Cable-Driven vs Limb Driven Rests

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by cantexian, Jun 25, 2021.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have always shot a whisker biscuit for the sake of simplicity and fewer moving parts. But, I am considering switching to a drop away. I am also considering upgrading to a newer whisker biscuit model if I do not like the answers provided. :poke::beer:

As the title suggests: the main difference between cable-driven vs limb-driven drop away? Pros and Cons? A reliable model under $100?

Price point limit is due to the fact that I can upgrade to the top of line whisker biscuit for under $100. Not going to pay more for a drop away for this reason.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    oldnotdead and dnoodles like this.
  3. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It has happened I'm sure but never to me.

5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also I reread what I wrote and wanted to clarify. I use a HDX but the one I posted wasn't but it meet the monetary requirements.

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've never personally used or set up a limb-driven rest, so I can't speak to those. I've set up dozens of cable-driven dropaways through the years and haven't had any major issues with them. The past 4 or 5 seasons we've been using the HHA Virtus and have been very happy with them. Retail is just over your $100 mark ($120), but it's worth it. USA-made, built like a tank, backed by a great warranty and customer service, and 2.2% of proceeds to go benefit veterans battling mental illness.

Mark M. Carey likes this.
  7. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Only issues I've heard with drop aways also could screw you with a whisker biscuit - - ice. Really if you're sitting in freezing rain or sleet.

I've been shooting hdx for a while no issues... I'm seldom in freezing precip in NC, so ymmv...

dnoodles likes this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    also an HDX guy, been one for years, only ever had one failure and it rained then turned to ice.
    I have also have WBs do that more than once.

I used to run a limb-driven Trophy Taker, it was fine but not quite as contained as the QADs and also the string will Murphy on you and grab onto stuff while you are walking around. It would grab onto my release hook all the dang time for some reason (I use a fang-style release.)

Never shot RipCords or HHAs but those that I know who do have no complaints about either of those, either. One thing I like about the Rips is they use a kind of neoprene/rubberized kind of material on the contact part that doesn't need the felt/moleskin like the HHAs and QADs. But over the years on the chats I have seen probably more complaints about Rips mechanically failing that HHA or QAD combined.

9. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shot QAD drop for years, switched this year to the HHA virtus, it’s great. There customer service is awesome. I bought the Mathews mount model by mistake and contacted them and they shipped out the standard mount for no charge, I was just looking to buy the standard mount from them.

10. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love mine and never had an issue until I had my strings changed and he didn't tighten a screw. When I figured it out the fix was really simple. Now you have to know me to understand the importance of that last sentence...lol

LittleChief likes this.
  11. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had a QAD Integrated on my Hoyt. For some reason it started throwing a arrow wild every once in a while. No idea why. Pulled it and slapped an old NAP Carbon Apache back on. Zero issues.
    I personally prefer a cable drive over a limb drive, less cordage to get caught on stuff.

12. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot my Limbdriver ProV for years...and honestly outside of liking the containment of a Virtus I wouldn't have even thought about switching but actually just had the bow shop order me an HHA Virtus the other day.

13. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been contemplating what I want to put on my new bow (if it ever arrives).
    Right now I have a QAD and really like it. I love being able to lock it into the up position when I know elk are close and I don't have to worry about it rattling around if I have to reposition, or whether the arrow is in the correct position once I finally draw.
    My BIL recently got a new V3 and went with a Hamskea limb driven on it. I've never used a limb driven, but seeing all that cable makes me nervous to walk through thick/brushy timber and not snag it a lot. He also had to glue an arrow holder to the shelf to hold his arrow in place since the rest can't be locked up.
    I think I'm going to stay with a cable driven. I'd really like to find one that has a launcher made from something that doesn't make noise when an arrow is drawn across it so I don't have to mess with felt or moleskin anymore but that doesn't seem to exist.

14. Ashley Adams

Ashley Adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Limb driven has been my go to and what I’ve always been recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums