Quartering away bow shot, 4.5 inch penetration

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vincent DeFlorio, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    There are so many ifs and unknowns in this story it's impossible to determine what happened unless the animal is recovered. If you happen to see it or get pictures of it later (assuming it survives) that may give you some additional insight into what may have gone wrong.

I'll say this much - quite often what the archer thinks they see, and what actually happens, are two entirely different things. While it's not impossible for an arrow with that type of setup to glance off the ribs at a quartering-away angle, it's pretty unlikely. A true mid-rib hit with your setup should kill a deer in pretty short order.

Personally, I think you slid it into the back of his near-side shoulder. Of course, I'm just speculating based on what I've read here.

I will also end with the statement that I don't particularly light a lightweight CX arrow shooting 60 lbs and a 2" mechanical up front. While I don't think a super-heavy arrow and 200 grain single bevel head is necessary either. I do prefer something in the 450-500 grain range for whitetails. At 60 lbs you're probably shooting a 400 spine arrow, which is going to be a touch on the light side anyways.

tynimiller likes this.
  2. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man it happens. I have some shots that i thought were double lung and end up not finding the deer. In my years of experience, deer shot through both lungs on a quarter away shot do not go far at all. On a side note, and i am not being a prick, but you need to KNOW your draw length, arrow weight, arrow length etc so you can have the right set for hunting, I know that many many people just go to shaop get a bow and let the "guy" at the shop just get you shooting, but there is a reason for all the tech stuff we always talk about. it's just not so cut and dry.

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    For sure, and use this forum! There are a ton of folks on here that know an incredible amount about arrow builds - and even quite diverse preferences are represented here.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    CX 250s are a 400 spine...cx's scheme is the reverse of the rest of the world. But the reds are only a tad over 8gpi...total arrow at 32" would likely be at/under 400 gr. (unless he has half outs, extra weight or non stock inserts).

To the OP:
    As others be said many potential variables. Potentially caught a few ribs with the wide blades then flicked back out... Maybe hit a leg joint.. Who knows.

I had a similar hit many years ago and switched to fixed blades. In part from research like Ashby has done (though I'm not fully on board with his Kool aid, I have adopted more over the years) and also based on advice/experiences of others I know who are absolute killers with a bow.

I still have a mech in the quiver, but I keep it there in case I need that extra long follow up shot... Or a yote.

Good luck on the recovery!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  5. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This was the buck. I appreciate all your answers after about 8 hours of searching I couldn’t find anything but the 50 yard blood trail. I am thinking of getting everything tuned like you’ve said to know exactly what I’m shooting. Someone else told me rage broadheads at 60lbs sometimes don’t pass through and don’t leave good blood. I shot a buck 2 years ago in the heart with a rage and barley had any blood but the buck was 20 yards away. I’ll upload a picture of that as well. Any suggestions on fixed broadheads or if I should up my poundage to 70?

Attached Files:

6. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This was with the same set up. Barley any blood but deer was 20 yards away.

Attached Files:

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    60 lbs is enough for a rage head such at the Hypodermic +p or low KE mechanical. something like 1.5" cut. I have killed a few deer with 60 lbs and 1.5" rage no problems. It may not be the set up as much as you just not having the bow tuned, I think you said you were maybe a 32" draw length? At that draw length you are push some serious KE and momentum with 60 lbs

warreye likes this.
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm trying out annihilators this year. So far they tune great.
    I would say that if you are comfortable at 70 you should bump up to it.
    Also and probably most important, tune your bow. Even if you have to build a paper rig at home.

In Venatione Veritas

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Bumping poundage without knowing if tuned properly will only increase flight/impact issues if some exist.

Vabowman likes this.
  10. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got my bow tuned this year, the bottom cam was at full draw before top but the guy at the store didn’t even want to check it for some reason. Spent a lot of money on that carbon defiant and all he said was “did you drop it?”. No I just want you to tune the bow I paid serious money for. I will start looking through more posts and watching videos on tuning bow. I’ve seen things like the paper shot.

11. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Look into bare shaft tuning as well. Eastman outdoors has some good videos on Youtube showing the process. Will need to broadhead tune as well to make sure the BH are matching Field points.

12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I'm wrong here but tuning should be handled personally. You anchor and cycle differently than other people so it should be you paper tuning.
    In Venatione Veritas

wl704 likes this.
  13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree. I was making two separate comments. He should shoot whatever he can handle smoothly and not under poundage.
    In Venatione Veritas

tynimiller likes this.
  14. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    sounds to me like you hit hip area, also Mechanicle heads have a bad reputation on angled shots !!!!

15. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    most bow shops around do not like to help with tune...either they are just busy or lazy or they don't know how.. Whenever I mention that I want to paper tune to one these guys, they get this look on their face like I just asked to sleep with their wife...and then they say ok I guess we can do that

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I would question their experience and professionalism right to their face and ask them if they know an actual professional bow shop that goes through the proper process setting up a bow for someone you can go spend money at?

I drive twice as far as two other shops, because my guy does it well.

17. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m in the same boat. They are busy and I understand that. I am not gonna be a guy that shows up and demands they drop everyone and work on me. I usually call and ask for a good time and go with that. Most minor stuff I can do myself.

I also want to second what Justin said. What actually happens versus what the shooter swears he saw are often different. We see it at work which is why we try to record scenarios for debrief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tynimiller likes this.
  18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I drive 35 mins as opposed to 15 myself.
    In Venatione Veritas

tynimiller likes this.
  19. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hopefully this doesn’t start an argument on the merits of Ashby’s report (though he has done more testing than “well Every deer I shot”), but Ashby has routinely shown that “just getting the broad head into the lungs” is not very effective at all. It has been thought by many hunters if I can get a broad head into the chest even without a pass through it will just tear up the lungs and that shows very little understanding of lung tissue. The lungs are designed to pull and resist something like that. Don’t take my word for it, it’s coming from military trauma surgeons and tests. Lungs are pretty incredible. Material. Lay your broad head in one the next time you are gutting and shake it around. See how much cutting is happening or lack there of. Just my two cents on the importance of getting a pass through on a deer or any animal for that matter. Once again not trying to argue the Ashby report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    man you wouldn't believe how many endless blood trails I have been on that my buddy doubled lunged him and he swears by it....sarcasm there