Who here gets the virus first?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Mar 12, 2020.

1. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The one thing missing from your rant is that it took a 98% vaccine rate to get to where we are today.

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    From the morning news in Milwaukee Wisconsin is at best 52%

3. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-h...ail&utm_term=0_c64a28dd5a-4bf28de0ba-82580804

Best paragraph

4. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't understand medicine and medical law all that well, but it seems to me if someone is sick (dying) and asking for a drug like Ivermectin, they should be able to get it. Make them sign off on some waivers or something that won't hold the doctor or hospital liable for adverse effects, and let it rip. If it works, great. If not, you gave them what they wanted and at least you tried. What's the alternative? Just simply letting them die?

Outside of that, I think that article was great and feel bad for the medical professionals that have to deal with some of these people. The world has gone crazy. (and I still blame social media for all of it)

6. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The bridge has been a good news source for Michigan, please feel free to donate

7. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    We were all exposed to a positive case a week ago. My son became symptomatic a day or two later. He had to be tested and removed from school for 3 days until his test results came back negative thankfully. The woman is not vaccinated and is going on 10 days of being stuck in bed in pretty bad shape. The husband is vaccinated and tested positive with a sore throat for one day. Then again, she's in no way close to having to be hospitalized. My wife and I haven't shown symptoms so we haven't been tested.

8. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

And that 98% was with a REAL vaccine. You know, designed to prevent anyone from getting measles.

Would chat more but gramps is baby sitting the grandson who just woke from his nap. Time to go.

cantexian and Sota like this.
  9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To the underlined, they do have the right and ability to do it. They just have to find a healthcare professional willing to provde the treatment.

To the bolded part, that is exactly what Elmhurst Hospital was willing to do. Not only did the entire network refuse to treat her with (I think it was HydroxyChloroquin) after she signed releases; they also refused to allow an outside doctor into the facility in order to treat her. The patient (and her family) had to SUE the hospital for that. Thank God for a rational DuPage County judge...

She immediately improved and is home recuperating now, although she will have diminished lung capacity for the rest of her life....thanks to permanent damage caused by those a*holes' refusal to abide by her personal request.

10. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    here's another hospital in IL that was happy to let this lady die rather than administer Ivermectin:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/0...tal-denied-her-ivermectin-for-covid-has-died/

Oxford is currently conducting a large-scale controlled study on the efficacy of Ivermectin; it's a completely safe and effective drug prescribed to millions of people every year, but these effing Nazis (don't use that term lightly) are happy to let her die just to prove a point rather than be proven wrong.

The goddamn NIH even says it's been effective and safe in limited studies.

11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
  12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Trump vs Biden

We'd be in the same place we are today concerning vaccination and hesitancy regardless. Difference would be who the "holdouts" are being blamed on.

Would still have the same amount of people questioning the side effects and other concerns but the handling of such would be different.

Won't even say Trump wouldn't have pushed for mandates in some fashion, but I think the country would be in a different position as a whole, for the better. Trump wouldn't have caved to new shutdowns and mask mandates.

13. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I don't agree with that. I think the vast majority of progs would be 1000% anti shots, and the people like me, who in spite of being an unapologetic Trump supporter would still be holding out.

I have made the decision that my risk of serious complications is very low. I don't need the shots. That's my decision regardless of who is in the White House.

Progs, on the other hand, hate Orange Man so much that were he still in the WH; there's no damn way they would be lining up like the sheep they are to get juiced up.

Hotrod9 and cantexian like this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    mmm...I'm not saying it's not an interesting feature article, but it's not exactly fact-driven hard news.

Ok, so the number of nurses is precipitously falling. But why?
    Burnout...sure. Fear of the virus itself? Likely. Anti-mandates also.

But the article goes on to cite anecdotes as well...a guy would rather pursue his dream of running a BBQ restaurant. Ooookay. I'd rather make the same money I do now by washing Ana de Arma's panties (truth be told, I'd do it for minimum wage.) Does that make me a martyr? Hell no, and him either. Who the F cares?

Also, this anecdote, if accurately quoted, shows the complete and utter ignorance of the nurse:

"Like many health workers, Tresidder hoped the pandemic was fading earlier this summer. But as the delta variant spread, she said she now fights growing anger over patients who refused a vaccine.

“We had a woman and a man next door to each in the unit, both very, very sick. Her husband died, and she still will not get the vaccine.

“I have this internal battle. I take care of anyone, regardless of the situation. But part of me is like, ‘How dare you? I’m so angry at you.’ You want to shake these people and say, ‘Wake up,’ but you can’t do that. It’s frowned upon.”
    Uhhhh.... why would she need the shots if she is already sick? It is not a treatment- even the most rabid pro-shotzkyite TV doctor wouldn't claim that. If she's recovered and still won't get the shot (how would the nurse know this???) it still wouldn't matter as natural immunity is clearly more effective than the shots.

Supply and Demand...

There seem to be a lot of transient nurses traveling around, working on contract. Why would they do this rather than work in a stable environment from a centralized area or single facility? Obviously, it's the MONEY. It's incentivized. Their role is in DEMAND.

Another topic that's completely absent from this article - SUPPLY. What are the numbers of nursing grads? Are they higher or lower than 3 years ago? 5? 10? 15?

If I had to guess, they're much, much lower. Why? Because a nursing degree is freaking hard, and people are turning into effing morons right in front of our eyes. The average college grad can barely wipe their own ass, much less stick their fingers in someone elses' (for medical purposes; of course. They're quite adept and apt to do it for other reasons.)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    GregH likes this.
  15. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My mom is a RN and the night supervisor where she works they've been short staffed this whole time. Main reason being, ppl can make just as much or more sitting at home with all the extra being given out. Have several friends that work at local hospitals, 3 all owned by same ppl, which have now over the past month been firing ppl that haven't been vaxxed.

As far as the nurses comments about the patient not getting the shot, just sounds like a ****ty nurse. Makes ya wonder if she makes same comments about overwight ppl that come in with the number of health problems that causes or cancer patients that smoke.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ash d, Hotrod9, Sota and 2 others like this.
  16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I should have stated but just the opposite. We'd have the same amount unvaccinated but the reason would be as you stated.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I believe she's speaking in a more general term that the wife remains anti-vaccine in spite of her husband dying and her being extremely sick. Not in the literal sense that she believes the woman should get vaccinated while she's ill.

This is 100% spot on. I have a very good friend who owns a medical staffing organization. The demand for traveling nurses is through the roof and they are being paid VERY well right now. He's told me on multiple occasions if he had 100 nurses walk into his office today, he could have them in positions tomorrow.

The idea that nurses are sitting home collecting unemployment b/c they can "make more money" is a complete fallacy. Many traveling nurse positions are paying 3-4K a week.

[​IMG]

cantexian likes this.
  18. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The hospital where I work, is currently paying more to PRN nurses than full time nurses on an hourly basis in addition to up to $3000 in sign-on bonuses. We literally are having high turn over because full-time staffed nurses are quitting to be rehired under the PRN program for the additional financial incentives. They can make more in a week that way than they can in a month on the regular staff.

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Screenshot_20210917-083059.jpeg

In Venatione Veritas

GregH, ash d, cantexian and 1 other person like this.