Team 14 - DoeThraki

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by sycamoretwitch, Aug 30, 2021.

1. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    These are this year’s on the closest farm. I don’t have any current from the farthest farm. I don’t put cameras out on it, but depend on the land owner. One pick is from last year, but I have seen him on hoof, so he is still on the property. May have some more inches not much.
    IMG_1738.JPG IMG_1737.JPG IMG_1741.JPG IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1739.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I get it Fix. I usually don’t share pic’s due to personal preference. This year I don’t have any to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heckler and Fix like this.
  3. fishsoft92

fishsoft92 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thankfully, the last of the big project rooms is almost done. It’s going to be too warm to hunt much in early October, so I don’t know how much early season I’ll be doing. But at least I’m at somewhat of a breaking point.

Attached Files:

Heckler and foodplot19 like this.
  4. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice!! A man after my own heart!!

5. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That looks great!!

6. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looking good so far fish! That's a really sweet look on that wall.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

7. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I lied about the weather... I'm not sure what I was looking at but 10 day forecast showing mid 70's for a high and mid 50's for a low. That is not ideal. Will probably try and take advantage of those early morning low temps and luckily I've got some solid water sources on my properties - it's been really really dry here in Indiana. I'm going to try and limit my presence by hunting some creek stands and water as much as possible. I can't believe how dry it's been here. I expect 90% crop fields will be out by October 18-22.

Happy likes this.
  8. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    It's looking like the weather is going to make a liar out of me as well. The long range hourly forecast has the wind staying out of the SE until at least midday on Friday. Blowing the idea of hunting where the activity I've been seeing has been. That would send my stink directly into their bedroom. Oh well, that kind of wind should be good for the property I want to shoot doe on. Perhaps I'll do that and if a good buck sneaks by, so be it.

On a different point, this summer, my brother in law told me about an elk hunt he has planned for the tail end of October, but the conversation didn't really go to deep as we got distracted by other family members. I spoke him in much more detail last night about it, I assumed that he was going with some Navy or med school buddies, but it turns out he's doing a guided, solo rifle hunt. Having never known of anybody close to me that's done that, it got me really thinking and of course the those brought me to inquire if he'd want a partner in the future and he said that he thought if never ask, but was pleased I did. Long story short (ish), it might take a couple of years but I'm now starting the planning phase of an elk hunt! I never really thought I'd say that.

9. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:

Nice work!

10. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sent GroupMe invite to all team members that aren't in . I also made Tink a admin so he can approve requests in the event I am MIA. Tink you will just receive a notification in GroupMe when someone joins with an approve button I believe....

foodplot19 likes this.
  11. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    This is really just a personal reflection - everyone has a story like mine or even better with a father, a son, grandfather! Getting this out on “paper” always feels better.

Now I can feel it. October 1st is finally upon us. Hunting has brought me so much more than some wonderful food and a few deer heads on the wall…

Hunting was in my family - but I never had time with all of my own sports to get introduced when I was younger. Here I am pictured with my dad, grandpa, uncle and family friend Bacon. One of my favorite photos that I cherish.

CCF2EE6F-A93D-47B2-82FC-36B1D357CC40.jpeg

The night before Opening Day I always think back to my very first hunt - I was 23 years old. I had made a deal with a girl friend of mine’s husband - I will take you out golfing for the first time if you take me deer hunting. Having already fulfilled my end of the bargain the last weekend of gun season here in Indiana - I sit in a fold out chair on the ground and out walks a beautiful 8 pointer and the rest is history!

CCCA3154-DF2F-4341-A42D-0327638B2B1A.jpeg
    12 years later - that little known friend is one of my best friends, he’s divorced from my then female friend and has remarried. I’ve been in his wedding. He in mine. He’s my neighbor and hunting partner.

My love for Whitetail grows everyday - I now only bow hunt simply because it gives me all the satisfaction that I need.

Life is remarkable - Opening Day of Whitetail season only comes once a year and I’m fired up and thankful for the memories this sport has brought me over the last 12 years. Now time to go make a couple more…

Happy Opening Day!

Trlblzr3, Tink-a-Link, Happy and 5 others like this.
  12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for sharing James. One of earliest memories hunting with my father was bird hunting, specifically pheasants and quail. I remember vividly sitting on the bench seat beside him in "old red" late 70's Chevy driving around between farms. My dad always bought me orange slices candy and he always had a Pepsi with peanuts in it. I wasn't old enough to shoot yet so the guys always sent me down the middle through the thickest cover like a bird dog. It's the little things like this that last a life time. Makes me warm inside to think about those times. He passed away in 2006 and I still miss him dearly. I think about him everyday.

JeffC and sycamoretwitch like this.
  13. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Mine would be the tougne seering hot chocolate that my dad made for the early morning waterfowl hunts in central and western MN when we had an amazing flyway. Goose populations used to be in the 100k+range every year in the mid to late 90s.
    And earlier than that, walking around with my BB gun pheasant hunting with him and my brother!
    Hopefully my girls will enjoy those same experiences, except replacing the little duck boat with a blind in the deer woods.

14. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    That’s what it’s all about!! Sorry for the deep post myself - reflection is pretty typical for me. I feel very thankful for so many things in life. Sorry your pops is no longer with but glad you have those memories! Priceless

Heckler likes this.
  15. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    24 hours from now we will be walking into stand and waiting for daylight. Oh so close. Went over my pack last night and loaded truck with deer cart , flashlights and other things for Saturday. Spending tonight with the family so wanted to make sure everything was ready.

foodplot19 and Heckler like this.
  16. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Let’s start off hot boys!! Next 2 days the points will start stacking up!!! Good luck to all!!! May their racks be large and your arrows fly true!!!

17. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Keep us updated!!! I gota live via your guy's hunts for awhile! :p

foodplot19 likes this.
  18. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bumped a small buck in a clearing going in this morning, besides that nothing

In Venatione Veritas

foodplot19, Happy and Heckler like this.
  19. sycamoretwitch

Dislikes Received:
    No hunting for me this morning. Might try and get out tomorrow morning and evening I’d weather allows for it. Calling for some rain.

20. BuckHunterUnlimited

Dislikes Received:
    Happy likes this.