Quartering away bow shot, 4.5 inch penetration

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vincent DeFlorio, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a nice old 7 point late this evening as he as quartering away. He kicked like a mule and took off with his tail between his legs and head basically hitting the ground. I thought I slammed him but when I retrieved my arrow it seems there was blood on only the first 4.5 inch of it (including broadhead). Arrow did not break neither did broadhead but the knock flew off. Do you think I hit a shoulder? Is it possible with 4.5 inch penetration quartering away that I could've hit a lung? Did not see blood on ground but there was blood and gelatin (meat like substance) on the bow and inside the mechanical rage broadhead. Will look tomorrow but would appreciate to hear what some of you think. Thanks.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man sorry that's tough. That enough penetration to kill but e with the angle it could also be less. I would leave him alone tonight and get a dog on him(if legal) asap

In Venatione Veritas

foodplot19 likes this.
  3. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i Am also in western NY near Monticello.. will try and find someone with a dog. Only heard him run for about 10 seconds than silence.. wonder if hes not even that far.

4. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had something similar with penetration last year. I had about 5 inches of blood on the arrow, otherwise clean. Tracked the next day to a dead deer. Unfortunately for me the coyotes got her first and there was little left, nothing to salvage except the experience and a very difficult tracking job. Give it a go tomorrow morning and see what you find.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

5. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4.5" of penetration is more then enough if the arrow was put in the right spot. Deer aren't very wide. It doesn't take that much. If you hit solid bone I wouldn't expect more then a 1" or 2" of penetration.

Vabowman likes this.
  6. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Any update Vincent?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

7. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Found this after 90 minutes.. on a 50 yard blood trail bet drips and drabs due to rain. At the end of the 50 yards I can’t find anymore blood

8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  9. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
  10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So in order to even unpack what or where the arrow could have done let's back up and discuss impact point?

So you say deer was quartering away, look online and see if you can find a photo of a deer in a similar positioning.

Then close your eyes and visualize the shot, or if you film the hunt watch it. Now show us where you hit the deer.

Also what was the distance of the shot.
    Bow you shooot, arrow build total weight and draw weight.

Best of luck and keep looking regardless.

11. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
  12. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    upload_2021-10-11_12-0-26.jpeg
    id say he looked like this, but him I believe center ribs. Was trying to aim back towards gut area to line up with opposite leg. 23 yards away shoot a 60 lb Hoyt with carbon express arrows, 100 grain rage broadhead

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I'll always be honest, so please don't take any of what I say as attempting to be a jerk - purely trying to walk through the hows and such of the shot.

So with that angle and belief that impact was center, avoiding shoulders and back legs...I'm struggling on how at 23 yards you got such little penetration.

As @Justin and others have said a super heavy arrow build isn't necessary to kill a whitetail, but i'm curious what your overall build weighs. If you know what model your carbon express arrows are share please.

Also if you know their length post that as well.
    Draw length also?

14. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I’m assuming it hit a rib or hit the front shoulder after it went in.. I don’t think I’d get 5 inch penetration if I slammed right into shoulder blade but I’m not sure. Carbon express red 250s, draw length might be 32 I’m not sure. I’m 6’2. Also shooting at 25 yards something that goes 250 fps it’s hard to tell exactly where I hit him.

15. Vincent DeFlorio

Vincent DeFlorio Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hitting center ribs at a heavily quartering away deer most likely hit that sides shoulder I’d imagine… was trying to go back by gut

16. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Do you shoot luminated nocks by chance? May not be legal for you.

If you hit center ribs, I personally would never expect it to hit deflect that much to hit shoulder.

As for the searching, I'd at this point start doing a grid search, hope you find it!

17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Time to switch to fixed!
    If he is real trophy enough to destroy your spot for a few weeks I would advise a few friends and grid at least a few hundred yards

In Venatione Veritas

18. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hard to tell from picture, but looks like either muscle blood or maybe liver? Don't see any bubbles from what I can tell. Is it possible it was quartering harder than you remember? Maybe deflected and just skinned down the rib cage until it hit shoulder or leg? Just trying to make sense of it all, as I am sure you are as well. Any bubbles in the blood that you found on the ground?

19. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    quartering away shots are tough.
    Ive put 3 different possible arrow paths based on 2 different probably shot angles based on the picture your provided.
    In my opinion you're either of the 2 green lines, the small blue line is probably what your arrow did after hitting the bone. If a shallow enough angle enough the skin and superficial muscle could have been cut/torn enough by initial impact to allow back 3/4 of arrow to not get covered.

My guess is you are the left deer green line, that deer is going to have a painful weekend but you'll probably get him on camera next week

Attached Files:

20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    It should be concerning to an archer if their arrow deflects that much due to rib. Either your angle was incredibly steep or your arrow isn't built even mildly heavy enough.

If as NebMo Hunter indicates his hunch is direct shoulder impact, then of course the broadhead selection and arrow build become arguably the most crucial item - direct shoulder impacts can only be conquered honestly with arrow builds most would deem unnecessary - because it is the only time they truly arguably become needed.