Hip waders?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bowhunt4abuck, Sep 9, 2021.

1. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have never owned a pair of waders and have only worn them on a couple of occasions. There is a stand set up I made this year that would be best approached from a creek and I was thinking about buying some hip waders. Is there a certain brand or material that anyone would recommend? I assume they would be warm but would they be quiet enough for treestand Archery hunting? I'd like to keep them on, but would I be better off just taking them off? Should I just go full blown chest waders instead? Opinions greatly appreciated.

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I own a set of LaCrosse hip waders for that same reason. They are hot as hell to walk in so I usually don't put them on until I'm ready to cross the creek. I carry them in, put them on, cross, then take them off and leave them next to the creek. No way I could do a full hunt in a treestand in waders.

JeffC, cantexian and bowhunt4abuck like this.
  3. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How far do you have to walk in them to get to your stand?

I'm with Justin. They can be hot.

If you have a long walk in and a short wade in the water, I would go with the PCV style. They are usually lighter than neoprene. The down side is that brambles, thorns and such are rougher on thin waders than thicker (insulated).

One thing to remember is that wader boots are usually worn a bit larger to promote ease of kicking them off if you should fall in the water. And they are not really made for any kind of walking. Finding a pair with a boot that fits tighter might mean the wader is a bit tight.

I don't have hip waders so I can't say for sure that the above pertains to them as well.

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I almost forgot - I picked up a set of Wiggys Waders a few years ago for our Kansas trip. Lots of knee-high creeks we needed to cross and I wasn't about to pack my regular hip waders in with me. They're basically a lightweight waterproof sleeve that you fit over your existing boots and pants. For short crossings, they work great and don't take up much room in your pack.

https://www.wiggys.com/clothing-outerwear/lightweight-waders/

virginiashadow and bowhunt4abuck like this.
  5. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive though of using waders(rubber/canvas or neoprene) before to cross a few ditches that regular rubber/neoprene boots are short for ... ... but, I'm always worry about ripping them, briars, unseen sharp sticks, barbed wire, etc. .. plus as said, they dont breath, even the gortex ones are sweaty, hard to go far in... they are good for trapping for sure ... those 'wiggy's' seem to be a good idea as long as they are strong and dont rip or get holes in 'em (hmm, wonder how much shipping is) ..

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've worn my Wiggys maybe half a dozen times and so far they've held up fine. Although I'm usually only crossing creeks that are anywhere from 15-30 feet wide. Nothing too crazy. The material is pretty tough so I don't think it will easily rip on you. Barbed wire may do it, but regular sticks and briars shouldn't be an issue.

One thing I would do with the Wiggys is to have a spare towel or something on hand to wipe them down after you cross. Putting them away when they're all wet and muddy is kind of annoying.

7. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    how easy do they fit over boots ? .. size 11's and 12's .. Neoprene Lacrosses and heavier winter pack boots

8. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    They're very easy to put on and take off. It's almost like putting a garbage bag over your leg, but it's much heavier duty material and shaped like an actual leg with a foot. Once you get them on there is a strap to connect to your belt to hold them up.

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yea, thats just like a regular hip boot belt strap . thanks .. I'll be looking into 'em ..

10. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I'd say I would be walking at least a quarter mile in this little creek with steep banks and popping out hopefully within 100 yards from my stand. I think its the only way to get by them without them knowing.
    It's gona be a pain to get out of I think too so I pry need some with boot bottoms attached to them. So pry the thick ones with boots a little big. Thanks guys.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  11. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I have read a lot about the wiggys, guys backpack hunting out west, alaska etc. It seems guys are generally pretty happy with them.

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If Wiggy Waders don't seem like a good fit, consider picking up waders for flyfishing rather than duck hunting. Fishing waders are often more light weight and breathable since they are worn during summer months.

bowhunt4abuck and Suncrest08 like this.
  13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that, I may have to pick some up. I have been looking for something like that for a couple spots where accessed could be improved if I had easy to use waders.

14. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im in the minority here. As long as its cool temps i wear full neoprene chest waders (my duck hunting ones). Im so used to them they dont bother me. They are not as comfortable as bibs, but tolerable. The creek you describe is exactly like the one i wear them in. It makes for a very silent walk.

*Whatever you decide to do be sure to use a walking stick. Anything will work. Piece of pvc conduit something that you can feel sink holes and logs and other objects that are submerged. The last thing you want to do is fill your waders up and give your bow and backpack a bath

bowhunt4abuck likes this.
  15. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the reply man. I'm headed to field and stream this weekend to look at selections

16. slecken

slecken Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do a search for Chota Hippies. You can wear these on the walk in and then roll them down for your sit in the stand. They make a Tundra version that is more heavy duty for walking through the brush.

17. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another thought... Unless you have moccasins, leaches, sewage or other yuck in the water, or it's very cold. Strip down to skivies and Crocs...

A chamois to wipe down and suit up.

18. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Turns out shocker talked me into the full set of duck waders apparently. While I was looking at the selection this was the only set of waders or hip waders I liked so I just went all out. Might have to try to kill some ducks now. For some reason I can't upload pics but it's a drake set of duck waders.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021