NY hunters

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by dnoodles, Sep 8, 2021.

1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ash d and dnoodles like this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    hah, there is Fake News, and I guess I am Old News.

Well, good for you guys and gals. That would suck. Can't tell you how many deer I have killed right after sundown but it's a lot. My buck last year was about 5 minutes before the sun cracked the horizon. To watch him walk off would have been...frustrating.

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It sucked. But it passed with a bunch of other laws that suck more. So in classic NY fashion it's a wash of Idiocracy

5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    NY a has a set of terrible regulations that’s holds deer hunting back immensely. West if I81 NY could be as good as any state for deer hunting if the regulations and seasons were correct.
    The only thing worse then NYDEC seasons and regulations are NYS hunters, we have some of the most a$$ backwards deer hunters you will find anywhere

TheHardWoods913 and gltomp like this.
  6. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The worst decision ever made in NY (well, one of them anyway) was taking away the ability of the DEC to manage regulations and changes and putting anything associated with that into the annual budget for the state senators and assemblymen/women to vote upon (and therefore... creating an opportunity for lobbyists and $$$ to influence that voting).

STUPID. The NY Crossbow Coalition has been trying to change that (along with the terrible regulations that's been holding back deer hunting immensely as you so correctly stated) but each year has fallen short in achieving that goal.

The regulation that really hurts me and hundreds of other elderly hunters is X-bow restrictions! I enjoyed hunting during archery season. I could go in the woods on a crisp autumn morning, enjoy the warmth of the afternoon sun, and return home evenings enjoying a wonderful day in God's great creation. If I saw a deer... that was nice, if I got a shot at one... that was even better, if I harvested one... well, that was a bonus. I now hunt with an X-bow verses a traditional or compound due to health reasons. But... X-bow hunters in NYS are not considered true 'archery' hunters, so we are punished for using our equipment. The archery season is over 6-weeks long, but X-bow hunters are limited to the last 2 weeks of that season. We may hunt with them during the regular gun and muzzle-loader seasons however if we so choose. And, X-bows cannot be hunted with in NYS unless they are 17" or more in width.

Just imagine what a few regulation changes and common sense approaches could do for our state.

TheHardWoods913 and dnoodles like this.
  7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Believe me from the shots heard in gun season before and after...up to an hour during gun season...it was,only an issue for those worried about getting caught and legal hunters. During bow season...huh..I caught a guy drawing down on a buck from his tree perch with a full moon behind him. Please..

8. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Crossbows during the archery season for the elderly and disable was poo pooed on by the cross bow lobby and NRA. Both of which has a financial interest in seeing them in the archery season.
    Maybe some self introspection is in order.

The archery industry woke up to the mistake they made with crossbows and now there is no going back.

The idea that adding weapons with vastly increased efficacy to the archery season is always going to be sustainable is a flawed one.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  9. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hhmmmmmm...
    Gun doe only opens here on Sat. For 9 days. You can not use a,cross bow..I called DEC because they state in regulations the crossbow is being looked at like a muzzle loader. Not for this, apparently.
    Now something to think about. Camps that are made up of out of state guys. Ones that never show up until bow opener have filled up already,to use their one maybe two doe tags. Using vacation time and spending big time on gas. Before having to o return for Oct1 bow opener.
    Wonder how many of the several buck pics I will see after this "doe only season."

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I spoke with the DEC official for my area and he says Bow is allowed.
    In Venatione Veritas

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I called region 8 in Avon and spoke to an officer there. Today I will call Albany. Had same issue over another weapon carry issue some years ago. It took 11 days for them to figure out an answer and get back to me. I saved the Written answer I asked for because field officers all had different answers
    Westchester county believe is bow only.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys...So always follow up because your local officers may not know the law after all.
    Albany did not call me back so I called a different Albany # and got a great person on line. She told me how to click around the web site to get answers off Google. She found the DEC directors recent news release and she then sent me BOTH clarifying articles. Then said print and carry them with you. Crossbows are legal and vertical bows are legal. Hubby got a doe permit for here so I may consider going out because he signs them over to me.
    So all you guys in these early season areas, going out in the morning....GOOD LUCK!

Thanks Fix , and sorry for misinformation. I should just expect that from region 8....

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    Fix likes this.
  13. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BEST of Luck to all you NY Bow Hunters going out tomorrow! :bow:
    I have to wait until Nov 6th for Xbow... ugh

TheHardWoods913 likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks to you as well, stay safe and have fun.