New hunter - couple of questions

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Jodocy, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Jodocy

Jodocy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This fall will be my first year bowhunting - I've hunted with guns all my life (I'm 35 - big into upland birds with my dog and have always hunted deer rifle season) but never bow. Last winter during Covid I bought my brothers like-new compound bow (Xpedition archery Xception @ 60lb), got it to fit me, and got super addicted to the joys of target shooting it off my deck anywhere from 20-40 yards.

I'm trying to be a "mobile" hunter where I can get into almost any tree.

I have a setup where I'm comfortable getting in the tree safely (I use a lineman's belt and rock climbing harness, with beast sticks to climb), hanging the stand, transition into the stand, setting up my lifeline etc. I opted for a stand instead of a saddle setup this year.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what's the best way for me to hang my bow while I'm sitting in the tree. I don't really want to keep it on my lap. I'd like to not have anything that screws into the tree either because i don't want to damage it.

So to the millions of hunters who know a hell of a lot more than I do: what's your favorite way of doing it and why?

Thanks!

Andrew

2. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It’s not the most elegant out there these days but I always keep coming back to this one:

Bow Hanger - ON Your Tree Faster Than Your Old Screw-in - The ONLY Bow Hanger Legal to USE ON All State and Federal Lands - NO More Screw in Hook ! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075VSXX4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_B26HJQB9V7GF04YNZN3X

I don’t want to screw things into the tree either for the same reason. But this one lets me hold the bow on either side of the tree and my bow/quiver is never bumping the tree (I have a permanent mount quiver on my bow). I use an after market buckle strap like what you use on climbing sticks but it’s smaller. These to be exact:

Boaton Tree Stand Stabilizer Straps, Tree Stand Accessories, Hunting Utility Strap for Holding Climbing Tree Stand and Backpack, Hanging Trail Cameras and Holding Gear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B081HG6SVK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_4ZT21HPPJ6838ZMM57G2

I can pull it tight then kind of slide it down to cam it tight and it’s solid like a little tree stand for your bow kind of thing. Not the most fun to set up and take down but it works. Haven’t found anything else I like better yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01silverado likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I can't speak towards a non screw in bow hanger but welcome to the site

01silverado likes this.
  4. Jodocy

Jodocy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think that will work perfectly.
    Speaking of quiver that is my next thing - to get a permanent quiver attached to my bow. Any suggestions on quivers?

5. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! This is similar to the one I use:

Trophy Ridge Hex Light 2 Piece 5 Arrow Quiver, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K1HMSDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7HWN5HGPCFERH3TVPECH

Mines a slightly different design that I don’t think they sell anymore. But it’s the same mounting system as mine. It works really well and is solid as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This would be my 2nd yr of bow hunting myself and I have found depending on what tree you get in will determine the bow hanger you will use, I'm saddle hunting so picking a tree is between an Oak or Pine where I hunt, we have hard Oak but the sticks wont bite into the bark because the tree is really hard. I always have 3 things in my tote during hunting season, 1. a traditional screw-in bow hanger (HME Bow Hanger 20"), 2. Hero Clip Carabiner, (Amazon)which I attach to a tree limb if I have one near me. 3. Gear Hanger ( from Big Whitetail Dream) this is my main item I always carry in my saddle pouch. I also have Realtree EZ Hanger Mini, 7" 2 Pack (walmart) which I have used a few times and is real handy( that is also kept in my Saddle at all times.

7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A 2" tapered screw is not going to cause great distress to a tree, the concern is a bunch of metal being left in trees. That isn't fun for sawmills when the tree gets harvested. My State doesn't prohibit using screw in type equipment but I strongly feel it's important to remove anything we put into trees once we leave. I'm adamant about this even on my own property.
    There are some good clamp on style holders that will fasten right to your stand frame. @LittleChief uses one on his climber and simply climbs the tree with his bow in the holder. I've been wanting to try this with my climber and just ordered a clamp on the other day to try this season.
    Not the exact one I ordered, but here's an example of a clamp on holder:
    Amazon.com : HME Products Universally Mountable Bow Holder Olive, 1.50 x 5.75 x 8.00 : Hunting And Shooting Equipment : Sports & Outdoors

LittleChief likes this.
  8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    This is the one I use. Since I climb with my bow in the holder (like you said)I’m not sure I’d be willing to trust one that is easily removable or is hand tightened because I wouldn’t want it to work loose while climbing.

