Range finders

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by kjstaudt86, Jul 8, 2021.

1. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to see what mostly everyone is using for range finders now days. I bought one when I first started bow hunting 6-7 years ago, but over the years, I feel like the range finder is getting worse and worse and sometimes it doesn't even pick up what I am trying to range. Granted it was a cheapo, and you get what you pay for.

PS- I don't need anything fancy, and won't be ranging elk 800 yards in the distance :lol:

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If money is no object, I hear the Leupold Full draw 4 is aces...

I don't have long range shots so the older Kilo 850 model fit my needs.

Looks like the Leupold may be cheaper than Sig for your 800yd need.

3. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Want to try and stay within the 100-200 range. I'm in E. Tx- so unless I am rifle hunting no more than 2-300 yards max in my future. Most of my bow opportunities are going to be within 40 yards max.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The kilo 1000 is running at 199 msrp... I've seen deals for less.

5. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've used the vortex ranger 1800. and after loosing it went to the impact 1000. Prices were $350 & $150. I love vortex optics as a go to. what i preferred most about these range finders was the readability of the Ranger 1800. With a red LCD display made it easy to read distance in shaded or dark areas. The Impact is black LCD makes it a bit more difficult but there is a work around. Both of these finders have LOS (line of sight) and "scanning" modes that give feedback on distance as the object moves. but the best feature for me was the HCD (Horizontal Component Distance) which does the math for you when looking up or downhill at a target.
    I have not had an opportunity to use it for hunting but I use it ever time Im at the range and EVERY 3d and tournament shoot out.
    Vortex also has discounts for military veterans.

kjstaudt86 likes this.
  6. bhod87

bhod87 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently got the Bushnell Prime 1300 and am happy with it. It has angle compensation and everything you should need and fits within your budget.

7. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I need a new rangefinder also. I’m still using the Nikon 440 I got WAY back in 2007. No ARC technology, absolutely worthless in low light. I’m pretty sure it was made for golfers.

I need to find one that has decent magnification and decent low light visibility.

8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like I need to check them out.

9. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use my range finder to check my shots at the range more than I use my Binos. It has a decent 6x magnification but a pretty narrow field of view. I liked the Ranger WAY more than the impact but for the cost difference there's very little that's different between the two. the Ranger had the red LCD readout that made it amazing in low light situations or looking in to dark bushes or back drops.

LittleChief likes this.
  10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    It would be interesting to see if I can make out what the readout says since I’m red/green colorblind.

11. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I currently have the Bushnell Scout ARC 1000 and the Vortex Razor HD 4000. Like previous replies, the Bushnell is tough with the black letters in the readout. Other than that, its a solid range finder. I have had that range finder for I am thinking close to 12 years. Last year I bought the Razor 4000 when I started long distance shooting, its a great range finder but for archery purposes it is overkill. Its a heavy piece of equipment when comparted to my Bushnell. The biggest draw to the Vortex for me was the warranty. If I had not gone with the Vortex, my second choice would have been a Sig.

12. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have red/green issues too and the red readout is tough at some points, but no worse that the black lettering on my Bushnell. The read out is also pretty large which seems to help me.

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Leupold RX 2800, and RX 1300i both are decent. The RX 2800 does more then I probably will ever need but it’s a nice unit. I still like my Leica CRF 2800 better though

14. Cory smith

Cory smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i have a vortex impact 1000 range finder and like it alot! very clear and good in low light. i dont remember the price point but i dont think it was too expensive.

15. Gabriel Denzine

Gabriel Denzine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What Ever you do, stay away from the cheap HELO's, you'll be pissed when china doesn't give your money back.

16. goldtipxt

goldtipxt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had 2 bushnells and they both sucked