What Xbow and gear are you using.

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by LIVIT, Oct 2, 2020.

1. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Noticed that there is not too many new Xbow threads. Time to change that.

What Crossbow are you shooting. What changes have you made and were they beneficial or just a waste of money.

What scope, bolts, broadheads and any other xbow related gear.

I have been into Archery since 1968, have been a bow/gun pro since the latter 70's. Due to injuries from Military, I had to go too a Xbow 5 yrs ago. I love mine !

I have Center Point/CP (Crossman) Sniper 370. Only paid $240 for it. Included scope and bolts were not up to my standards. Put a Nikon XR Bolt Xbow scope on mine and love it. Easton 22" Bloodline bolts, shoot perfect for me. 100gr Rage BH's, love them. I did upgrade my string and added limb saver silencers. The new string upped my FPS from 356 to 368. The limb savers made a big difference too. The Sniper is designed on an AR style frame with an adjustable stock. So I added a Magpul adjustable cheek rest stock. All total, I still have less than $500 invested. I have shot numerous deer and pigs. A couple of Yotes out too 75yds. It's extremely accurate out too 75yds, only shoot one bolt at each dot, dont wanna robin hood them. I'm sure I can shoot further, but used last scope dot for 75yds. Mine shoots deer kill zone +- 3" from 0-4o yds on first xhair.

PANJHunter likes this.
  2. PANJHunter

PANJHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Horton Havoc 150 with the stock scope. Shooting 20" Easton bolts with 100g Muzzy fixed blade broadheads. My kill zone is within 25 yards, not that I dont feel comfortable shooting up to 40 but I'd rather increase my chances of a clean hit and kill. The last thing I want to do is injure or gut shot my target.

LIVIT likes this.
  3. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I limit my range in woods for deer/pigs too 40 yds and 50 yds in field. My xbow might be fast and accurate, but not fast enough that a deer cannot duck the arrow etc...I hear ya do not like cleaning a gut shot animal and for sure don't want to just injure one. I'm also not into tracking an injured pissed off hog !

4. SRS90

SRS90 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Theyre all good, but the brand that will simply outlast everything else is excalibur. I shoot a matrix 380.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

5. afishhunter

afishhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    TenPoint Titan SS.
    Added a TenPoint string stop, and a pair of Limb Saver split limb stabilizers/silencers. Other than that s/he is stock.

LIVIT likes this.
  6. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was fortunate to setup and shoot several TenPoints at pro shop, before I retired. I liked them myself.

Whenever one of my Customers would ask "What Xbow should I buy" I would tell them to select the one that felt the best within their budget and we can set it up right from there. There was only one manufacturer that I would try and steer customers away from. Won't state name, don't want to start a big argument !

7. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wicked ridge warrior XL. It's been dead on with all factory issues since day one. I actually just took it in with my 243 so the Smith could mount my 243 scope to match how the crossbow fits me. The only scope mounted weapon that fits me like a good leather glove. Taken several critters with it over the years.

LIVIT likes this.
  8. LIVIT

LIVIT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Exactly, if it fits, that's the number 1 important thing IMHO. My neighbor and I have been on a Coyote killing spree the past several weeks. He owns a bow shop, so we both enjoy trying to see how far out we can knock down them yotes with our Xbows, my furthest so far is right around 72 yds and that rage ripped em open good too.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went to a bow shoot with my Sub-1 a couple weeks ago. They had a full size elk target for a bonus shot. 106 yards. I got the 8 ring. No sticks, rest, or anything, just plain freehand shooting. I like this thing A LOT!!!

10. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got a Center point Amped 415 last fall, , very accurate and fast a all get out

11. dmax4me

dmax4me Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Stryker Katana 385 and use Rage 125 Xtreme broadheads. Stryker makes some of the lightest and lowest pull to cock Xbows on the market.

12. rentspel

rentspel Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use a Matrix G340 and I am very happy with it! I think it's easy to handle and the weight is just right. :):bhod::bow::chewy::hail:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  13. C Ethridge

C Ethridge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Killer Instinct 350 with the standard scope they supply with the KI bolts. Shooting Rage Hyperdermics. This set up is awesome ! Love it .

14. OhioXbowhunter

OhioXbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ravin r20 vortex crossfire scope

Heckler and C Ethridge like this.
  15. Champlain Islander

Champlain Islander Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Ten Point Viper S 400. Nice crossbow and the cocking/ decocking is an added bonus.

16. PANJHunter

PANJHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Picked up a Ten Point Turbo M1 over the summer. I'm also trying a saddle out this year. Early season started here 9 days ago but it's too warm. I might go out later this week when the overnight temps dip down into the mid-upper 40s.

17. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck ! I’m still a few weeks out for our bow hunt in Missouri. We picked up another 40 acres so looking forward to it if we can keep the poachers at bay.

18. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    The decocking ability is something I’m starting to see an advantage of. Just replaced my string on my Killer Instinct 350 and was thinking about how many times I had shot it over the years just to unload it.

19. C Ethridge

Dislikes Received:
    Update ! Switched over to NAP XXX. broadheads. So far so good

20. hillbillydale77

hillbillydale77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have a KI Lethal 405 and I love it I’m in a group on Facebook the people on there are trying to get me to go to a heavier bolts and broad heads and I won’t do it because in my opinion for one if KI wanted to build a slow crossbow they would have built a slow crossbow but they didn’t they built a fast crossbow and that’s what it is intended to be it’s not intended to be a slow crossbow and people in the group doesn’t understand that they say I’m screwing up shooting them light bolts and I don’t think so as long as you keep them waxed and lubed you won’t have any problems out of it they don’t understand that either

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

HuntingWesternMass1 likes this.