Team 9 - Tag & Drag

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 30, 2021.

1. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hang in there. It will all come together

Holt likes this.
  2. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    What’s everyone’s hunting setups, hunting grounds area etc? Just curious.

I know Holt likes to hunt in the swamp

I hunt 30 acres of private ground that the land owners house is on so it’s not all huntable. There is an over grown CRP type field around the house that takes up at least 10 acres. Deer use it for bedding. Typically hunt in the woods that has a small “creek” which is actual run off/drainage into a swamp. There is no real food source on the property except a few old wild apple trees and natural browse. I think the previous owner logged all the oaks off the land. Neighbors alfalfa field is to the south. North is more woods and abs west is ag crops that the neighbors have. I have a couple stands set up but last year hunted with my climber and on the ground.

can you tell I’m at the laundromat bored lol.

Holt likes this.
  3. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    At least you're out and enjoying the lifestyle! Keep positive... positive thoughts breed positive results!
    You got this teammate! :thewave:

Holt likes this.
  4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really enjoying my public land adventures the past couple years. I do have a huge chunk of private that I can hunt, but find it with less deer and way more hunters. I've been hunting there for about 12 years and know it pretty well. But have been Looking for new challenges in hunting. Hence the public land and trying to use the long bow. Another I want to get back to is hunting sika deer again. I have never got one and want to change that. They are only a little over 2 hours from me. But right now its a goal to knock down a 140" or bigger buck on public. Its a lofty goal, but possible.

gltomp and archbunk like this.
  5. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sept 25th, don’t have a shooter I’m on yet. Been knocking on a lot of doors this year and not much luck.

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

Holt likes this.
  6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt hardwoods on 3 Amish farms. I know one like the back of my hand, but only hunt there the very last of the season. It's 35 acres... with about 5 being hot. I've taken several deer there. The owner's boys are now of hunting age, so I let them enjoy it.
    The second has large pastures and about 40 acres of woods. I have been successful there annually (with rifle) but only once with archery.
    The third. I'm learning along with the owner. He grew up on the 1st farm and now has a wife and child and 100 acres of land. I missed a 6-pointer there and have seen lots of deer on the property.
    For setups, ground only with natural blinds mostly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Holt likes this.
  7. archbunk

Dislikes Received:

I might try to get one from the ground this year as well. We will see. Drew back on a smaller buck last year on the ground but he got out from behind the tree faster than I thought he would and caught me drawing back. Pretty cool encounter though. He was less than 15 yards away and I was not in a ground blind.

gltomp likes this.
  8. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have 400 acres around the house to hunt. Its about 50/50 wooded and farm land. Some thick areas and pot hole swamps. I have 3 food plots to try and catch a buck before they feed to the big ag fields in the area. Have a bout 30 acres of corn left. About 60 acres of alfalfa and they planted about 80 acres of winter wheat in the corn that they already chopped. We see plenty of deer!

Holt likes this.
  9. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a small lease my dad and I have hunted for 20 years. There’s some good bucks that come through during the rut and the occasional homebody buck. There’s a couple pieces of public that I hunt a lot and have had some good success on. It’s all mostly mixed agricultural and small tracts of hardwood timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holt likes this.
  10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will be out for morning and evening hunts tomorrow. I want to load up on does tomorrow to fill the freezer and I can focus on a buck. So taking the compound and not holding back. I say this and watch I won't see a thing! Lol

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    Checked cams on public and biggest was a basket 8 and tall 6 pt. Might shift focus to opposite side of property. The extra pressure from hunters last year I’m afraid pushed out the bigger bucks.

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

Holt, Christopher Jay and sknox8 like this.
  12. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Current hunting setup is a private 15 acre piece of land that my brother in law and his buddy owns. They do all the grounds work on it...jut setup a super small food plot on it this year. Several feeders on it in various spots.
    There are 2 semi permanent ground blinds, meant for crossbow and rifle, 2 "tree" stands nestled up against couple trees as well as a portable blind that can accommodate my compound a little bit.
    I will mostly be using the portable blind and the 2 tree stands as the more permanent blinds are setup at ranges from the feeders and plot that I am not comfortable shooting yet (45+ yds)
    I will start season out looking for first ever buck, then work on filling freezer. Come late season, will probably shift to hogs as there are some monsters on camera out there right now. Some of the hogs are nearly as tall as the smaller does. Easily tipping the 250 lb. mark, if not 300.

gltomp and Holt like this.
  13. vanfossen

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public near my house, my property of 12 acres, and my grandpas 200 acres 2 hours away when I can(where I have harvested my last 3 mature bucks. Been a lot of swing and misses on knocking on doors this year. Ate my buck tag 2 seasons now, came to full draw on 2 shooters last year that had luck on their side. I have a wife and 4 kids, trying to get the 2 oldest kids into hunting this season, between work, sports, and school lol. Got most of November off this year so planning on redeeming myself. I use a XOP vanish stand and both novix mini sticks and XOP sticks. Really want to switch to the LWCG sticks but they never have them in stock. I shoot mathews all season long even threw gun season.

Christopher Jay and gltomp like this.
  14. spiker44

spiker44 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great news. Prayers everyone stays healthy

gltomp likes this.
  15. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know we have had a couple guys get out in the stands already...
    When does everyone else get their first crack?
    Mine will be in 2 weeks, October 8th - 12th.

Christopher Jay and gltomp like this.
  16. jarin matthews

jarin matthews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Went and checked cameras before are open Saturday and finally my shooter started coming around

Attached Files:

spiker44, sknox8, vanfossen and 3 others like this.
  17. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you get a shot at him!

Rjhart12pt and jarin matthews like this.
  18. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Season starts October 1 here in Michigan. Although with everything going on with the family I may not get out until end of October. Did have a trip planned next week that we had to cancel, so might be able to sneak out for at least 1 sit opening weekend

19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looking forward for your guys seasons to start!

Sorry I've been MIA. I had a really bad week of hunting. I'm not really ready to share the story yet, it just didn't end well for me. I plan to stop hunting for the week and get back to it maybe next week.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Christopher Jay likes this.
  20. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    October 1 start. Hopefully get out that evening. Opening weekend my dad and I hunt our little lease. Hoping the team can break the ice!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holt likes this.