Opportunities

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by Fix, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, what are you trying this year that is outside of your comfort zone. I don't wanna hear about what you do and have always done. Let's hear from people that are trying something completely new to them and why.

2. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to get my first bear this year. Had to revamp my whole way of thinking for hunting.
    Moved from the mountain's of Maryland to the coast of South Carolina. There definitely is way more pines and dense vegetation than there ever was in Maryland.
    Last year was to learn the land. This year is to adapt and overcome.
    And I'm taking a whole week off for hunting in October for opening week of bear season.
    Never had the chance to take a whole week off to hunt before. Always had been told "Your to essential for us to allow that much time off."
    That's why I left Maryland and moved south!

Fix likes this.
  3. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    More run and gun around home. I've always had my sets hung and ready for season.. when I go out of state I am chasing fresh sign and finding where the deer are instead of waiting for the deer to come to me. I have much more success that way and I want to put it into action around home. (where I do the majority of my hunting). I always have this mental dilemma at home that I need to be in a stand when I have the opportunity to do so. I need to step back and make the sits more worth while.

Fix likes this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    buying land in a state I have never hunted in and going balls deep.

My goal this year is to kill a deer in WI, MI, IN, MO, and possibly even IL.

I also got my Summit Open Shot today and plan on using the top half of that sucker and my saddle (no sticks!) nearly exclusively
    (exception being WI where I can use permanent ladder stands)

so that'll be a new experience, too.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spoke with my nephew and he wants to try a little THP public style.

6. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hitting a Deer with a Bow and Arrow LOL!!! Primary location right now is some small private property land (15 acres) with a few feeders on it, newly planted feed crop, and several stands to post up from on any given day.

Might attempt a public land spot and stalk early November, but we will see.

7. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting from a ground blind for the first time ever this year. Why? Bc A) the wife is hunting with me some this year. B) I think it will work well late season next to the food plot.

Here is a pic of blind location and an awesome picture of a line of does
    F9526FC6-CCE5-4245-8054-E678ECB1499C.jpeg DC7516FF-028A-45C0-9270-923E776705B7.jpeg

And if I havent killed a buck by late season, I’m going to hunt it hard instead of two or three days. The bucks I got on cam last year were later.

8. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Still trying to get my first Buck, changed from a tree climber to saddle hunting this yr.. move further back into the public forest since I dont have to carry a 30lb climber anymore.

tdk5525, Fix and slickbilly-d like this.
  9. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, now this is the first post I have ever seen on this site with like minded individuals! I love it when people want, and are willing, to go above and beyond that which is normal! I actually call it where "Adventure meets Discovery". I personally wouldn't have it any other way! All too often, many on here shoot deer from the same stand, same place, same tree, same area, same everything year after year, and for some reason they think they are a deer guru/amazing deer hunters-raising the bar only when God sends a bigger deer than the last one they shot (or in the score range they seek). Well duh! It's child play when every dots has been connected (e.g. location, deer numbers, deer size, etc.)! When they go outside their comfort zone (to hunt something like elk in my home State of Colorado), they fall flat on their face! They couldn't hunt themselves out of a wet paper sack! You see, I equate bow hunting to basketball. We all start directly under the basket. The first goal is to just hit the rim. Soon, we are hitting the rim and even sinking baskets, and thus, we start moving back and away from the basket! Eventually, we are sinking nine out of ten baskets from the free throw line (it's easy peasey, right?). But, can we really call it basketball, or ourselves basketball players? Have we faced an opponent, dribbled the ball through a tight key, or tried a shot from the corner? Likewise, if it's the same old same old, can we really call it hunting, or ourselves hunters? Have we taken shots from the ground-via sport and stalk, faced an elk on unfamiliar/different terrain, etc.? If it's the same game same court, I ask, is it no different than the Harlem Globe Trotters facing the Washington Generals...same game, same outcome? Boring!

So this year, outside my comfort zone....I will head to Spain to hopefully arrow a Fallow Deer and Roe deer. I have already arrowed an Iberian Red Deer (hind) but will try for a stag. I have killed wild boar, but will seek more along with Iberian mouflon. I will continue hunting deer in one of the remaining 24 states I have left to shoot a good representive deer. I am heading to Africa to take on a hippo in May 2022. Lastly, I will do my best to pass along what I can to those willing to listen and learn. It is merely a mission to plan, save, and then execute the plan.

Oh, by the way, seven days in Africa is like hunting a lifetime in North America!

10. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Although I accomplished my goal last season of taking a deer with my longbow, I what to try and take all deer with it this year. Also hunt from the ground alittle more. Shot one last year off a stalk and it was such a rush. Just want to continue on with the season I was having last year!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

11. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holt, I had the good fortune to be the first person to kill all five members of North American Deer (White-tailed deer, Coues deer, Mule deer Sitka Black-tailed deer, and Columbia Black-tailed deer) DYI in a single season...I did it exclusively with my bow. It was an amazing adventure! I shot three P&Y bucks, a forth that just missed the book, and a doe at the request of a land owner. This cumulative hunt was both challenging mentally and physically draining, in fact, I doubt I would try to do it again. It tested every ounce of my being to the very limit. I would love to see someone like you repeat the feat with your long bow! That would be COOL! I would be willing to help you (with contacts, etc.) every step of the way. I set the bar. I would love to see someone raise it!

tdk5525, wl704 and Holt like this.
  12. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell Oscar I said Hi! Good luck this year too, Will!

13. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Get a deer from the ground at camp. Camp is over run over by invasive buckthorn. You nearly have to crawl through it. Holds a ton of deer. I've been practicing kneeling and will wear my saddle knee pads to be able to drop to my bad old knees if need be. Camp is steep terrain...hard hunting.!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    tdk5525 likes this.