and fitness thread anyone?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Wiscohunter, Jan 18, 2018.

1. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep up the good work

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    yeah, I was steady 225 but occasionally pushing 230. I'm a little over 6' and that's just too much weight especially when it's mostly flab.
    My goal is to get down to 185 again just to say I did, and then hulk back up to just under 200. My knees and ankles just feel so much better when I am under 200. Or at least they did last time I was at that weight 7 years ago.

Pistachios and almonds are my food achilles heels. Well, that and potato chips.

I have been pretty much avoiding all carbs except some booze from time to time, and the 1x per week side of red potatoes. I was doing a decent amount of plyo the first couple weeks but admittedly have faltered on that. Still keeping the weight on a downward trend and that's what most important for now. I put on muscle pretty quick.

virginiashadow likes this.
  3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone use apple cider vinegar. Was thinking of starting to help stabilize my stomach acid as I work the midnight shift. Better digestion and less of a mildly annoying upset stomach as I eat food from 9pm to 7am. Anyone use it and see benefits such as reduced hunger due to less sugar cravings/lower cholesterol, etc?

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My wife tried this... We seem to have an abundance of vinegar. :eyeroll: I may put just ba splash of vinegar on a salad (most dressings or low fat foods, are loaded with sugar).

On the sugar cravings, I just asked the wife not to have sweets around the house, but have other snacks : meat sticks, nuts, seeds, protein bars, pork rinds...

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, between COVID and my FIL being in the hospital before passing on Friday, I just did my first workout in almost three weeks. Hit an upper body lift, nothing to strenous, just enough to feel like I did something and to help destress with how rough the past month has been.

Westfinger and virginiashadow like this.
  6. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
  7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Deadlifted yesterday for the first time in almost a month: 145 x 5, 195 x 5, 235 x 5, 285 x 3, 325 x 3, 375 x 3.

Probably could have gone heavier but I didn’t want to be to sore and stif with the Memorial on Saturday. I am expecting soreness will last a little longer since it has been a while from the last deadlift session.

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Been 6 months of 0 alcohol. Creeping slowly but surely toward my goal of 235.

cantexian, Westfinger and wl704 like this.
  9. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been get after it lifting and finally started running again. Nothing crazy just a couple miles but Its a start. With hunting in full swing I’m only doing BJJ in the evenings when I can but at least one night a week.
    Doing the 100 pull up challenge with a couple guys at work.
    The challenge is do 100 pulls ups as fast as you can but every time your feet hit the floor you have to do 25 push ups. Under 20 minutes is the goal. If nothing else it’s a good work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virginiashadow and pastorjim08 like this.
  10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    After 2+ weeks (and a lot of ibuprophen) my back started feeling a bit better. Started back to getting some morning miles, start of this week... Was feeling like I needed to up the cardio, so a added a nice 1/4 uphill jog this morning. Come on its only a 15% grade

I may throw some lower work in, like my fun uphill lunges and air squats, tomorrow, just for giggles.

Not ready for a lot of weight but thinking I'll their the pack and stand on this weekend, let the wind dictate where I go.

Might start some lighter db, presses, oh stuff next week. I can tell I'm still not 100, yet. But coming up on 56 trips around the sun, these things happen.

11. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That is fantastic!

12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in full hunt mode and will be for another 3 weeks. I may get 1 or 2 short workouts in a week. I'm so darn close to my weight goal of 235. Hovering right at 236 or 237 every day. After that I'd like to hammer out 10 more lbs. 225 would be a good weight for my old blocky rear end.

13. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Weds was my first day back in the gym in just over 2 weeks since I got the Covid. I'm a little weaker than I was and didn't have a ton of energy, but I powered through it. Took Thurs off and went again this morning. It's amazing how much sorer I am after these two workouts than I am when I'm working out 4-5 times a week on a regular basis. Even a couple of weeks off seems to make a huge difference.

14. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I want to give congrats to each of you that have dropped the weight. Life is better when you feel better. What I have learned over the past 20+ years from power lifting and then bodybuilding is this:

Set a goal. Lift weights, first and foremost. Then get your diet in check, then do cardio. In that order. Why? because lifting will build muscle and when you add muscle your body wants food because muscle burns far more calories and food makes muscle. On to # 2, what food? protien, carbs and fat. All of them are needed. you have to find what amounts for your goals. and # 3. And yes last and least is cardio. Cardio is great for the heart and to have stamina. however, it can be deadly to any of your muscle gains. You will never out run a bad diet and poor weight routine. Lift for purpose. Do you want pure strength? then power lift. Do you want to look good naked? bodybuild. Do you want to just simply feel better and look leaner? Get active, eat a proper amount calories, and do that crossfit stuff everyone talks about so much. Ok, that last bit was a joke. I hate cross fit, it's dangerous. Anyways, if you just want to drop some weight and feel a little better then forget the weights, walk about 3-5 miles 4 times a week and reduce your calories by 500 daily.. my 2 cents as a former trainer

pastorjim08 likes this.
  15. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    welcome to 40.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  16. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's a $hitty club
    In Venatione Veritas

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Finally met my weight goal. 6.5 months to drop 13 lbs. I hit 234 to 235lbs for several days now.

Next goal will be 225 and reassess.

18. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Did an upper body lift and an easy walk on the treadmill today, first workout after vacation last week. Between having COVID end of Sept/early Oct, FIL passing away and the vacation last week, my workout routine has been a complete mess the last couple of months. I am going to ease back into it this week and then try to get back hard at it next week.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Hovering about 230 for a week. Ever since I got sick my desire for sugar has dropped a lot. That's 18 lbs dropped since April. Next goal is 225. Back in the gym today before work.

20. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been trying to get into the gym a few times a week and get some short cardio sessions in where I can.
    Did a couple sessions of BJJ last week. Got smashed that first session back. Hoping I can get a buck down soon. I want to get back to training more frequently.
    Stay after it.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.