Team 14 - DoeThraki

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by sycamoretwitch, Aug 30, 2021.

1. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    TEAM 14
    @Heckler HERE Buck = 149 6/8
    @foodplot19 HERE
    @justinwmoe88 HERE
    @Fix HERE Doe = 50 Points
    @Tink-a-Link HERE
    @Happy HERE Doe = 50 Points
    @sycamoretwitch HERE
    @Trlblzr3 HERE
    @BuckHunterUnlimited HERE
    @Stickman HERE
    @fishsoft92 HERE

As you all get signed in I will mark you as accounted for… Most of you know the drill by now?! Name. Profession. State(s) you hunt. Goals for the season. Hit list bucks (trail camera photos are neat…). Food plots photos also neat I’m looking at you @foodplot19 and whatever else you’d like to include.

Typically the more active the group throughout the season the more enjoyment we will get out of the contest its self. It’s not about the score of your bucks or doe - every state has different genetics and standards - every hunter has different goals and aspirations!

In closing - if you kill a buck or doe and report as much on here. Please make an honest effort to get that kill posted in the official scorecard so we can get credit for it and celebrate your success. Thanks

Team Running Total: 349 6/8

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    foodplot19 likes this.
  2. sycamoretwitch

sycamoretwitch Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m currently on vacation in Travers City MI with my wife and my family… I’m usually not awake at this hour but this house is blazing as it’s unseasonably warm here and I can’t freaking sleep. Anyway here is a quick intro to get things started.

I’m James most people call me Twitch which is just my last name abbreviated. Professionally I am a health insurance advisor for a large firm headquartered in California - I sell companies health insurance is basically all that means. I have three primary properties in west central Indiana that I will be hunting. A 60 acre lease in Vigo Co. 5 minutes from my house with my hunting partner that is my primary spot. My own 15 acres that I live on - I rarely hunt this property but do have a couple first year micro food plots this year. And 80 private acres in Parke County, IN about 35 mins from my home that is big timber country in Indiana and likely my best opportunity to kill a big buck but easily the most challenging property hunt. I also have two prospective farms - one of which I have access to already and another that I’m still seeking permission on. I will probably determine in the coming weeks if either will be necessary but nice to have in my back pocket none-the-less.

I’ve got 3 cameras out right now on 2 of my properties. Will be setting some more out this next week once I return from Michigan on all 3 properties. Nothing all that exciting right now - a few nice one’s to watch but I’m hopeful a few bigs show up.

4B1AB1C3-A38C-40D4-8D47-A46DB3F14A75.jpeg

0916A945-3587-4F72-9E53-2D22D3624007.jpeg

D05FEEBC-3DD0-4A20-9E55-520CCF063C0A.jpeg

C32CC0B0-DF97-4617-9FA5-CBDD3A3CC815.jpeg

7210BC82-603C-4B94-9D42-5760F7C7CD4A.jpeg

I mentioned my food plots… I’ve done several over the years but none on the propert behind the house here.

This plot is going to be soy beans. It’s protected and has a sprinkler system hooked up to it - so it’s coming in nicely. It’s as much of an experiment as anything else - with the western edge of the plot being surrounded by old cattle fence and barn it’s probably not going to get a ton of attention and given the size of the plot that might be a good thing.

I will not be hunting directly over the plot anyway. It’s simple here to try and draw deer (bucks specifically) deeper into this small 15 acre property. Bucks using the northern part of the property don’t have a ton of motivate to use the south of the property unless they plan to cross a fairly busy road where the property narrows between my house and my neighbors.

I’ve got plot saver wrapped around the exterior that I’ve sprayed a couple times to hopefully cut down on the traffic. That’s typically the key for these late summer soy bean plots. I will probably not “open it up” until the first or second week in October.

03264162-8378-42BF-AA98-30B1E7DA50CB.jpeg

BD6930C3-0F6B-4516-9E9A-5C559E98D9E8.jpeg

11102535-B0EE-4485-A303-D08F236A9A9D.jpeg

430EBAE1-B47F-4040-97C1-5FE73325B42E.jpeg

6B52A503-D506-42E6-A215-E54DEB06C8A6.jpeg

Then I’ve planted some forage rape and some clover in a partial shade area that mostly acts as logging roads/trails on the property. I will post photos of those when I return as well - both plots were just planted at the beginning of the month.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    airenlow, foodplot19 and Fix like this.
  3. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What’s up guys!! Great to get this started again!! My name is Scott,” happy” as some people call me. I live in southern Lancaster county pa. I’m a residential construction foreman. I hunt a private farm which has been good to me over the years. Not piles of huge deer but lots of deer. I have been seeing some nicer ones in the past 5 or so years compared to other years. I shoot whatever gets me excited at the moment. I’m not a horn hunter .been doing this a loooong time.
    More to come later guys!! Looking forward to meeting you all. Time to get ready for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Fix and sycamoretwitch like this.
  4. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good morning guys, my name is Lloyd. I am retired so plenty of time to hunt. I live in Virginia and have access to about 3500 acres through a club. Also have about 150 acres I hunt in Ohio the last week of October. Just got back from putting out cameras and cleaning up tree stands on this property. Already got a couple on the hit list. Ok let’s get this party started.