It sure won’t help a saddle hunter though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Third-Hand-T...s=third+hand+bow+holder&qid=1629906338&sr=8-3

9. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered one that doesn't have wimpy wingnuts, but it is the two straight prongs type for holding the bow limb. I can see where yours would hold better with the weight of the bow leaned into it. I think I'll just use the one on order on my permanent ladder stand and order one like yours for my climber. Thanks for showing the exact one you use.

10. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Two suggestions if you do: before you install it use a grinder or file to round the corners of the metal plates that will be on the inside of your climber and once it’s installed cut the excess thread off the four bolts that fasten it to the stand.

If you don’t it can snag your camo and rip a hole when you climb, especially if you wear 3D camo like I do.

I also hit mine with a coat of grey spray paint to keep corrosion at bay. Just don’t paint the rubber. :lol:

Mod-it likes this.
  11. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, one more question for you that just occurred to me.
    This year's bows have a pretty wide split limb configuration, my new one is very wide a lot like your new V3 is. Have you tried your V3 in your holder yet? I'm worried the holder may not be deep enough to hold the new limbs well.

12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I haven’t checked it yet but it worked fine with the Triax I had a few years ago.

I’ll dig a stand out of storage and check it though.

13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Okay. I just pulled one of my Summit Vipers our and put the top section on a tree.

I’m glad you asked because the limbs on the V3 are more “parallel” than the Heli-m or the Triax so I had to adjust the holder. I probably would have shown up in the woods next weekend, found that I couldn’t use it to climb and wouldn’t have had my bow hoist with me.

Once adjusted it fits and holds fine.

I got it adjusted so that the riser is parallel with the climber rail. That’s important because I never just let the bow bounce. When I grab the rail to climb I have my right pinky wrapped around the grip of the bow to stabilize it.

As you can see in the pics, though, when set up for hunting that same setting has the bow leaning out farther than I like but it’s still rock solid and it would still be minimal movement to get my bow hand on the bow and raise it up so it’ll work for me.

One thing to remember about doing this though. I want the bow on my left since that’s my bow hand. In this case the quiver has to come off to use the holder.

If you insist on hunting with the quiver on I suppose you could put it on the other side, but I don’t want to have to reach across my body for the bow.
    upload_2021-8-25_15-0-32.jpeg
    upload_2021-8-25_15-0-48.jpeg

14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
  15. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Good deal. The pics help a lot, appreciate it! I'd want mine on the left as well. I always take my quiver off once at sitting height anyway, no issues with that.
    Looks like the outer limb doesn't have a lot of real estate that is being grabbed. I think I may throw a "ball bungee" on it just for extra security when climbing. Something like this:
    Riverstone Bungee Balls — 10-Pack, Black, Model# SC-BB10 | Northern Tool

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    LittleChief likes this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve used one of those before but it was just one more step that I found unnecessary. It’s a good idea if it gives you a little peace of mind though.

As to the outer limb not having as much contact, I’m not going to worry about it. It doesn’t need much contact, but even if it didn’t make contact, if that inside limb can’t handle about 3 or 4 pounds of weight then then the bow is going to explode when I draw it anyway.

17. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    I was just thinking that if the outside limb slipped out the bow may twist and the whole thing could fall. I wouldn't worry about the inside limbs holding the weight at all either.

18. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Also, I'll have you know that now if you go out and stick a deer on your first hunt I'm going to claim an assist.
    At the end of the season when your 15 or 16 deer are tallied, by then my assist will have grown to "He couldn't have had a season like that without my help!".
    :biggrin:

LittleChief likes this.
  19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough. :lol:

One add on to this: Regarding the outer limb not having as much contact, keep in mind that it only has partial contact on one side. The top side has full contact and that coating is pliable rubber. Two limbs, four sides, 3 1/4 sides have contact and this is a heavy bow. The bow isn't going anywhere.

I said that I'd tried the ball bungee before and discarded it. That was because I found that having my finger wrapped around it held the bow more solidly than the bungee.

Mod-it likes this.
  20. joshuasaul

joshuasaul Newb

Dislikes Received: