The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you think that the break in the lower part of the leg could be just that, a break? Similar to a freak sports accident. Her leg would have been completely immobilized from the arrow impact, as she was running she could have dug it into the ground, smacked it against a rock or tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I guess that is a possibility. I wish now I’d taken pics of that visible wound.

I was looking at the pics again and for the first time I realized that the arrow went through the joint first. The blade in the top of the tibia has the cutting edge down.

She must have raised that leg to bolt and the arrow hit there. I’m amazed that a mechanical went through that joint and did that damage.

Maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to ditch the Grim Reapers. One thing I’m sure of is that if I make a good shot with them then ribs won’t be a problem.

3. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a buddy that shoots the whitetail special I believe and he loves them. He’s using them out of a compound but he’s also 6’4” and about 250# pulling 80#.

LittleChief likes this.
  4. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Johnny I think your right about the leg being up.

75 Degrees when we went out yesterday. Fork horn and a doe showed up right before quitting time. Grandson made a great shot on the doe. Asked him why he didn't shoot the buck. he said it wasn't big enough. Surprised us the buck didn't want to leave the dead doe. She was small like 1 1/2 like the buck, makes me think they might be twin fawns from last year and still together. IMG_1686.JPG

5. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The forecast calls for a high of 55 on Friday compared to 82 today
    I’ll be in the stand although the camera shows a significant drop in deer after October 1st
    They are finding dead deer here in Nebraska and EHD is the blame…I call it blue tongue but caught hell for that although GOOGLE told me it’s the same
    Jail house attorneys & social media experts are always humorous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LittleChief likes this.
  6. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Brett that's to bad about EHD hope it doesn't get to bad and you get some cold weather soon to end it.

Weather cooled down here, went to a food plot yesterday to shoot a doe. Doe .two yearlings, two fawns came within 20 yards and were sniffing around my mock scrape. Trying to decide if I should shoot one of the yearlings or the doe. Small buck came running in and chased them off. That was it for evening. What's the old saying, he who hesitates loses.:sad:

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  7. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Spent the weekend with my wife/son, took him to the pumpkin patch and movies. They are leaving tomorrow and I will be unsupervised until Sunday afternoon. Weather is supped to drop significantly Friday evening. I was asked to go to Illinois to hunt, but I think I'll stay home and hit the local spot hard all weekend, besides, the guy that wants me to go with him is a hardcore field edge type hunter. No going into the deep stuff; plus, I don't feel like giving Illinois $450. I'm debating about setting up a little campsite, but it it's only a 20min drive to/far the homestead.
    I did a little scout walking out the other day looking for scrapes but found none, I think I'll pick a spot Thursday evening and go from there. My first instinct is to hunt the rubs/cedar area, but I've been watching them travel to from/bed area, so I'm kind of torn. Hopefully there will be a little more intel to use this week.

Oldcarp, ash d and LittleChief like this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    What you need for this trip is me and my travel trailer. :lol:

Oldcarp, ash d and MIHOYT89 like this.
  9. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    If it was my land I’d tell you to come on down. You might get bored, it’s only 60acres…surrounded by 300ish I can’t access. I’m 25min from cheatham WMA if you ever want some public land.

10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Nah, I was joking. That would be a long trip towing a travel trailer.

Speaking of traveling, are you still planning on coming up here sometime to hunt?

11. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good work!

12. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It looking like this weekend is shaping up very nicely here in the Midwest! If I can get out I’m going to be moving into some of my better spots. We’ve had a ton of rain with small chances for more, after the rains that we’ve had some of my buddies have put down some pretty nice deer and I’m hoping that it can continue.

13. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    I want to, but I don't think I'm doing any out of state hunting this year. I don't know if it's just a busy schedule or mental health, but I'm lacking motivation to do anything this year. Even dragging myself to my local spot has been a chore; the thing is, I have no clue why, it's like I've lost a crap ton of energy over the summer. I'm hoping this little cold snap gets me moving, also, I'm not saying that to drag anyone down, it's just been a weird and I know I have not been myself lately. I'm working it out, I think all this time I'm planning to sit in the woods this weekend will get my mind right.

ash d, MIHOYT89 and LittleChief like this.
  14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I kind of understand. I’ve had a tough time getting excited about hunting this season. It’s almost like I’m just old and lazy and don’t want to bother with it.

Maybe it’s just the early season blues. It’s hot, the days are long and if you kill something it’s a hot, sweaty race to get it in a cooler or on ice.

I really think that starting this weekend that is all going to change. Well, at least for me.

If you get motivated and change your mind just let me know. You would be welcome.

S.McArthur likes this.
  15. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking or traveling, there’s a chance that I might be heading to NE Missouri next week Wednesday-Sunday. I haven’t decided yet but it’s a definite possibility. If I do end up going and don’t shoot anything that means there’s going to be at least 1 maybe 2 more short long weekend trips later in the year

16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Mitch, if your spot doesn’t work out and you’re looking for somewhere else to go let me know.

We have some good public land hunting in Mark Twain National Forest here and I’m always up for taking the travel trailer there for a weekend. It’s only about a half hour from where I live.

I don’t do it that often since I’d be colorblind and alone.

17. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe it’s championship hangover for the team. Trying to put a positive spin on it. Another member on the forum started a thread with same feelings some of us are having. I’ve been occasionally going out not near as much as I have in the past. I left work fairly early thinking I was going to get up early and go out this morning. I never heard the alarm clock at least the one in my room but I heard the one at 640 going off in my sons room. There was a time I wouldn’t need to set an alarm during the season. Maybe times are changing. Once someone on the team puts down a slammer that will give us the momentum we need. I’m still a little dejected from the doe I grazed the other week.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  18. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will definitely keep that in mind and not only this year! The only reason that I’m hesitant is because I just purchased a house in late spring and there are things that I need to spend money on over the things that I want to spend money on. But as I said I might not make up my mind until a couple days before the trip.

On another note, the loppy sided buck that I shared with you guys is now off of my list to shoot and I hope all the neighbors can hold off as well. I got a picture of him this morning and he broke off his whole right side just above his brow and it appears his jaw could possibly be broke as well. So if the time comes and he’s looking skinny he might still get a remorse arrow. But right before the picture of him I got a picture of a really pretty 8 that I’d probably shoot if given the chance. Image1634248694.326758.jpg Image1634248703.789023.jpg

19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Is it just me or does the buck in the bottom pic look like he's missing a nose?

Congratulations on the house purchase by the way.

It shouldn't cost much to come here since you should already have a Missouri tag. Still, anytime you think you might want to come down this way for a hunt just give me a few days heads-up and we'll make it happen.

Speaking of which, that goes for anyone on the team. I know Steve was thinking about coming up here for a hunt. Brett has talked about it.

Any of you are welcome here anytime.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  20. farmer rick

Dislikes Received:
    Suppose to have our 1st freeze tonight. Deer were moving good. IMG_1689.JPG IMG_1690.JPG

Oldcarp, Team Haastyle, ash d and 4 others like this.