Shoulder Pain

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Harrison98, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Harrison98

Harrison98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I just got into compound bows a few weeks ago, starting out with a 30lbs draw to ease myself into it, as I've had back issues in the past... First two weeks was great, practiced for a bit almost every day minus a couple due to having to have adjustments made to the bow. When I started again after said adjustments, I felt pain a few hours later in my left shoulder. I'm not sure if it matters, but I shoot right handed. That night was rather painful as I apparently rolled over onto the shoulder in my sleep. A week or so goes by, pain has gone away minus the odd popping in my shoulder around the rotator cuff area. I shoot half a dozen times today, and the pain hits me again - it's not severe, more of an ache that's more pronounced when I raise my arm. Range of motion seems to very mildly be affected.

Is this fairly normal for newbies to have to go through? Are there exercises or stretches I can do? I'm already hooked on it and would hate to have to give it up, especially so early on.

JeffKo likes this.
  2. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    30 lbs should not be causing you that much pain….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Harrison98

Harrison98 Newb

Dislikes Received:

That's what I'm wondering, 30lbs feels like nothing and although I'm a newbie, I've had guidance from experienced fellas and been told that my posture/ect was good? All that I can figure is I managed to move funky once and did something. I feel that perhaps something as simple as specific exercises might prevent this?

4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Go to an orthopedic doctor and get it checked out. With that kind of pain at that low of a draw weight, something is wrong and it should not be played off. Best case scenario, it is bad inflammation and a steroid shot with a little physical therapy will resolve this issue. The odd popping you describe is concerning to me. That sounds like it has the potential to be a labrum tear, which would require surgery to fix. It could just be really tight ligaments in the rotator cuff but with a limited range of motion, I doubt it. I am not trying to scare you, just trying to give you a realistic understanding of where your shoulder probably is with its health.

For reference, I am a personal trainer/strength coach and the manager of a medical school fitness center. I am constantly working with people to help the avoid, or recover from, the type of scenario you are describing. Go get checked out, this is not something that should be put off, hoping it goes away.

Mod-it likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    With that low amount of draw weight, you shouldn't be having the type of pain you're describing. Most of us were shooting 30 lbs at 10 and 11 years old. Definitely get it checked out.

6. Harrison98

Harrison98 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Oof. That's rather concerning. I took anti inflammatory meds last night, today there's no pain but still that slight popping if I lift my arm straight up, more-so when I raise my arm in front of me rather than to the side, but not as much as before. So, hoping if there's something wrong it can be fixed without surgery...

7. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    does it hurt to reach overhead and put on a tee shirt or reach up to get something off a shelf above your head?

8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I tore my shoulder I had a dull ache until I used it, then it would be more discomforting. My range of motion was limited in upward motion when raising my elbow like a wing. Couldn't get much more than parallel with it.

Definitely worth getting checked out and having an ultrasound done. Mine didn't require surgery luckily.

9. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Did the popping start after shooting the bow, of after the one night you mentioned you slept on it wrong?

10. Harrison98

Harrison98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Today there is no pain, reaching for high places isn't currently a problem. The day it happened there was light pain in doing so, and again yesterday after I shot. Everything has been very light and more of a nuisance except when I'd rolled on it in my sleep that first night. It's all been very inconsistent.

11. Harrison98

Harrison98 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Very mild change in range of motion the first couple of days, was a little weird raising my arm straight up in the air or reaching behind my back. Currently I can move it any which way easily, but still with some popping.

12. Harrison98

Harrison98 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest I'm not sure if the popping started right away or not, I did not notice it until after I slept wrong, though, so I'd hazard a guess that's when it happened. I've been careful to stay off that shoulder since then, minus when I rolled over to wake my husband up this morning but felt no pain in that very short time frame.

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Based on that, it could just be tight ligaments. However, sometimes will a mild tear, pain symptoms will only be felt during or immediately after activities that cause the shoulder to work. If you experience pain again after the next time you try shooting definitely get it checked out. A mild tear may heal on its own without surgery. However, a mild tear can quickly become a serious tear if left untreated. A serious tear will require surgery to fix.

