Team 16 - Silent Slayers

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by cls74, Aug 29, 2021.

1. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What’s your take on the dk4and how they shoot. I almost bought a pack of muzzy hybrids the other day but I have enough broadheads to tinker with.

2. Jensen

Jensen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've jumped on the high FOC bandwagon after losing a couple good bucks from shoulder shots. I'll admit that the shoulder shots are my bad from not practicing enough but I also want to have room for error. This year I'm trying out single bevel kudu broadheafs and I'm interested to see how they do. Prior to trying these out I've really like the magnus stinger broadheads. As far as purchases go, I've cycled through a lot of bows over the past few years- elite hunter, pse evolve 31 which inreally enjoyed, then got a mathews creed and now have a creed xs. I like my xs but think I'll upgrade again soon. I'd like to find a deal on a bowtech realm ss, that's been the best bow I've shot so far. Regarding clothing, I just got some good morning wool gear that I really like and did wonders during turkey season.

camo75 likes this.
  3. Adamant2010

Adamant2010 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have yet to kill anything with them but, they have the same point of impact as my field points do. They main blade is on a pivot so if it hits bone and doesnt go through it it will tuck in and kick out the blade on the other side. It also has 2 bleeders that deploy on impact. I need to see how they do on a deer to give you a full, honest review...hold please! lol

camo75 likes this.
  4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to anyone getting out this weekend! Let's start seeing some points put up.

camo75 and Adamant2010 like this.
  5. pick00l

pick00l Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s always fun to see what equipment everyone is using.
    - What broadhead are you using - Compound: Will shoot Sevr 1.5 and 2.0 and maybe one slick trick this year. Xbow, bold cutters.
    -What is your favorite most comfortable tree stand: I have about 7 LW and XOP stands....guess that says it all there.
    -What have you bought that was well worth it in the last 5 years. Deer cart...I hunt 1.5-2 miles back so it's helpful.

camo75 likes this.
  6. bowhuntingbebout

bowhuntingbebout Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I was exhausted last night when I came home from hunting. Forgot my longbow in the backseat until I got home at 2pm today. It was a sad moment when I opened the door.

20210914_142351[1].jpg

I can have another one here by Friday, so I'm probably going to be out of the woods until then. I've got a recurve that I can use, but it would take as long to get back to shooting it good. I did finally get a decent buck on camera. EHD has hit one of my spots that had multiple mature bucks. This guy was on another piece of public about 45 mins away.

buck.jpg

cantexian likes this.
  7. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One of my target bucks in Oklahoma. I've got a couple nice 8pts in Arkansas that I'll have a hard time passing up. MUD_0037.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck!

Bummer on the limb! How'd that happen?

9. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
  10. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    That's one of the few nice bucks I've ever seen at this piece of public. Low deer density in the GA mountains.

GA heat while sealed in my truck all day while strung. Dummy move on my part. I've got another on the way already.

11. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Seen it was uodated after you posted it, was this Editor's Note on there when you posted it?

EDITOR’S NOTE: When the photos of this deer were first sent to us by the hunter, Derek Settle, our immediate gut check was: This is a high-fence deer. Before we interviewed Settle, we confirmed with Kentucky Fish and Wildlife that the buck had been checked in as being killed and tagged in Kentucky on telecheck. (High fence deer in Kentucky do not have to be checked in.) After our interview with Settle, we were confident that his story was true. However, after now reading Facebook comments and seeing photos of his deer that were posted on the page of an Indiana deer preserve, one thing is clear: Someone is not telling the truth. We are investigating this story and will update you as we learn more.

rbhunting1 likes this.
  12. rbhunting1

Dislikes Received:
    I saw that. He should have known he would get caught in the lie!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

13. camo75

Dislikes Received:
  14. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The things antlers and a bit of fame will make you do....

Damn shame

15. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    • “When I saw him on the ground, I’ve never really acted like that in my adult life,” says Settle.

• Yep. It’s sad to think of the stories these guys make up of how they hunted hard for the pet deer.

16. OkieArrowSlinger

OkieArrowSlinger Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No way that’s not a high fenced deer! The more I read that story the more it reeks of fraud…

17. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    I'm already sick of seeing and hearing about it. It's all over social media and the high school drama that follows...

Adamant2010 likes this.
  18. Adamant2010

Dislikes Received:

19. bowhuntingbebout

Dislikes Received:
    The new one arrived just less than an hour ago. Put my string and quiver on it. It's like nothing ever happened and this was from 25yds. Tomorrow morning is going to be nice!

20210917_190532[1].jpg

On another note, I did go scouting with my recurve in hand yesterday at my buddy's place. I hunt there once or twice a season. He asked me if I wanted to come over and scout yesterday, so I jumped at the chance. There are usually a couple nice bucks killed from here every year. Found some fresh rubs working through a swamp that is sandwiched between a couple of 7 year old cutovers. I hung a camera in a funnel that had multiple trails converging into it. I'm hoping to go in there next week for a sit.

20210916_181805[1].jpg

Adamant2010 and cantexian like this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    2 weeks til opening day. Weather will be a factor on whether I go out or not.

I also need to figure out if the 2 processors in town are taking deer this year. One I nirnally use didn't last year and they have not made an announcement either way this year.