Questionable shot

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Nategreat363, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Nategreat363

Nategreat363 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Right basically the locking mechanism on my mechanical didn’t work properly. This caused one of the blades to come into context with the side of my crossbow when I shot. As you could assume this did not go straight. The buck I was shooting at was the biggest buck I’ve seen in my entire life. Went to recover arrow expecting a poor shot. No blood on arrow or any sign of blood trail within 30 yards of the point of impact. The only sign that I hit was hair stuck is the dirt which compacted it to the blades of the broad head. Did I just graze him? The arrow was completely clean other wise. Will he back? I concluded he probably got more hurt running through the ultra thick bottoms. After all never found any blood but I couldn’t track very far as there was no blood. Basically my question is did I graze him and will he be back.

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Really hard to say if he'll come back or avoid the area, depends on how much it spooked him.
    From the bolt description I'd say you missed and only hit hair. Probably didn't even scratch his skin.
    IF all he heard was the crossbow going off and the thud of the bolt, then I wouldn't think that'd make him completely abandon the area. But he may avoid that exact spot for quite a while. I'd definitely move your stand or blind to a bit different spot, he'll be on high alert or avoid that spot completely for a while. I don't think he'll move clear out of the entire area though as long as you didn't disturb the area badly while looking for blood.

head2toe camo likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Always good to learn your deer hair. Color and texture will very on the body. There are good charts I believe you could "Google"

4. Nategreat363

Nategreat363 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Haven’t gotten a single picture on trail cams of em since the 19th when this happened.