The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    farmer rick likes this.
  2. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    farmer rick likes this.
  3. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ha Ha You don't think I can shoot a buck, youth season was over Sunday

Wind was right to hunt the stand on the back corner of corn field that has woods on three sides. 1st year I've had a stand there and just put it up a couple weeks ago. When I hunted it last week I saw I needed to trim some more branches. Really cut and trimmed a lot yesterday. Thought it might be a waste to hunt there the same day, but there was crazy amount of tracks and fresh scrapes. Half an hour had a doe and fawn come in, soon a spike came and started chasing them. Other groups of does and fawns came in. Spike was chasing them all. Had a lone doe really close decided to shoot her. She busted me lifting the crossbow and tore out of there. Lucky she didn't blow and clear the field of deer. Getting close to quitting time and heard a deer coming in. Looked like a big body deer with at least 8 points. He came into field about 20 yards away and stood right where I did all the trimming. Couple weird things happened then. He was quartering away from me and all of a sudden he turned his head and looked at me could see he had a fairly wide rack. Then some antler clanking started back in the woods, sounded like some good bucks fighting. Had a crazy thought to wait and maybe see those bucks. Came to my senses and shot. He took off and it sounded like he went down just out of sight. Waited a short while and it was getting dark fast. Climbed down, went to where he was standing, good blood trail right away and dead deer maybe 60 yards away. I'll get him scored and entered with 2 pictures of me and bow in picture.

tynimiller, Oldcarp, Mudlake3 and 3 others like this.
  4. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Congratulations Rick! That’s fantastic!!

Don’t be too hard on me. I made that post at 3:30 this morning. For some reason I woke up at 2:30 and couldn’t get back to sleep. I hate when that happens.

farmer rick likes this.
  5. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It's pouring rain here all day today. If it slows a bit this afternoon, I'm heading out to setup a spot for tomorrow morning, if it's not too heavy or looks like it'll taper off, I'll sit for a few hours. Initial weather reports were supposed to drop into the 40's but it looks like it'll stay in the low 50's . That's still a significant drop from the week, maybe it'll get them moving, or perhaps it'll keep them stagnant until mid-late day. I've listened to the wired to hunt podcast with Mark Drury explaining weather etc., if I remember correctly, that is how he explained drastic weather changes and movement.
    I can see the negative impact of not having a trail cam out this year, I don't have that "big buck" image in my head, but I know there have to be at least two good bucks out there. That's how it's been the past 3-4 years, the quality of deer I've been seeing in my spot have grown pretty well since I started hunting here. It's still early and there is still time to get things moving, I've done the eyes on scouting, now I just need to see those bucks on the hoof.

I think this was the episode I was talking about;
    https://www.themeateater.com/listen...icting-deer-movement-masterclass-w-mark-drury

Oldcarp, farmer rick and LittleChief like this.
  6. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Heck ya Farmer Rick that’s a nice buck. Congratulations.

farmer rick likes this.
  7. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just joking!
    Hey thanks for the generous offer to invite us to hunt. If I was younger I'd take you up on it. Always liked hunting new places and I like tracking deer lol.

LittleChief likes this.
  8. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ash d, farmer rick and MIHOYT89 like this.
  9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I’m out, got the ozonics and thermacell running, it’s humid and the skeeters are terrible. Mainly here to set this up for tomorrow, but I’m sitting just to see if anything happens.

MIHOYT89 and LittleChief like this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck. I’m in a tree 80 yards from the tree I winged the big 8 out of a few weeks ago.

It’s cloudy, 56 degrees with a NNW wind at about 15 mph.

What a difference from the last time I was here. This time last trip the temps were pushing 90.

farmer rick, S.McArthur and MIHOYT89 like this.
  11. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Rick
    I’m headed out Monday & Wednesday next week
    Momma leaves town on the 24th so I’m hunting every night while she is gone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

farmer rick, MIHOYT89 and LittleChief like this.
  12. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing but a lone buck, it was miserable out there, way too stinking humid.I had no expectations though….soooo, success?
    Alarm is set for 0330, i premade some bacon and eggs for breakfast in the am. Bring on the cold.

ash d, Oldcarp and LittleChief like this.
  13. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Mitch and Rick congratulations on the deer:chewy:
    My Idaho hunt was a success. I shot a big two point. I really thought it was a small four. It was with four bucks and the one buck was a good buck. The cool thing about it we saw the deer A ridge over about half a mile. We did a stock got within 200 yards and my boy saw them bedded down. But the big guy was looking right at him. I have never seen my son miss a deer before with a rifle. But he did that one. The deer I shot was the last deer going over the ridge. When I got home I no more than got everything cleaned up when my other son wanted me to go elk hunting with him. He shot a spike elk at 4:30 in the afternoon we got back to the truck just a little over midnight last night. I am totally beat up and sore. Here are a couple pictures of the hunt.
    In two weeks I leave for Kansas for a week. I should hopefully rack up some points for our team. Saying that I hope I didn’t jinx myself

Attached Files:

14. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Here’s me packing out the deer. I am feeling my age this week

Attached Files:

15. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s a great picture old carp.

LittleChief and Oldcarp like this.
  16. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Ash it was a fun but cold hunt

LittleChief and MIHOYT89 like this.
  17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you had a great time.

Congratulations on the buck!

I’ve been hunting hard since Friday afternoon but all I’m seeing are does and small bucks.

Oldcarp likes this.
  18. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Chief.
    Good luck out there

19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for being MIA - I personally did get out Saturday evening, had an excellent hunt and filmed a ton of good content...sadly just no bucks came out. Had a MASSIVE nanny stand feeding at 12 yards broadside for like 8 minutes solid....begging me to shoot, I nearly drew four times but kept hearing deer in sanctuary from where she (and 7 others) came from. Just couldn't risk a shooter being what I was hearing. It never happened.

However Saturday hours before that Pops and I discussed where we were both going...he decided to go sit an oak flat above a river bottom we have permission on, the one stand we have there wasn't good for the wind so was gonna sit up on the ground. He entered woods at like 330, found a spot sat down, but too much understory (lot of pokeweed) obstructed too much of his view. Walked 50 yards west where he put a ground blind for the landowner to use (cannot climb ladder to his "hut" for health reasons anymore). He got in, sat down got ozonics turned on and turned to text me "set up" and a buck was already coming... LOL

3:49 PM he had sent a bolt through the boiler room (clipped top of the heart). The worst part was the buck had managed to make the 80-100 yards to the edge of the flat and toppled down the STEEP "cliff/hill" fifty feet or so down to the bottom. Helping him drag that deer up and out was TERRIBLE - easily the worst ever.

His initial picture when he found it I thought solid 8, nothing special. But when you see this brute, he instantly snaps that back some. Mass for days (his left side between G2 and G3 may be same measurement as base) and a massive body - with a "quad" throat patch almost. Just a cool deer and mature for sure.

Attached Files:

ash d, Oldcarp, MIHOYT89 and 2 others like this.
  20. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Beautiful country out there!!! This Sunday I leave for Kansas.... what part yo heading to? Central Kansas for me

ash d and Oldcarp like this.