Team 14 - DoeThraki

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by sycamoretwitch, Aug 30, 2021.

1. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Agree here with Fix again. Be moderate. ROFL! This was cheap and helps with learning tuning. Don’t get into the pit of all the other rabbit trails. I can build my own arrows, insert tune, bareshaft tune, nock tune and fletch tune, all with that minimum investment tool right there.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

foodplot19, Fix and Happy like this.
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You don't wanna hear from me. I'm that guy that will argue to my last breath that camo only matters if it's quiet and keeps you warm. Monsters were getting killed long before sitka. But staying warm in NY in December is no joke
    In Venatione Veritas

foodplot19 likes this.
  3. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not nearly concerned about the camo pattern, just the warmth and quiet factor. But I'll count you in the 'against sitka' column.
    For warmth, I'm usually using 4-5 heat packs in various places, a heated vest (which I can't believe I didn't invest in before last year) and layers. It's equally difficult to stay warm in central Minnesota!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Fix likes this.
  4. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is fun. Before we get into "camo" my purchase is better than your purchase good grief...

I only have a few more fishing days left this year - hell this is probably close to it. So headed out to a power plant lake around these parts and caught a couple. The ledge summer bite is all but done... Had to go beat the bank to catch a couple. Beer was cold though!!

As for camo - boy. I still own a lot of different pieces from UA to RT to MO. If you want to drop the money for Sitka (great), in my opinion it's well worth the investment - but everyone has a different opinion on that sort of thing and that is okay! Camo pattern? Meh. I like the Sitka pattern I think it's worked well for me - but I'm not sure it's that big of a difference. Sitka does the little things with design that make a big difference - if you've worn Sitka at all you know what those little things are. If you don't - sure you can still kill big deer and that is great. But no reason to be a hater - buy the bow you wanna shoot - buy the gear you wanna wear - buy the trail cameras you wanna run - but the boradheads you want to kill with. None of us win this debate - Do you! It's okay.

As far as warmth and quite is concerned if you are just looking for a comparison - it's not close. Sitka covers both. Most people just don't want to pay the premium for it and I get it.

foodplot19 likes this.
  5. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of rabbit holes. In West Central Illinois I choose patterns that match my habitat. I also choose multiple patterns and wear multiple patterns to break up my outline. I am in timber and Ag country. I hunt field edges, some understory timber sets and underbrush that stays green most of the winter. I like Mossy Oak Bottom Land and a Realtree mix. Pants one and shirt or jacket another, visa versa. They work both in the tree or ground. Try to pick trees and backgrounds wider than me. I wear as much black as possible in a blind to match the background. I do wear a lot of Scentlok, but more for the baselayers. Their heavyweight baselayers are the best I have tried and allow me to wear all my early season gear through fall weather 40’s to high 30’s and my Mid-Season gear through most of the late season. Keeps my mobility and range of motion with no bulk. Low 20’s and teens is pushing it and the big parka comes out or something that is wind-resistant. But that baselayer pant keeps my lower half warm with Mid-Season pants. You could do all this with Sitka, Cabelas, etc. I like the quality of Scentlok’s baselayers, the patterns work really well for my setup and I got major discounts at the end of season sales and free shipping buying bulk. No gloves until late season 20’s. I use a muff to keep bare hands warm and same when I wear Mid-Season non bulky gloves that late stretch.

You find yours and don’t be afraid of combos of companies, just get the patterns right for your sits.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m dUte from what I hear the Sitka gear is nice but I find it real tough to justify spending the money on it. If I had bills falling out my ARS I would probably give it a try. I generally try not to hunt with a bow in super cold temps. I put most of my efforts into filling my tags early so as to not freeze. I also use a muff with strategically placed hand warmers.
    When I do go out and hunt in frigid temps it’s usually with the flintlock and I just pile on the layers. These hunts are usually with a large group of guys where we just drive the deer around so usually the sitting time is limited so you don’t really have a chance to get cold. One drive your a stander the next your a driver in which case you walk which keeps you warm and have to start shedding layers.

sycamoretwitch likes this.
  7. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m the exact same way. I do all the work.

Fix likes this.
  8. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    Sitka. It’s all I wear now. Was able to cut back on the amount/bulk of clothing to stay warm. I can add more info once I’m at work.

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How soon is everyone hunting?

In Venatione Veritas

foodplot19 likes this.
  10. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Season starts in just under 72 hours! I'm working until just after noon on Saturday then I'll be taking off to find a spot to hang and hunt.

11. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    October 2nd here in Virginia. As far as clothing I am lucky it doesn’t usually get that cold here in VA until hunting season has gone out. I do have quite a bit of Scentlok and find it very comfortable and it keeps me warm.

12. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Season started 2 days ago. Guess I better go buy some tags. :p lol!

13. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    October 2nd

14. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    As soon as it cools off a little and I get stands hung. lol

15. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I really like the Predator camo for an all-around. I still wear the green version when turkey hunting.
    I've worn about every brand of camo there is and I've ended with Sitka. If I didn't have a discount I probably wouldn't be able to do it either. I guess it's like my bino's. I spent money on a top-notch pair and have had great luck with them. I don't even remember what year I bought them but it was a one and done purchase.
    I personally don't care what anyone wears, shoots, eats, kills or sleeps. We're all individuals with different likes and dislikes, lifestyles and priorities. I wear Sitka cause it fits me really well and does what I want it too without 6-7 layers and the additional bulk of others that I've worn. I'm not had on clothing either so it lasts me a very long time.
    Let's have fun and win this dang thing!! This is a great group of folks!

sycamoretwitch and Happy like this.
  16. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently I brought up a touchy subject. That was certainly not my intent and I didn't know there would be such strong feelings. I've got the info that I wanted so we can move away from this topic and get back to our regularly scheduled nonsensical hunting conversation.

Happy likes this.
  17. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    If I came across that way, it wasn't intended to. I didn't feel like it was sensitive at all. It's like people, there are millions of options and opinions, none being "wrong" just different. I've never been one to buy "stuff" just to buy it. I usually do research and save up for something that I want/like. It's all good Tink.

18. Tink-a-Link

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! That's the problem with written communication. I'd agree with your sentiment. My dad drilled into very early on that if you buy ****, you get ****. Spend the money and you'll get what you pay for.

foodplot19 and sycamoretwitch like this.
  19. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My season here in Indiana opens on October 1. So long as the weather looks good on that day I will be in a tree stand. If it's 80 degrees like it has been lately - I will not be in a tree stand.

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thinking about going to pull cards and sit a observation tomorrow morning. Not even going to bring my bow. Just my binos and a video cam.

In Venatione Veritas

foodplot19 and Happy like this.