Grim Reaper Whitetail Special 100 grain

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by LittleChief, Oct 14, 2021.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The count right now is 3 kills/one loss.

Since the season started I’ve killed three does and lost a big buck with the 100 grain Grim Reaper Whitetail Special.

I hit the big, mature buck in the shoulder and it didn’t end well. The broadhead was destroyed.

Still, it’s the last doe I killed in Arkansas that interested me. It was a terrible shot and it’s one I’m not proud of. Well, it started as a perfect shot flying true at a quartering away doe at 45 yards but the doe heard the arrow coming and started to wheel hard left, appearing to turn into a “ball of deer” just as the arrow hit. I honestly had no idea where I’d hit her.

What I found when we recovered her after a gruesome blood trail was her lower right hind leg had almost been amputated. The tibia was shattered and the lower third of the tibia and the rest of the leg was hanging by the tendon and two flaps of hide.

It wasn’t until I processed her that I was really surprised.

When she wheeled left she must have raised her right hind leg up because the broadhead went right through the joint of the femur and tibia.

The lower blade embedded in the big bone and snapped off. If you zoom in on the first pic you’ll see the Grim Reaper blade sticking out.

The two blades that were at the 10:00 and 2:00 positions actually sliced off big chunks of femur joint. You can see this in the second pic.

The third pic is, of course, the broadhead after going through the joint and then somehow demolishing the tibia. I also included the sliced off pieces of the femur.

If they can do this I don’t see any reason to shy away from them too much.

upload_2021-10-14_13-40-14.jpeg

upload_2021-10-14_13-40-56.jpeg

upload_2021-10-14_13-41-24.jpeg

MUDSHARK likes this.
  2. alenhard15

alenhard15 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That is some crazy damage! I know you also shoot slick tricks. I myself am a certified shoulder hugger so I have sworn off mechanicals for good. I know a lot of people that have a ton of success with them, and i have had a good amount of success as well, but fixed blades it is for me! That being said that is down right impressive what that head did!

MUDSHARK and LittleChief like this.
  3. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing. The last deer I shot with one of these literally went 15 yards. I "accessed" the heart directly through the shoulder. She couldn't run or pump the red stuff.
    I don't have any in my quiver right now due to the constant reviews/complaints about durability... but maybe that's a mistake. :confused:

4. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Right now I'm carrying three Grim Reapers and three Slick Trick Magnums in my quiver.

I've seen both what the Grim Reaper will do to a doe scapula and what a big, mature buck scapula will do to a Grim Reaper, so I nock the Grim Reapers when I'm hunting where I think I'll only see does (like here at home right now). Tomorrow afternoon, Saturday and Sunday in midwest Missouri I'll have a Slick Trick nocked.

Bone Head Hunter and Suncrest08 like this.
  5. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That’s Impressive for sure, I see the benefits of a mech no doubt, I still been shooting fixed. I tried out Exodus this year and love them, always shot ST mags b4. I have a handful of hybrid heads I’d like to try out too. That damage is crazy!

6. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for posting, i shoot the grim reapers pro! not quite the cutting radius as the white tail, but now i may try them next year. keep what i have for this year. the bow is shooting well with the *PRO's*

LittleChief likes this.