Arrows: Cheap vs Expensive

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NebMo Hunter, Aug 19, 2021.

1. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    stumbled onto this video why having my morning coffee, breaks down store brand arrows vs high end arrows, some results as expected and some not.

I do have some scheels arrows, but mine which are several years old were made by GT back then.

DH Outdoorsman likes this.
  2. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some Amozon G5 knock offs,love them. That said I bought budget single beveled. Killed the deer within sight,BUT bent the hell out of tip. They are now turkey and ground hog only. Flew great though.

3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Any box store brand arrow is going to be made by another arrow company and have a different label slapped on it. None of them make their own stuff.

When it comes to arrows, 99.9% of people aren't good enough archers to notice the difference from a mid-range arrow to the high-end arrows. Something with a .003 straightness will shoot as good as a .001 for almost all of us. I would always shy away from the cheapest of the cheap arrows as you do run into consistency and durability issues. But, you can certainly save a few dollars by going with a mid-range arrow and you'll be just fine.

4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I read that to fast
    I've always used white tail arrows .not expensive but switched to a more expensive one someone here mentioned. I have to check which one later. I've not noticed a big difference really.

5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive been a huge Goldtip fan since they hit the market waaaaay back (Goldtip only/not knock offs for the box stores) ... I buy shafts /cut/fletch/make up my own .... I get the .003 Velocity XT's and cut from BOTH ends to cut off any runout... when I'm done these are as good as a .001 ... I am OCD about the arrows/BH's and Bow so, I do all the work myself ..

slickbilly-d likes this.
  6. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great Video, Now I'm curious on how the Black Eagles preform. Thanks for sharing.

7. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    100% agree.......I know I have never noticed the difference between the .003 and .001.

8. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I can’t tell the difference between .006 and .003. I don’t shoot over 30 yards, at that distance I can’t tell a difference. Gold Tip Hunter works for me

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Heckler likes this.
  9. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used to buy full length .006 shafts and would cut them from both ends when building my arrows and never had an issue with straightness. Maybe 1 arrow out of 2 or 3 dozen wouldn't spin true with broadheads on

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I buy the shafts with the best tolerances that I can when I am building arrows. Consistency in spine and straightness is worth the few extra bucks and is a time saver down the road. I pretty much always had to nock tune at various times however with today’s quality shafts that’s a thing of the past for me. Everyone focuses on straightness however there is way more too a quality shaft than just straightness… yes you can cut the ends of shafts to eliminate run out, which is pretty much nonexistent in today’s higher end shafts however that doesn’t always equate to spine consistency. The hugest graded shafts will have the excellent spine consistency as well as straightness and weight consistency.
    Another tool in my shed that has pretty much gone by the way side is my RAM tester…I am almost ready to sell it consisting how little use I am giving it the past few years

ACCs, BEA Rampages and Spartans in 001 and 003… Victory Rips elites, Easton Axis match grades … you won’t find a bad shaft in lot

dnoodles, Fix and tynimiller like this.
  11. steelhauler34

steelhauler34 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Agree 100% and would even throw in .006 straightness. Especially for hunters. A spot shooter that has a tournament ruined because they miss one x might notice but most of us aren’t going to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. miamijessejames

miamijessejames Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been using Black Eagle arrows the last few years with excellent results. My personal preference is the Deep Impact .003 straightness. It’s accurate and tough.

My younger son uses the Outlaw and a friend of mine is using the Renegade. Both arrows have a straightness factor of .005 and, after watching them shoot, both seem to perform very well.

Black Eagle Arrows
    60X Custom Strings
    Tooth of the Arrow Broadheads

13. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Love me some Black Eagle Rampages .003

In Venatione Veritas

14. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Easton Axis has never failed me.

quadlee likes this.
  15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fwiw - reasonably good podcast on the topic from mid Sep. Western Contours Mountain Archery Fest with Dan McClain... They talk about how even some inexpensive arrows/shafts can be best used e.g. Squared cuts, which end to trim from, etc...

I've used cheaper arrows for years with little issues. On tolerances most middle of the road (like 003 GT, carbon express, victory) have been pretty good.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    while I don't shoot them anymore, I always had good results and no issues with Victory Vforce.

I later found out that Sportsman's Guide labeled arrows are made by Victory and are exactly the same as Vforce and usually about only$60-70 for a dozen for the .003, only $40-50 for the .006 (price depends on if you are a club member or not.)

Only reason I don't shoot them anymore is I went heavy and they cap out at a 350 spine.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  17. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't worry the new thing next year should be light arrows and you can change back
    In Venatione Veritas

18. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    350 is on the edge of spine for my DL, poundage, and IBO anyway. DOn't think underspined is going to be en voge any time soon.
    Although who know much longer my shoulders can handle 70#...

...wonder if my overdraw is still in my spare parts bin?

Fix likes this.
  19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bahaha good old overdraw
    In Venatione Veritas