Fixed head blade sharpening using flat stone

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Jun 21, 2021.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wanting some input. I am looking to switch to a fixed solid blade head this year. Something like the G5 Montec or Muzzy One. What I am curious about is when I am sharpening them or touching them up after being shot and I am using some type of flat stone to sharpen the head , should I use some type of oil on the stone or do it dry?

2. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I always use oil. When I use a stone at work to knock high spots down on flat metal surfaces or pulled bolt holes, I use tap magic. At home I just use gun oil.

Side note: They really should make a candle that smells a hot drill bit burning through tap magic.

Mod-it and JHasty like this.
  3. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input slickbilly! I have some odorless oil from dead down wind that I use on some of my other hunting stuff I was just worried about putting any type of oil on a flat stone and it messing it up from the sharpening stand point. I have always used mechanicals so I just replace the blades when needed so shooting and sharpening fixed head blades is something new to me this year. I appreciate your help!

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I could actually smell the Tap Magic hitting the hot bit when I read your comment.
    Agree about it being a great candle scent. It would sell like hotcakes for men to burn in their shops.

JHasty and slickbilly-d like this.