Team 9 - Tag & Drag

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Kind of. He closer to a true 9 pt frame, just that one will most likely be a non typical pt. These are the worst deer for scoring, because of the lopsided rack. Plus he won't be scored as a non typical, not enough inches of non typical to be scored that way. So his net score will be really bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This thing has some amazing mass and a great frame. Just doesn't have the point length to give him that high score. It's going to shock you with what his score actually is. Pics make him look big!

3. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have no experience scoring a buck so no clue. 250 just sounds good, lol. I haven't even shot a deer with a bow since 2017 which was a 9 point. I started joining teams in 2018 and haven't shot a deer with bow since. So I am here for morale support, lol. I should just score the 9 point for practice. Nothing big, might just be over 100

Crazy mass for sure, but can see where they score can be off. Either way great buck!

gltomp likes this.
  4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just take it from the shortest part :moose: , great buck man !!

gltomp and Holt like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    All I know man. I went through a time I was shooting decent bucks. Then I join the contest for the first time. I think I didn't shoot a buck for 3 years! Lol. Then when I did, I couldn't find a doe to save my life! Think there is some type of curse! Haha. I also don't post pictures until after I shoot the deer now.

gltomp and Suncrest08 like this.
  6. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do know that which ever point is considered the non-typical point it’ll be added for the gross score. So you’ll be higher than you think probably. Nets are for fishing still an awesome buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes it is! I don't plan on putting him in the books, so gross is good for me!

gltomp likes this.
  8. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    This will be year 4 so hopefully I'm due. Now to just find time to get out and hunt.

9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's the key right there! Any one can shoot lots of deer. Time is the deciding factor. I'm lucky to be able to put so much time in , hence the deer I shoot l. Best advice I can give to you is go straight to your best spot on every hunt. With limited time, got to make the best of it.

gltomp likes this.
  10. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    I agree! I have the privilege of hunting the same private chunk of land for the past several years. Last year I think I finally found a good rut funnel. It's close to the property line so I was not comfortable hunting it until I got permission from the neighbors to track if need be which I now have (I got it last year). Was able to grunt a buck in from this funnel 2 years ago during gun season in nov. which my son was able to shoot. Luckily we had snow on the ground that year otherwise would have not seen him walking through the woods as it is thick even with leaves off.

Had a couple encounters last year in the same area but picked the wrong tree. Missed a scrub buck that was walking the funnel with my bow. Ended up shooting what would have been an 8 point (broke tips off both main beams from fighting) with my gun last year over a scrape not too far from the funnel. I plan on hunting it as much as possible come late Oct early Nov. Don't want to burn my wife out too much with me hunting until then, lol. Would be nice to take out a doe before then for some meat in the freezer. We will see how this year plays out.

11. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So here is my 2nd set of advice, which is something that I do and helps justify my deer hunting. Lol. I got my wife on board with just eating deer over beef. I sold her I idea and she loves all the benefits. But does put pressure on me to fill the freezer. I got 2 does down 2 to go! Plus I got reason to hunt and the wife is on board. Before that it was always a fight when I wanted to hunt all the time. Plus hopefully in the next couple years my daughters will start to join me!

gltomp likes this.
  12. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Great advice and yes my wife is all about eating deer meat. We all prefer it over beef any day of the week. For some reason though she likes to spend time with me, lol. I haven't quite figured out the reason why yet. She is somewhat interested in hunting so I thought about getting her a cross bow but then would have to find someone to watch kids etc. I have 4 kids and my oldest has been hunting since he was 9 and will be turning 15 in Nov. He only hunts during gun season. Need to get him shooting a bow soon but the initial investment can be pricey. Middle 2 kids (Daughter 11 and son 10) both went during the youth season back in sept with a gun. Saw deer on each sit so they are excited about that. Now if I had a big box blind with heat and a/c I could just take the whole family with me each time, lol.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  13. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

14. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I am rough eyeballing and guessing, I am thinking your gross score could fall between 130-140. True score comes out much lower
    My guess is gross lands somewhere between 130-140.
    I haven't been able to sell wife on this yet. But with price of beef climbing, might finally have the opportunity to convince. Just need to process it right and make sure its seasoned so she can't hardly tell the difference...and if there is a difference, hopefully it is for the better.

Holt likes this.
  15. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I worked hard and spent a lot of money trying to find something that my wife liked. Found some deer sticks, Italian sausage, and summer sausage she likes. I end up having to get multiple deer to take to multiple places but it feeds our family. My kids and her love a lot of it now and we live off it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A proper taken cared of deer won't need seasoning. It's all in how it's handled after the shot. Got to get them cooled down and keep it that way until in the freezer. I've had mature 200 lbs rut buck taste like a 60 lbs fawn. All in the prep! With venison over beef. I can't hardly eat beef with out it upsetting my stomach, think it's all the fat in it. The biggest problem is you don't want your wife to have a bad experience with it right off the bat. She will never forget and never eat it again. Do something like Chris said above and try jerky, summer susage, or something that has a mix in it with pork. Help with easing into the taste of venison.

gltomp likes this.
  17. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Holt as he stated above. I processing my own deer, deer is skinned and quartered up same day it is killed. I will keep it in coolers, not in direct contact with ice/water if I can help it. Or it frig if I have room. Wait at least a few days and debone, cut into roasts, steak, grind, can what ever. I have never had an issue with gamey flavor. Only issue is to make sure its cooked right. We have a place around here that I drop off a whole ham (large portion of rear leg) and they smoke it and shave it like lunch meat. It's a little dry, but delicious for sandwiches, chipped meat and gravy etc.

If your family likes beef and noodles try this:

In crock pot add
    2 cans cream of celery soup
    2 cans French onion soup
    Place meat on top- 2 lbs or so of venision roast is what we use
    Slow cook 8-10 hrs
    Shred meat, serve over mashed potatoes or egg noodles. Taste just like beef. Works well with goose breast as well

Holt likes this.
  18. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife hunts as well. She does bowhunt at least a few times every year. And she gun hunts. My daughters show interest in it they are 7 and 5. My 5 year olds loves to go with. My older one will go once in a while but they love shooting there bows we bought them. My father in law has bought 4 box blinds the last few years "for the grandkids " so they are comfortable. So sometimes I have to stay home if the kids don't want to hunt and the wife does. But that's not very often. And she is not a morning hunter so I can always go mornings.

19. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wrapping up my first ever sit...saw couple decent 8 pts ill attempt if i see them over the weekend. Took a "practice" shot at small doe from 12 yds. Went high as top pin is 15 yds and I'm elevated 15 ft...not to mention it ducked to run soon as i released. Wanted to break ice on something i wouldn'tbe mad at missing lol

20. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So how was that rush!

That's something people rarely practice with a shot that close. I always aim low for the heart when they are that close. Then if they duck, it still hits higher in the lungs. Good luck this weekend and have fun! Sounds like your in the deer already.

gltomp and Christopher Jay like this.