Happy, Fix and sycamoretwitch like this.
  5. Trlblzr3

Trlblzr3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A few of my hit listers
    2DA595E2-6800-4C80-ACC1-62E47FDF5132.jpeg 9C82696D-6D51-402C-B462-F01B7A224BB9.jpeg FBA3A61B-E751-43F9-920D-AB2234C6D36C.jpeg

Attached Files:

Fix, MUDSHARK, airenlow and 1 other person like this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What up Team! Twitch we are going at it again this year I see. I'm Fix, most of you know me or have seen me around. I'm a NY guy so don't expect a booner. I'm definitely good for a doe. This year I only have two shooters I'm chasing. I hunt three or four spots each about 100 acres and one about 400 acres. My house is only 15 acres but I did kill a buck there last year so you never know. I promise to be the most active in here. I'm a field service engineer and work from home 90% of the time. If we all kill our does we can be in the fight guys.

MUDSHARK, gltomp, Happy and 3 others like this.
  7. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I should be good for a doe and a buck of some sort hopefully. History has shown to get at least one or two opportunities at bucks. IMG_0623.JPG IMG_2902.JPG
    These are my 2 best. Had a shot at another big 8 last year but didn’t work out. So they are around just need to find patience to get that opportunity. I get excited over all deer when the bow is in my hand.

airenlow, sycamoretwitch and Fix like this.
  9. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good Morning, my name is Carter. I answer to about anything though.
    My wife, 2 boys, and I live in West Central Missouri. Born and raised in the KC area. I'm a Journeyman Lineman by trade. I've been in the Trade for 30 years now. I'm currently in a management position with the large electric utility in our area over the line department at 3 metro centers.
    I hunt our farm, my families farm in NE MO, along with 2 local farms if I can get away from our boys sports. The oldest and I play ice hockey, the youngest swims.
    As @sycamoretwitch said, I do like doing food plots. The weather this year has been rough at our place. Really hot followed by cool and wet a couple different times. We were able to get in a small patch of beans that I don't have a pic of. The corn was a wreck, most of it rotted in the ground due to the cool/wet conditions. The clover did great!!! The "green/white" pic of it below was earlier in the year. The latest pic was 3 weeks after I sprayed the weeds out of it. It's blooming nicely now and the bees are loving it. We also have honey bees. The other pic is of the property looking across our tree planting and our switchgrass planting. We enrolled the tillable portion of our farm in to the Monarch Pollinator program 2 years ago. Our tillable groud is highly erodible so we went this way instead of farming it. Less of a gamble too.
    This is the first year, in several years, that we don't have pic's of any decent bucks. We normally have some really nice pic's by now. Granted, with "life" happening we don't have as many cameras out as we have in the past either.
    I've been on several teams over the years. The most fun I've had is with the teams that chat the most. We did come in second once which was a blast. Everyone participated even if they didn't kill something. I think I have as much fun or more preparing for deer season and watching deer as I do harvesting the animal.
    Like @Fix said, if everyone kills a doe we're right in the middle of it. The best advice I can give is have fun and do what you do. Don't do something that you're not comforable with. This is just a game. If you want to let one walk, then do so. It's "your" trophy and no one elses.

Attached Files:

Happy, sycamoretwitch and Fix like this.
  10. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Morning fellas (and potential ladies), I'm Jeff, but most people call be Tinker. I'm in auto finance so there is never a plethora of time for me to hunt, but I normally get a doe on the ground. I hunt central Minnesota, mostly ag land with tree lines, but I'm also going to expand to a few public tracts this year that have been good in the past for lots of movement during the early stages of the season. Attached are a couple of nice bucks that I'm chasing this year. Last year I saw the brow tine monster on stand but couldn't get him to commit to my decoy setup and never saw him again. I was very pleased when he showed back up in my first card pull a week ago.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

foodplot19 and sycamoretwitch like this.
  11. Tink-a-Link

Tink-a-Link Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Other info about me, I've got two girls 5 & 2 that love to spend time on the golf course and hopefully will be bow hunters in the future, and a loving/supportive wife who enjoys the taste of venison.

Additionally, this year, my home zone is on a more intensive harvest regimen as our population has really spiked over the last decade. I'll have three tags to fill, two doe and a hunters choice. If I don't post a harvested doe in the first couple weeks after season opener, its time for some encouragement from the team to shoot something. I'll have ample opportunity (probably), if history repeats itself.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Happy, Fix and foodplot19 like this.
  12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Boys don't forget to talk$hit in other threads. Mix it up a bit.

MUDSHARK, Logman and foodplot19 like this.
  13. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I have no issue with this. Work has me fairly tied up today.

14. airenlow

airenlow Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Team name...
    14 Days to Flatten the Buck

foodplot19 likes this.
  15. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Get outta here Josh yea damn sasquatch

airenlow, Happy and sycamoretwitch like this.
  16. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    There's always that one..........

17. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is already more conversation on here than the entire contest with my team last year. Almost like pulling teeth to get any response.

foodplot19 likes this.
  18. Happy

Happy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    What part of New York are you from? We go to a camp in potter county pa for late flintlock season that is only a few minutes from the border. Great hunting there!! Big woods and farmland.hole in the wall farms that are barely surviving but crops draw deer from the big woods. Always a good time chasing them around with the smoke pole.

19. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in Western by the lake between Rochester and Buffalo. Few dandy's up here(NY dandy's)

20. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heading to the shop Wednesday night to check my rig with the new BH's

MUDSHARK and foodplot19 like this.