Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it's the rona you'll have super immunity.

10-01 through 10-10 I had a cough, sore throat, headache, and felt like my face was going to explode it was so stuff in the face.

No fever and could still taste and smell. I just stayed home

2. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you

3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That was how I felt, I am not vaccinated. I know it is serious for others, and, they have my sympathy. For me personally, it was pretty pathetic. Every other time in my life that I have been sick, I have been way worse.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As with any number or stat, it can be misleading depending on how you look at it.

Since we're looking at UK numbers it's important to know that somewhere around 95% of people over 70 have been vaccinated. That leaves a very small part of that age range who hasn't. Naturally, you're going to see more deaths in vaccinated people than unvaccinated since there are simply more of them.

The number that really matters is the fatality rate. That is shown in the two far-right columns that are conveniently not highlighted. The deaths per 100,000 people are always 3-5x higher in unvaccinated folks than in vaccinated ones.

Across all countries and all data points, the numbers bear out that unvaccinated people have a much higher likelihood of hospitalization and death than those who got the vaccine.

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Listen to the podcast I linked they go over this. Very good conversation

6. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    or if there's a difference between the two?

My dad got a false negative at CVS. Said he didn't have it, the CDC called back the next evening and said he did have it. He was really sick though.

Hope all is well.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've had colds WAY worse than this. Tuesday was the worst day. I was somewhat tired and achy, coughing and sneezing a lot. I still worked from home for the full day without any issues though. It's not like I was bed-ridden by any means. Today I have a runny nose and a very minor cough. That's literally it.

Doc says if I have it I'll need to quarantine until the 21st. The weather looks pretty good next week, so I foresee some early work mornings and a fair share of afternoon hunts in my near future. :nana:

ash d, PinkPony, dnoodles and 2 others like this.
  8. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I was hoping for a hunting vacation when I tested positive. Unfortunately, it hit my wife a lot harder and I needed to stay home to help with the kids.

Fix likes this.
  9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Family first
    In Venatione Veritas

cantexian likes this.
  10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is my fear. Wife getting it and kids needing to quarantine from school. Then I'm in a world of hurt. :lol:

cantexian likes this.
  11. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Always

12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Yours IPAs won't be strong enough. I suggest bourbon or another liquor as a survival mechanism. :beer::lol:

picman and short69 like this.
  13. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm heading to NW Chicago tomorrow to pick up some machines I bought. Can I swing by and pick up the "Justin" variant on my way through? I got jabbed so it should protect me from the hospital, I'm expecting bucks to pick up moving next week here in MN. Timing couldn't be better...

ash d likes this.
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If we still had phone booths we could just meet up inside one for a few minutes. Hot box and call it good.

wl704, ash d and Hotrod9 like this.
  15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Can confirm.

cantexian likes this.
  16. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This whole thing is just simply f'd up because of politics.
    So much fear mongering, misinformation from both sides to try to make the other side look bad, and just plain lack of applying common sense to what real world experience and data shows.

My 83 year old grandmother got vaccinated last March. A few weeks ago she started feeling sick. She lives in an assisted living facility so they of course tested her. Positive.
    She had some congestion, a slight cough, and some sneezing for about 4 days. She was confined to her room but was allowed to go for a walk outside the facility once a day if she wanted. She hates being stuck in her room and went for her walk every day. That speaks pretty highly of how mild her symptoms were. By day 5 she felt 100% fine again.
    So, around 7 months after getting vaccinated she got covid and it was nothing more than a mild cold for her.
    The vax didn't stop her from getting it. It does appear to have helped her to have very mild symptoms.

Is the vax very effective at stopping you from getting covid, especially the Delta variant? No, doesn't seem to be real high percentage in working for that.
    Is the vax very effective at keeping your symptoms mild if you catch covid? Yes, does seem to be high percentage for that.
    My grandma is just one example of many I've seen or heard about from other people, both in person and from internet communication. These examples line up with published data.
    I feel the vax isn't that great at stopping you from getting covid.
    I feel the vax is great at reducing or eliminating symptoms if you catch covid.
    I feel the vax does cause some serious health issues for some that get the shot.
    Even though I view the vax as I've said, I feel it is a dangerous precedent to let the government find out we'll sit idly by and let them force us to get something injected into our body and am shocked that 99.9% of people don't also feel this way.
    They are saying they aren't forcing us, yet our livelihood is threatened if we don't. They are trying to say they're not forcing the vax because you have the option to get tested weekly instead of getting the vax. BS! No business is going to volunteer to do the extra paperwork involved with that or to pay for the cost. So the opt out option, even if you're lucky enough to work for a company that will offer that as an option, will end up costing people hard earned money out of their paycheck every single week. Still threatens their livelihood.
    It's no wonder why "Lets go Brandon" is viral right now. How the current government views our intelligence, our ability to make our own decisions, should be very offensive to everyone if they think about it.
    I chose to get the vax before it was announced it would be "mandated". If I hadn't already gotten it I would absolutely not get it after hearing that just out of principle. They are only making people resist even more by trying to force it, but they'll never realize that because their view of us is that we are poor stupid idiots that aren't smart enough to make the proper decision for ourselves. The proper decision of course being the one that matches their opinion on things, there is no other opinion that is valid. I think there's a word for that...

Justin likes this.
  17. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Just pointing out she may have been fine even without the shots. No way to know either way. I mean hell, placebo effect alone is a powerful drug.

18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    there's always the Toll Plaza bathroom.

19. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Listened to the whole thing.

Not for one second do I buy his stupid trope anecdote about his 77 year old HVAC repairman who's daughter had just died and right before she went on the ventilator she said "get vaccinated before it's too late." What utter BS. I have heard the exact same story far too many times from people with the VacciNation agenda.

I am supposed to believe that a 77 year old is still doing HVAC, his daughter just died days before, and his customer just happens to be the second-most famous TV doctor? And he has not been able to get his real normal doctor to call him back? Plufukinease. Get bent, Gupta.

Bootlegger likes this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Didn't listen to it, but sounds a lot like RBG's final wish that Biden would name her successor or whatever it was :lol:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
    dnoodles likes this.