14. polytriangle

polytriangle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got something similar when started shooting compound, it lasted for several weeks and even if not using the bow it felt like getting worse over time.
    After some youtube searches, I started doing some specific shoulder movement training every day and got rid of it.
    I think pulling the bow wrong with a too low elbow was my mistake, it puts alot of tension on weak muscles in shoulder instead of utilizing muscles on the back.

oldnotdead likes this.
  15. Harrison98

Harrison98 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Can you link me to the video, please?

16. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe Cartesian can address this. One year I had a similar issue. Now I have ,can't think of name at moment, a weak tendon issue. Which results in sprains, rips and dislocations. I spent all one fall and hunting season with such pain. Ignored it until I was ways holding my arm across my chest. Went to my Dr. who is a sports Dr. for a few colleges in the area.
    I just off handed mentioned the Pain to him during a visit. He moved my arm around to check then held it out asking does this hurt.YES SIR! Without warning he gave it a pull. Holly cow I nearly punched him with my good hand that hurt. It hurt for just a moment and the constant dull pain that had developed over time was gone. He looked at me and said you've had a dislocated shoulder for almost 6 months! Then lectured me.
    Point is sometimes you can live with bad issues thinking they aren't get help sooner than later.

17. polytriangle

polytriangle Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Here is the exercises demonstrated that I followed, looks kind of weird but it worked out for my shoulder

18. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Every season for years, I had soreness when I stated sighting in, even my back would hurt. After spending nearly, a decade out of the woods, last season My daughter asked to go bow hunting. I blew the dust off my old Hoyt...began shooting. 52-55lbs give or take. I am not kidding; I thought I tore a rotator cuff. So, I’m not going to Say: this is normal “Normal” …I will say it’s not unprecedented.

After I got a brand-new used bow, I was still having shoulder soreness...IN my left shoulder, my Bow-side, and my right side lower back. As I disguised this with my Bow Tech. He watched me shoot a few arrows. He adjusted my stance, and draw. Was that the cure...not entirely? But his last comment stuck in my head...because he basically handed me a mirror to look at myself

"Bow Hunters have a bad habit of shooting their bows 'starting' in mid to late August. Most the week before opening day." You're left arm & shoulder are resisting the bows draw weight, Your body is NOT use use to holding off 30 - 60lb...over and over"...You should shoot yr round'... You don't become Robin Hood over night. You have to practice"

Keep this in mind...Your draw weight is adjusted, by your cams (like a pulley system). Yet, your grip-side (Bow-side) is keeping the entire draw weight (bow) from smashing back into your head. Your bows design has a certain percentage of let-off...You may "let-off" with your nock side...trust me...your Bow-side really really wants to let it off.
    The longer you shoot, and the longer you fix on the target...the more stress and strain you put on your shoulder until you've devolved the strength to do this action for 30-40 mins. Honestly I never practice more than 20 mins actual shooting. I take breaks...Make sight adjustments etc.

Even though I began practicing back in May, I still experience the shoulder and back pain. Not as much. There are practice device made from rubber resistance bands...after you see their prices; you'll find the a set of band for 1/3 the cost and do the training on your own. I will make this suggestion; This season I began following 'John Dudley' Knock On™ Ytube channel, then I drift to his website. He has a section called: Nock Fit: https://nockonarchery.com/nock-fit/
    I was doing some 'modified' training he does, especially legs because of the hike we had to take. Check it out. Again; Don't get discouraged and don't trade it in for a Cross-bow and claim shoulder injury....I've been there...take your time limit your practice until your body adjusts and don't be afraid to do some resistant band shoulder exercise

oldnotdead likes this.
  19. icezebra

icezebra Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Agree w/ Cantexian. I am a PT, have had Bilat Rot Cuff surgeries and a R total shoulder. I still hunt, but have to maintain shoulder stability w/ exercise. Would suggest you get hooked up w/ a shoulder ortho who can send you to a Shoulder PT for an assessment for impingement/labrum/rotator cuff lesions. The longer you wait, the worse it will become. It will NOT heal itself.

cantexian and oldnotdead like this.