***Official Live From the Stand Thread 2021

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got bit by the bug early this year! Been slowly getting my fat butt into shape. I have another convenient school schedule for the fall and should get a large amount of time in the woods. I'll be closing on a house in the next month or two so it'll be a mad rush up until the season. I'll be in the same spot I've been for years, public land in CT.
    I need to get a new set of strings on the bow and I'll be in business!

Where are my LFTS brothers at!!!

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know if I've ever participated in the LFTS thread, but I'll play along!

54 days until I'm chasing antelope in Wyoming and just about 90 days until Colorado elk. I have no idea how much time I'll have to deer hunt this fall based on work and kids' sports schedules, but I'm sure I'll sneak out a time or two. I have no plans or expectations going into this season so I'm going to play most of it by ear. I currently don't have any working trail cameras in the woods and probably won't have any for a few weeks yet. Whatever bucks are around in October are the ones I'll be chasing, trail cam pics or not.

I have a V3 31 that's pretty much ready to hunt right now, and a V3 27 that's still sitting in the box. Looks like a good amount of rain over the next week so I'm hoping for some canceled baseball games that will give me an excuse to sequester myself in my man cave and get that setup.

3. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Starting to design my arrows for the fall. Bow getting restrung in the next couple weeks. Been keeping my mind occupied by fishing. This fall may be tight bc my oldest is in college now. She used to help me out here and there for sports rides for my 12 yr old. Plus I'm gonna want to go watch her college games. I'll find a way to have fun and get it done...that prob means operating on minimal sleep. Haha. Good look fellas.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking forward to this year because I'm now officially a saddle bruh! We'll see how that goes for this old man.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    We like to be called Saddle Bois.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to pack everything and get myself comfortable for a long sit in a saddle. I really struggled last year without a treestand to use as the "frame" of my pack. I never realized how much I used the stand to strap all of my stuff onto. I ended up using some ridiculously huge backpack that weighed almost as much as a Lone Wolf Assault and in the end I didn't feel like I was saving all that much weight or that I was any more mobile than I was before. There were a few times when I wished I just had my trust Assault and LW climbing sticks, that's for sure.

When it was warmer and I wasn't packing a lot of extra clothing in, it wasn't bad. Once it got colder I struggled to try and find the best way to lug everything around.

I also struggled with getting comfortable enough to sit still for longer than a few minutes at a time. I felt like I was constantly fidgeting around, adjusting my tether height, moving the weight on my feet, etc.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Way too early for me to start thinking about hunting. I'm dreading the heart of Summer heat, the glimpses of what lies ahead a few times this Spring were enough, but we're only one day into Summer.

Maybe late August when we're within 40 days of season opener :lol:

foodplot19 and Swamp Stalker like this.
  7. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to Wyoming in September for elk, antelope and hopefully bear. Of course, Illinois WT when I can fit it in.
    New VPA heads this year proved themselves worthy today on this guy. All’s well! EFF3A91C-2000-439F-AF44-00C9AD3C3EA5.jpeg

oldnotdead, camo75, JeffC and 5 others like this.
  8. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The packing struggle is the main reason I stayed with my climbing method and platform. I bungee everything to it like I did when I used the summit viper or LW w/ sticks. As you said, early season is no problem, but I felt like a damn sherpa when it was cold, especially walking as deep as I do. I walk in wearing shorts and a t-shirt with everything rolled up on my platform. I also use a waist pack :dan:and that eliminates the backpack. I sometimes wish I could just hang a stand or two and make my life easier, but...I'll never see deer doing that where I hunt.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For many years my mobile setup was a fanny pack w/backpack straps as my first "layer", then my LW Assault on top of that with my sticks, extra clothes, harness, camera arm, and whatever else I needed to carry bungeed onto the platform. It works great and I can set it up and take it down in my sleep.

I love the idea of the saddle, I just need to find the right method that works for me. In all fairness, I fine-tuned my Lone Wolf set up over the last 15 seasons. I've hunted out of a saddle less than a dozen times.

10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ready. MT for elk in Sept, deer season will be open in NC early Sept.

Like others life will get in the way a good bit this summer and fall. 40% of the kids moving for college or grad school, 20% getting married, new property we will be closing on will need some work, and a reflooring job in the kitchen /FR will scope creap into new counters and the continuing ask of my wife to paint the cabinets (imho you don't paint natural wood grain cabinets).

For now, hunting wise, I'm only looking to train and prep for my elk hunt...

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping the fact that WI is starting the 3rd weekend of September will make for a bit cooler Opening Day than in years past. Although I do enjoy posting my traditional Opening Day bare leg-selfie for all you ladies.

12. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

A bit conflicted now. Usually LFTS gets set off during early deer season somewhere, not sure if you have the final kill for the 2020 season or first for the 2021 since IL deer bag limit runs July 1st to June 30th :lol:

Is that from here in IL or elsewhere? Couldn't imagine hunting big game in this weather.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm having a hard time getting motivated for hunting this year. Hopefully the bug kicks in once it get closer to the season. I did buy a bag of mineral today to put behind the house, that's the first thing I've done in months that related to hunting. Most of my free time this year has been dedicated to a old habit. I use to race mountain bikes and I started riding again. My goal is to work myself back in shape to be able to do a race this year. Got a long way to go, but that's the plan. As for hunting I just plan to keep everything the same as last year and keep working the public land around here and my be fit in a couple new property's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

virginiashadow and Swamp Stalker like this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you want to break your collar bone? Because that is how you break your collar bone......

:lol: J/K but was the first thought that came to mind when we try to relive our youth.

Kill it, then kill a deer or 3

Swamp Stalker and Holt like this.
  16. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got him in Tennessee this morning. Was 65 on the mountain this morning. Perfect day for a spot n stalk, rained last night.

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    How old are you?
    IIRC, you are almost same age as me. I hit 35 and me and my riding buddy started calling trail riding "Getting Hurt."

Me: Hey dude, it's perfect weather- wanna go Get Hurt?

Buddy: Ah, man...I dunno...

Me: C'mon you effing pansy!

Buddy: alright, eff it, where we gonna go Get Hurt?​

That lasted about 4 years. Aside from some very easy gravel trails, my bike has remained hung up in the garage for about 4 years now...Getting Hurt started to happen more and more often and last longer every time.

cantexian and Swamp Stalker like this.
  18. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It does happen, but mostly with dirt jumpers. I've alway wanted to do that since I was a kid, but know it would only be a matter of time before I did hurt my self. I just raced cross country (XC) and always loved it.

cls74 likes this.
  19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm will be 41 this year. I raced for 8 years then just stopped when I had my first kid, no time ride and keep in shape that I wanted, so I just gave it up completely. That was 8 years ago. I got in about 6 rides so far and worked my way up to 20 miles on one of them. The sport has changed and I hardly know anyone on the group rides, but having blast getting back into it!

virginiashadow and dnoodles like this.
  20. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Track or trail, they both have their nuances,
    but both similar in an O'chit moment :lol: